PDA

View Full Version : another acid reflux thread.

rans6andrew
6th Dec 2016, 22:50
New thread so as not to hijack the other one. For about a year I have suffered from acid reflux/ bloating after meals/ intermittent stomach cramps. My self diagnosis was some sort of blockage in my bowels causing food to be slowed down when leaving my stomach. I came to this conclusion from the observation that it took about 6 hours for the symptoms to go away after eating. Two doctors and several pharmacists have told me that restrictions or partial blockages don't happen. About 2 weeks ago I had stomach ache worse than ever. Much rumbling and pain which moved after a while then built up further down, several times, for most of the night. I have tried the normal remedies for digestion issues but none of them helped.

Well, the doctors ans pharmacists are all wrong. Something happened last Monday which confirmed my theory and I have been free of acid, bloating and discomfort ever since.

There must be a delicate way to explain......... it escapes me.

Here goes. My bowel movements have been easy and regular for years. Last Monday morning was normal. At first. About an hour afterwards I felt the need to go again, strange. Anyway, I went to the wee room and sat on the throne but nothing was happening. I pushed a bit harder, nothing. The need to go was increasing so I pushed a bit harder. Suddenly everything started to happen and I passed a firm lump of stuff. A bit like an explosive de-compression. It felt somewhat larger than my normal movement, like I had passed a tennis ball. The sudden pressure reduction right through my bowels had to be felt to appreciate the effect.

Since then, no pain, no acid in the throat, no bloating for hours after meals. Eight nights of sleep undisturbed by my insides complaining. Magic. We even went for a Christmas dinner on Friday and I ate more than usual, washed down with a couple of beers, late in the evening. Then home, cocoa and bed. No problem.

cavortingcheetah
7th Dec 2016, 12:46
Didn't you recover and remove the suspected foreign object from its watery ditching point? Surely a jam jar could have played a useful part in this exercise in space style recovery and you could then have whipped it gingerly round to your local path lab for analysis. A brown glass jar would have been your best choice as a storage unit for then, apart from the reasonably obvious camouflage benefits, no direct light could have contaminated the purity of your expulsive excrement.

rans6andrew
7th Dec 2016, 15:12
No, I didn't think to retrieve it as I had no idea what I would do with it had I done so. The relaxation of pressure was so great that I was just happy that it was gone. At the time I didn't know if the relief was momentary or long lasting. Now I know.

Loose rivets
7th Dec 2016, 20:32
Bloody Nora.

I'd have put it in a giant petri dish and fed it, clapping the lid down sharply afterwards.

But to be serious for a moment, I'd be concerned about diverticulitis. Too big for the contents of a pocket by the sound of it but it really does sound as though something was introduced into the bowl that couldn't have arrived without you noticing. I hope!

If you have the slightest tendency towards hypochondria DO NOT Google Man with giant colon.

cavortingcheetah
7th Dec 2016, 22:11
Suffering succotash, never, ever, watch Alien.

onetrack
8th Dec 2016, 14:00
Apples are one of the finest gut cleansers one can find. Malic Acid is great stuff. The old saying that goes, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away", has much more truth behind it, than one would initially suspect.

Grated apple is one of natures best cures for any mild stomach upset or mild food poisoning (I mean mild - if you have serious gut pain or have contracted a major dose of gastroenteritus, that has resulted in severe dehydration or blood in your stools, then a doctor is definitely called for).

Malic acid is an important component of the Krebs cycle (also known as the Citric Acid cycle, which is the bodys chemical cycle which converts foods into energy.
Malic acid is know to be a potent bacteria-killer and a potent energy booster.
I find my overall health has improved since I've made a point of eating one large Fuji apple a day.
Bowel regularity is increased with the addition of an apple a day to ones diet, and bowel regularity is an important part of good health.

cavortingcheetah
8th Dec 2016, 17:11
This is Pearl weekend so in order to expand the breadth and depth of the conversation a little further, I wonder whether anyone has thought of this interesting little paradigm, if not in the specific context as described of course, but rather in a general one?
https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/3490/

gingernut
10th Dec 2016, 19:09
rans, your bowel habit is unlikey to be related to your upper symptoms, and it sounds like this could be just a coincidence.

You really need to see a quack if you have a change in bowel habit. Usually something and nothing, but your symptoms need sifting, and, at the very least, someone needs to feel your tummy and stick a finger up your bum.

rans6andrew
10th Dec 2016, 20:49
I might have caused a little confusion in my thread OP when I referred to bowels instead of intestines. I still think I had a blockage somewhere high in my intestine which was causing food to be very slow exiting my stomach. This was the cause of the bloating and reflux for up to 6 hours after eating. When the discomfort a little lower down reached it's peak and it started to move down in stages to the dam busting moment was four days of rumbling, grumbling and churning.

It is now coming up to a fortnight since and all is well. I can have my dinner in the evening and toddle off to bed an hour later without any fear of it pushing up in my throat. No acid, no churning and no pain or cramps. My movements are satisfyingly regular and easy. Back to normal.

I don't feel inclined to head back to doctors now. For a year they failed to diagnose what might be wrong with me and told me that what it felt like just doesn't happen. Now I have nothing to show them.

gingernut
10th Dec 2016, 21:01
The main thing is that you are feeling better, which is great. Nevertheless, you did mention a change in your pooing, if this persists, then I'd certainly urge you to speak to your doc. He'll know what questions to ask to rule out any nasties.

The "blockage" thing is a bit non descript. Interestingly certain foods will affect gastric stasis, the only thing I can use as an analogy, is the sink drainer when washing up. Ever noticed how cucumber, onions and tomatoes seem to get stuck there.....I reckon the same thing goes on in your tummy.

Certain other foods make the valve that stops food (and gastric acid) arriving in you throat-coffee, chocolate, booze and nicotine are common culprits.

air pig
11th Dec 2016, 19:15
You may have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. it can come on at any time of life. Have you been out of the UK and the local Montezuma's revenge, or are you stressed/anxious?

Go back to your GP and raise this with him. Keep a diet diary and a pooh chart for a couple of weeks. You may need further investigation such as blood tests, stool sampling and even a big black snake to have a look around but better to be safe rather than sorry.