PDA

View Full Version : Peter Latham AFC

m.street
7th Dec 2016, 09:12
I though the “slightly elder” members of PPRuNe might like to know that my father in law Peter Latham died on Sunday aged 91, after a short illness. The funeral is being arranged for early in the new year.

Bro
7th Dec 2016, 10:23
Sorry to hear that. He was a true old-fashioned gentleman.

Vampiredave
7th Dec 2016, 10:49
I was quite upset to receive this news. I met him when he was in the back seat of the first Hawk to arrive at Chivenor when the station re-opened in August 1980. He was later a great source of help with regard the 263 Squadron Meteor and 111 Squadron Hunter aerobatic teams, and generously provided the Foreword to my book on RAF aerobatic teams. He possessed a good sense of humour and was a great raconteur. I am sorry to read of his passing. Blue Skies, Sir.

Bill Macgillivray
7th Dec 2016, 20:39
Sorry to hear the news. RIP Sir.

Bill

m.street
8th Dec 2016, 06:34
Obituary in today's Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2016/12/08/air-vice-marshal-peter-latham-leader-black-arrows-obituary/

Danny42C
8th Dec 2016, 08:14
Dr. "Pete" Latcham (Flt Lt) was our medical officer on 110 (Hyderabad) Squadron in India/Burma 1942/43.

Any relation ?

Danny42C.

D120A
8th Dec 2016, 16:43
m.street please see your PMs

m.street
8th Dec 2016, 19:03
Danny I don't think my father in law had any air force relatives. However, I think most who met him didn't forget him.

Great admirer of your exploits.
Best regards to you

Strasse

FAStoat
8th Dec 2016, 21:54
Do I correctly recall that he was Station Commander at RAF Tengah around 1969,and used to zoom about in a Yellow Ferrari 250GT??Something similar anyway if memory banks dont deceive me?A true Gentleman and superb Aviator.RIP

kenparry
9th Dec 2016, 07:16
Do I correctly recall that he was Station Commander at RAF Tengah around 1969,
He was. I can't vouch for the car; but I know this because just before his departure to Tengah, I had the privilege of giving him a very brief Hunter refresher. He had been in a staff post at HQ 38Gp and went to Tengah at very short notice - too short for a proper refresher course. It was a pleasure to watch him fly - it was as though he was fully current, rather than several years away from the type. Some years later I worked for him when he was again at HQ 38 Gp, as SASO, in the mid-70s. A true gentleman.

m.street
9th Dec 2016, 08:05
Barbara tells me, that the Yellow Ferrari was actually Eric Bennett's, but Peter used it at times. I believe Eric was given the Ferrari by King Hussain of Jordan for saving his life whilst teaching him to fly. Apparently someone tried to shoot them down and Eric outflew them, got them down first and the King then sorted things out!!! That's the story anyway, not sure of the veracity but it is a good story.
That is apparently one of the reasons King Hussain gave the Sultan of Oman the 30 boxed Hunters and hence the joke about Eric being AOC of 6 when he commanded SOAF.

Danny42C
9th Dec 2016, 11:45
m.street (#8),

Thank you.

Danny.

FAStoat
9th Dec 2016, 15:34
Thanks for that!!I was wondering if my memory was slipping!!I was only there a few times,and remember whilst eating an excellent Chicken Curry in a Chuppati with a can of Tiger, on a street corner,a Yellow Ferrari drove past and stopped.It was being driven by a Two ringer "Rock Ape" ,grinning from ear to ear,having been asked to give it an airing ,as it was not driven very often by Peter Latham!!!The said Regiment Officer turned out to be a shortish tubby bloke with bright red cheeks,who could put a few away,and so had a reputation as a PH&W!!!!Having been seen in it,he had to put a few on his chitty!!!Happy Days,and excellent memories!