PDA

View Full Version : Flying hours on job applications

Big Neil
8th Dec 2016, 08:37
Hi guys,
I just wanted to know what the general consensus is about applying for a job that you don't yet have the hours for, however you will easily have the hours once the notice period is complete.
i.e you need 1,000 hours but you only have 920 hours. However you are consistently flying 70 hours a month with a 3 month notice period.
Ok to apply and give (very likely) expected hours (1000+) on completion of notice period?
Waiting 1 month isn't long I know, but sometimes oppurtunities come and go very quickly, lots to do with timing.
Thanks

RAFAT
8th Dec 2016, 16:52
If you had 920 hours but claimed 1000 hours during the application process and then attended an interview where they're likely to check your logbook, you'll be caught out. Additionally, some application processes require you to scan the last two or three pages of your logbook so you have no choice but to state your actual hours. My view is to say exactly what you have, mention the likelihood of having a 1000 hours shortly, then hope that the recruitment people can work it out.

FlyingStone
8th Dec 2016, 17:29
You've got nothing to loose. State the actual amount of hours you have, and if 80 hours less than the requirement is something they can't get past even though you will exceed it probably by the time you do the assessment, well, at least you've tried.

Much easier to explain to the person in the room why you applied without meeting requirements compared to why you falsified your CV. If they have at least a bit of common sense, it shouldn't be a problem.

RVF750
8th Dec 2016, 17:50
Can only agree with the above. Never make it up or add a bit. We work in an industry where numbers are discrete. ~It's either right or wrong.

You'll never know when you'll get that call to interview, so put your hours correct to the day and update it when you can.

Best of luck.

Big Neil
9th Dec 2016, 09:48
Thank you chaps. Really useful information.

Smokie
10th Dec 2016, 01:23
Depends on who you are seeking employment with.
If you are short then Tough. I constantly see agencies looking for xxx hours and even though you know you will have the hours by the time it all filters through. You get rejected because you don't have the hours they are asking for. Occasionally some will take this into consideration but very few do.

Feather44
10th Dec 2016, 18:04
I totaly agree with Smokie.

RAFAT
10th Dec 2016, 22:55
I'm afraid I don't. It doesn't depend upon whom you're applying to, don't tell porkies about your hours, period!

FoxChaRomeo
11th Dec 2016, 10:38
Don't fabricate. Too easy to check, and if you're found out, that's it with that carrier, potentially for a long time, not just until you have the requisite hours.

Talk to the company... they're all humans. I was short for the BA DEP recruitment this summer, I spoke to them, gave them an estimate of when I would be there, and they said apply and make a note on the application.

Good luck.

sten.erlandsson
20th Dec 2016, 09:44
1000 hours might be for the insurance company so do not fabricate your flight hours.