PDA

View Full Version : Phillip Island Aerodrome

continueapproach737
12th Dec 2016, 09:37
Does anyone know who owns/manages YPID?

fujii
12th Dec 2016, 10:46
Thought it closed a couple of years back.

jas24zzk
12th Dec 2016, 11:12
yer, i believe its angry palm tree access only now

Squawk7700
12th Dec 2016, 18:07
It's still a fully functioning heliport.

The operators are onsite pretty much most days.

http://www.phillipislandhelicopters.com.au

continueapproach737
12th Dec 2016, 21:31
im aware it closed, the question was "who owns/manages", i have an individual who would fund the airfield development (new runway, taxiway, apron) to enable it back to use for private and commercial operations. Remember the good ol days of a good half a dozen twins an evening to visit the penguins...

CYHeli
12th Dec 2016, 21:38
Contact Dave Dodson or Ian Batton via the website.
I'm not sure who owns, but the PIH company leases the helipad. As far as I know, they were struggling with the lack of visitors / landing fees to make it worth keeping the runway and lights operating.
Shame that it wasn't being used, great opportunity for surfers and beach lovers to go down after work, get fish and chips and hit the waves. All within walking distance.

Squawk7700
13th Dec 2016, 04:49
It has been owned by potential developers for a long time, a consortium looking to make an investment. I can't see it being resurrected as it would not be possible to be viable as an airfield compared to the cost of land for housing... now where have we heard that line before?

My understanding is that the owners applied to develop it and were advised that they can't because it's an in-use airfield, so they simply and abruptly closed the runway. The runway area was also leased so a lack of use wasn't really an issue, as long as the rent was paid.

It is now gone forever.

IFEZ
13th Dec 2016, 05:10
It is now gone forever.

Which is a damn shame. Used to love flying in and out of there http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Commercial reality strikes again I guess.

Al E. Vator
14th Dec 2016, 00:53
Buy land further west and make a new airport

OR

Use land within the Phillip Island raceway complex? It's nearer the penguins (which is why people usually go there in the first place), the neighbours don't mind a little noise and there are already facilities there which could double as a terminal.

I'll only take 5% commission for this brilliant idea. :)