PDA

View Full Version : Sunair grounded

headwires
8th Dec 2016, 22:23
When I heard the phrase "aviation expert" I expected to see Peter Clark... :rolleyes:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/tauranga-based-airline-grounded-civil-aviation-authority-over-serious-safety-concerns

Fris B. Fairing
8th Dec 2016, 23:08
Just curious. What's the purpose of that transparent panel under the nose of the Aztec?

zlin77
8th Dec 2016, 23:15
It covers the recessed landing light introduced on the "E" model....

TTY
8th Dec 2016, 23:17
"Just curious. What's the purpose of that transparent panel under the nose of the Aztec?"
'F' model Aztec .. Landing light cover.

Band a Lot
8th Dec 2016, 23:37
Why not wait and issue grounding 1 minute after close of business on Christmas Eve!

That's the Ozy way!!

tail wheel
9th Dec 2016, 00:43
Listening to that TV interview, one can not help but notice what appears to be a very big difference between NZ CAA regulatory action and CASA regulatory action.

One is for ten days with the obvious intent of giving time to rectifying real or perceived deficiencies, the other is a vindictive action intended solely to destroy a business.

Capt Claret
9th Dec 2016, 01:38
Hey Tailie, I didn't think the Kiwi's sounded that bad! :E

IsDon
9th Dec 2016, 01:53
When I heard the phrase "aviation expert" I expected to see Peter Clark... :rolleyes:

Geoffrey Thomas in drag! :eek:

Jbrownie
9th Dec 2016, 08:01
What actually happened? I thought in regards to AC and pilots it was a tight ship? Spoke to the young CP a few times, hes a good bloke...

Gate_15L
9th Dec 2016, 09:42
At least Irene King has actually had aviation industry experience, unlike a lot of the other BS aviation "experts" that usually get bantered out....

troppo
10th Dec 2016, 06:02
To play the devil's advocate... Why use clapped out old aztecs instead of caravans under annex 6 of the Chicago convention?

27/09
10th Dec 2016, 07:37
To play the devil's advocate... Why use clapped out old aztecs instead of caravans under annex 6 of the Chicago convention

Aww I dunno, but I'd guess being able to get about 15 Aztecs to one Caravan for the same outlay, payloads generally of 3-4 PAX, and the complexities of SE IFR might have something to do with it.

1a sound asleep
12th Dec 2016, 19:02
ANY UPDATES?

LPS500
15th Dec 2016, 18:20
SunLive - Sunair flying again - The Bay's News First (http://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/142852-sunair-flying-again.html)

Tauranga airline Sunair will be returning to the skies after the Civil Aviation Authority reissued their air operator certificate.

Last Friday SunLive reported the airline had been grounded for 10 days following a complaint.

We can now report the complaint came from CAA itself.

Sunair co-owner Dan Power says during a routine audit, the CAA became concerned the company's senior team was too small for the size of the business.

“They had concerns around our management structure as not being adequate for the size and complexity of the business. I addressed that, and they're accepting of the fix.”

He says it was not difficult to get the certificate reissued, although roughly thirty flights had to be cancelled during the period the airline was grounded.

“Hopefully the week's suspension hasn't affected our customer base to any extent.

“We provide essential services to remote areas, which no one else does. So it has had an effect on the travelling public in those areas.”

Dan emphasises there were no other issues for the CAA regarding Sunair.

“It needs to be made clear there were no concerns from the regulator about the proficiency of our flight crew or the air-worthiness of the aeroplanes. There weren't aeroplanes flying around prior to the shutdown that were not up to standard.”

He says the company is now looking forward to returning to normal service.

“The future is bright; we're busier than ever.”

27/09
2nd Jan 2017, 19:00
Hmmm, I would have thought the CAA would have given them a time frame to fix this sort of problem before shutting them down.

Jbrownie
3rd Jan 2017, 05:33
Bit rough CAANZ. Not many GA operators in NZ, they should get full support instead of stupid minor strifes like this one. Agree with 27/09, should of given them time to fix issue, it wouldnt of taken very long anyway.

27/09
3rd Jan 2017, 06:37
Bit rough CAANZ. Not many GA operators in NZ, they should get full support instead of stupid minor strifes like this one. Agree with 27/09, should of given them time to fix issue, it wouldnt of taken very long anyway.

I think you missed my sarcasm. I'm pretty sure CAA would have given them time. I don't accept the press release at face value.

I have to wonder there's more to this event. Perhaps it was a senior person issue that had dragged on too long.

I have no inside info but find it hard to accept CAA shut them down without giving them time to sort it out.

To Sunair's credit they got it sorted and are back in operation.