PDA

View Full Version : 2017 HeliOps Calendar Giveaway - That Time Again.

KiwiNedNZ
6th Dec 2016, 04:29
Well the latest edition of the HeliOps calendar is now up for grabs :)

I have 100 to give away to forum members this year. How do you get your hands on one - read on :E

For this years thread would be great to hear WHY you decided to get involved in flying helicopters, working on helicopters, or being involved in helicopters, and please no one or two word answers please.

Once you have posted on this thread send me a PM with your postal address and will put one in the mail for you - should be there in time for Xmas.

Here is the cover of the 2017 edition.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh627/HeliOpsMag/Misc%20Images/Calendar_zpsr0dsuzyu.jpg[/URL]

whoknows idont
6th Dec 2016, 05:17
Hey Ned, how great that you are in a christmassy spirit again! :ok:
To answer your question: A long time ago, I had a moment where I realized that my previous career path was leading to a job that I would probably grow sick and tired of after ten years. So I sat down and had a good long think about what job I could possibly enjoy up until retirement. I dug up my childhood dream and suddenly it all became clear. Never looked back since. :)

Hughesy
6th Dec 2016, 06:35
When I was 17 in the late 90's my mates and I went for a hunting trip and we flew in with Helisika in Taupo, NZ.
We didn't shoot anything but the flight in and out was the MASSIVE highlight for me!!! A few days later I saw a agriculture helicopter (Marine Helicopters and the late GM) flying on the neighbours farm. I thought "that is what I want to do!! A trial flight later and I was hooked. Loved it then, and love it now. Best job ever.

why_not
6th Dec 2016, 07:12
Hi..
My wife gave me an intro flight.. and from then there was no way back..
Still remember my first solo in titusville as it was yesterday.. and still ger goosebumps when i think about it..

why_not
6th Dec 2016, 08:14
Hi...
My wife gave me an intro flight.. and from that moment i did not have any doubts.
Its the mother of all powertools and no other job comes close to the exitement.
I had the luck of delivering a new R44 from the factory to the Domical Republic.... that was the true feeling of freedom..
I still get goosebumb when i think of my first solo..

attitudepowertrim
6th Dec 2016, 08:44
Started my professional life as a navy officer in warships. Loved to see the choppers around doing different business at sea. I moved to the air wing as fast as I could, 27 years ago. Done everything everywhere flying navy and moved to commercial offshore flying. Still love to fly and enthusiatisc to control the machine as ever. People in the helicopters world are a little bit emotionally volatile, but as long as you remain flexible, you take the most of this incredible life. Safe flying to everyone and ... Merry Rotor Christmas

Thracian
6th Dec 2016, 09:03
For me becoming a PPL-H had mainly two causes:
One is in the last century when the famous TV series "Airwolf" and "A-Team" showed some impressive heli action to me as a kid.
The second reason was that I survived a serious heart surgery in 2007. When I recovered from that, finally I decided that there should be more in life than just work and home. So in the end, in 2009, I took the advantage of an one hour initial flight with an experienced FI. How I managed to convince my wife of spending the money, I still can't remember. Maybe that's why she now owns a PPL-A by herself ;-)

Thracian

Ed Winchester
6th Dec 2016, 09:22
I joined the Royal Air Force 26 years ago and got streamed Fast Jet. Got to the end of my Advanced Flying Training on the Hawk and got told that I would not be going to the next stage. The management very kindly gave me the offer of either helicopters or multi-engine.
I chose helicopters and the rest is history - so glad I made that choice. Still love flying now.

finalchecksplease
6th Dec 2016, 09:32
Wanted to fly helicopters for as long as I can remember, my parents cleverly used this ambition as the carrot to make me work hard at school.

Started flying gliders with the air cadets in my teens, which was great fun but I was missing that extra "dimension" you get when flying a helicopter.

After a stint in the military have been flying helicopters in civvy street for more than 20 years and consider myself lucky to have achieved my dream.

Can't imagine what it is like to have to "work" for a living :ok:

Hughes500
6th Dec 2016, 09:36
While climbing in Chamonix in the French Alps at 17 years of age friend took a massive leader fall just before dark. We spent the night at 13500 ft on a 6 inch ledge. Next day hauled him back down to glacier to be picked up by a lama.
36 years later still remember that first helicopter ride, as the pilot must have been power limited and at time I thought he was having fun as he threw it off the cliff edge almost vertical, I now know better !!!

rugmuncher
6th Dec 2016, 11:48
At the age of 5 i got my first toy helicopter:
https://ecs12.tokopedia.net/newimg/cache/300/product-1/2014/4/20/3766193/3766193_c8874574-c83e-11e3-965e-578a4908a8c2.jpg

A majorette die cast.

As others have mentioned, TV shows were an influence, Airwolf, Magnum etc,

My father was taking me to airshows and I was hooked. My career has taken me from a maintainer to flight testing. Now in an Engineering position seeing parts made from raw material to being installed on flying aircraft.

Many good times.

md 600 driver
6th Dec 2016, 12:14
While I was in the army we had to do some practise running jumps from a helicopter moving fast across the ground , I thought it maybe better to try flying it rather than leaping out
The story goes on from there

haihio
6th Dec 2016, 12:51
A few years ago I was working as a laborer in the Italian alps fixing chiains and metal steps for hiking trails (we call them via Ferrara in Italy), we were working at altitudes between 2500 and 3000 meters and then only way to get our heavy equipment up there was to sling it in by heli; needless to say the local company that operates As350 b3's did an awesome job for us. A few months after witnessing the awesomeness of that machine at work I decided to train as a pilot!

outofoffice
6th Dec 2016, 12:55
It is weird thing feeling like you are born with and urge to fly, but no natural ability to do so. My earliest memories are about wanting to fly, my one reoccurring childhood dream was about flying. During my previous career I suddenly came to the realization that I was indeed getting older, and decided it was now or never. Having scrounged up money for my training I started my helicopter career. It has been a rocky road so far, and I am pretty sure there are quite a few potholes and trees lying across the road ahead...

Tweedles
6th Dec 2016, 12:56
An aviation nut for as long as I can remember. Most of my childhood toys were airplanes or helicopters, but helicopters captured my attention more. I lived for Magnum PI and TC's Hughes 500 on TV! I got my first ride in the back of a Huey while in a college Army ROTC program. My eyes were absolute crap so military flying was never an option. I had a private airplane license, but still literally had fantastic dreams of hovering! I got a job as an engineer for a helicopter manufacturer to be as close as I could.

My wife to be said "Go for it!" when I commented on my dream. Marriage, kids, a few cross-country moves, and eight years later I achieved my dream and earned my private helicopter license in an R22--bucket list goal accomplished.

Fast-forward a couple years and a couple moves, and I found myself back with said helicopter manufacturer as a flight test engineer. I would go on to earn my commercial license and do some fantastic flying with them! Dream realized!

Robbo Jock
6th Dec 2016, 13:08
My dad was in the Army and, aged knee high to a grasshopper, I remember seeing Sioux flying in and out of fields on various camps. Wanted to fly them from then on. Finally, twenty-odd years later, managed to fulfill that dream, gaining a PLP(H). A few years after that got the CPL(H), but unfortunately never managed to persuade anybody to employ me.
Heyho there y'go, but still love flying them.

Kirt Hood
6th Dec 2016, 13:16
I started out flying planks and had to rent from schools,what a pain. Seen an article in Popular Mechanics about having your own helicopter in your garage. Never looked back.

twinstar_ca
6th Dec 2016, 13:34
I was one of the kids who watched whirlybirds every week and played bell 47 on the steps. Grew into a lifelong love and while I never flew for a living (became a paramedic instead), I freelanced writing and photography about helicopters to keep the fix satisfied. I'm a great passenger, by the way... :D

aa777888
6th Dec 2016, 14:25
I've had a lifelong interest in aviation and space.

- As a child I built models and flew model rockets. I wanted R/C stuff but it was too expensive for our family situation.

- When I graduated college one of the first things I did was make a parachute jump because it was easier and much less expensive than actually flying. Hooked instantly, and it had me around airplanes. Went so far as to become a static line jumpmaster (a now effectively obsolete rating).

- I had always wanted to fly helicopters, and, as everyone here knows, that's a tough row to hoe. But being around aircraft all day when skydiving, and making a decent living from my "real" job, thank goodness, getting a fixed wing private certificate was irresistible. So I made that happen.

- Then work and life interfered with aviation for a long time, some 13 years. When I decided it was time to get back into the sky, there was no way I was going to do it in anything but a helicopter! Like that first parachute jump, it only took that first intro flight to get me totally hooked.

- Now that I'm back in the aviation world, I love helicopters so much that I've not even bothered to do a refresher in a fixed wing.

- Next challenge: figuring out a way to buy one and not put myself in the poorhouse! Sadly, helicopter clubs or partnerships seem to be a rarity. Around here, privately owned helicopters are all single owner affairs. :ugh:

Nubian
6th Dec 2016, 17:24
Ned,

I got my first 500C police toy helicopter when I was 6 years old, which instantly became my favorite toy for years. Growing up outside of big cities, any helicopter coming by was the air ambulance, and I guess I have never missed any of them ;-)
When I got close to finish school, I understood that it was possible to become a helicopter pilot without being some sort of superhero, so I decided to give it a try. That is over 20 years ago, and never looked back since. 👍🏻

Rwy in Sight
6th Dec 2016, 18:30
Not involved in any capacity with aviation (not even as frequent flyer) two of the most memorable flights (and arguably the most aviation centered) are on helicopters. The first one was back in 1987 between the airports of Newark and JFK on the Pan Am. Up until now I did not realize the significance of the flight and I am a bit disappointment I don't know where the pictures are from this most special flight.

The second most memorable flight that created a strong interest in helicopters was a short about two minute flights on a helicopter positioning for the night literally I was along for the ride. I missed a car ride home and I had to take the train but it was definitely worth it.

Unfortunately, I am in a very very low paid job to earn and hold a PPL but I would want to try a trial flight in a helicopter. Three mobile back I used to have the Valkyries as a ring tone for my friends connected to the aviation (inspired from the scene where the Hueys land to pick the troop on the Apocalypse Now.

Floppy Link
6th Dec 2016, 18:41
I didn't have much choice. Growing up during the troubles in Northern Ireland there were always helicopters flying around. My earliest christmas memory was dropping a battery powered train and breaking the front coupling…I had been flying it around the room pretending it was a helicopter… eventually joined the RAF, ended up on helicopters - and got posted home to Northern Ireland!

Lude-og
6th Dec 2016, 20:26
At it again Ned, fair play to you!

For me it started many moons ago in Donegal...watching the Irish Air Corps Dauphin and countless other aircraft flying round my house, from there the seed was sown!

Years later the IAC wouldn't have me so after jumping through a few hoops I ended up flying in Hawaii instead, not so bad I suppose!

TimdeBoer
6th Dec 2016, 20:38
Not sure if I qualify, but just let me tell you my story.

I grew up in a little village close to EHKD, Naval Airbase De Kooy, in Den Helder, The Netherlands.

I must have been around six years old when I became fascinated by the many Westland Lynx helicopter our Navy had back then, that flew past.
Also civil operated machines were there, S76 and occasionally a S61N.

As my passion developed I started to read about helicopters, a lot! ;)

Eventually this lead to flying gliders when I was 14 years old and later on radio controlled helicopters.

The latter made a big chance and after finishing a Bachelor degree in Aviation Engineering, I now find joy in commercial flying Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS officially, or just drones ;) ) and I have even qualified as an Instructor recently.

Although most of the drones nowadays are Multirotor aircraft instead of Single Main Rotor, they are still categorized as Rotorcraft, as they are, and I teach about Translational Lift and Vortex Ring State in Aircraft Performance, while using some examples related to full scale Single Main Rotor machines.

Once or twice a year, I treat myself with a ride in a full scale machine as a good friend of mine is an Instructor for Robbies and Cabri G2.

So that's my story, let me know if this is good enough for you.

Regards from the Netherlands,

Tim

Otterotor
6th Dec 2016, 20:48
Worked at a small airport in rural New Mexico for spending money during high school. National Guard landed an AH-1S cobra on H.S. football field for career day. I was impressed, wrote to Bell Helicopter to find out what their requirements were for helicopter design engineer. Attended NMSU with BHT as target employer. Received job offer after graduation with BSME. Worked 31 years with Bell in Rotor Stress (structural analysis) and Flight Test Engineer. Great job, lots of interesting experiences! Lead rotors structural engineer for the LHX effort (which Bell lost to Boeing / Sikorsky team) and lead rotors structural engineer for composite bearingless rotors on H-1 Upgrades Yankee / Zulu aircraft.

Anchornut
6th Dec 2016, 20:52
I've always had an interest in rotor craft and thought about joining the RAF at one point, I remember watching Prestwick SAR machine doing demos with lifeboat at the local annual gala days and the SAR machine landed at our school and we all had a look around, as a school boy it was a turning point!! I was fortunate enough to get a Bristow Helicopters engineering apprenticeship and have enjoyed working in line and base maintenance environments throughout the uk..Love the test flying I do now!

Lonewolf_50
6th Dec 2016, 21:17
When I was in Navy flight school, with visions of flying the A-6, my flying grades indicated that I'd fly something other than a jet off of an aircraft carrier. The Navy sent me to Milton, FL, to become a rotary wing aviator. After my second flight in a TH-57 (Jet Ranger) I was hooked. Flying helicopters is both fun and challenging. I then flew the Huey (TH-1L and UH-1E) on the way to earning my wings.
I got to fly SH-2F's and SH-60B's from frigates, destroyers, and cruisers, as well as a little carrier time with helicopters. I also got to fly a few times in a CH-53E with a Marine major who worked for me. What an amazing machine!
Verdict? I am one lucky guy. Would love to have a calendar.

John Eacott
7th Dec 2016, 09:39
OK Ned, my turn ;)

Six years old I wanted to be a pilot. 11-12 years later at the RAF Selection Board, Biggin Hill, I was asked if I made aircrew what I would like to fly. The answer came naturally, helicopters.

When they picked themselves up off the floor (no-one had ever given that answer!) I explained that fighters had 30 minutes of being driven around the sky by radar and a couple of minutes of fun, transport command would be no better than airlines, and bomber command almost as bad. Helicopter pilots were given a task, given a helicopter and left to themselves, all of which proved to be pretty much the way that it worked for the next 50 years :D

FLY 7
7th Dec 2016, 10:30
The arrival of the HeliOps Calendar is one of the highlights of the Season - and gets seen and admired by lots of people through the following year.
Like most, I was mesmerised by the sheer versatility of helicopters from an early age.
Fast jets, heavies, vintage.... all fantastic, but nothing quite so clever as a helicopter in its element.

jimf671
7th Dec 2016, 11:15
Ah! KiwiNedNZ! I was thinking about this just the other day as I changed my calendar to the last page.

Here goes.

Daft on aviation since an early age but in my teens it became clear my eyes weren't good enough. Walked away.

Some years later I joined a mountain rescue team. That involved flying in Westland Sea King, Westland Wessex and Sikorsky S-61N. Usually, this occurred when it was dark or snowing or both.

In 2009, the bid process for the later-withdrawn 25 year contract for UK SAR Helicopters was in progress. Nearly everyone who talked or wrote about it was clearly talking fanciful rubbish. I wanted the facts and I wanted all of our guys in the team to have the facts.

Through the collapse of that bid process, and then through the bid and implementations for the GAP and MAIN UK SAR Helicopter Service contracts, I have kept digging for the facts and trying to pass those on to SAR volunteers, police, and the wider public. Along the way I have been sought out by national bodies, police, journalists and others to help them understand the changes. I had the chance to travel across the world and share free lunches, a lot of coffee and a lot of Powerpoint with some of the world's greatest SAR airmen. (Not forgetting the opportunity to be a complete pain in the 4r5e on pprune. Thanks guys for putting up with me.)

Still at it. Ran a MR helicopter training exercise on Saturday and talked helo stuff with police on Sunday and again yesterday.

If all else fails, read the instructions.

misterbonkers
7th Dec 2016, 14:02
I was aged 13 at school and planning the work experience. The school basically said find your own work experience or choose one of these crappy jobs off our list. So, after much ringing around I got 2 weeks at a helicopter school and never looked back! They asked me to continue to help out at weekends and it went from there.

Fwh
7th Dec 2016, 14:45
Ive always wanted to fly since I was a kid it had been a dream. I remember watching helicopters fly by and thinking how cool they are and that i would be a pilot flying them some day. That dream went away as i got older but it come back to me when some work mates told me to take a tif flight and very since ive been working towards getting my licence. Im 21 now, and still working towards licence. It is hard, but i know i can get there.

Flyting
7th Dec 2016, 15:31
Like many before, I wanted to fly from a young age. Wanted to join the airforce and fly jets initially but was not able to... 10 years later, after a friend had followed her dream to fly helicopters, my car drove me to the airport where I signed up straight away for a ppl, and never looked back. It's been a great time since then, seeing the world and helping those in need.

stilllearning
7th Dec 2016, 16:57
Although i never thought about being a pilot since that was completely out of my expectations, once I joined the army I saw I might heve a chance.
Still at military school they came recruiting volunteers to become either air traffic controllers or helicopters pilot. I took tests to both and finally they told me: If you stay for controller you have already a seat for the course, but if you decide to on for pilot you will loose that chance and might not make it for pilot. Well, I didn't give it much of a thought... I decided to go for heli pilot and here I am 40 years after that and loving it !!!
Be waiting for my calendar :)

gator2
7th Dec 2016, 18:43
Always loved helicopters. All that potential violence harnessed and sitting motionless in space as herculean forces are perfectly balanced.

In 1995 I got a new boss, and along with him we also got a new Chairman of the Board, as a turn-around artist was brought in to save our company . My new boss was a rich guy who had retired, then got bored and came back to work. Our new chairman was a guy who had made a bundle in the helicopter business and then transformed himself into a turnaround guy, with our company being his 29th "save".

The new chairman was Stan Hiller. Yep, that Stan Hiller.

The new boss, a retired self-made rich guy who got bored and re-entered the workforce, had a 206, a Schwietzer (which he pulled around on a homemade trailer behind his motorhome as he was getting bored) a Beaver, and a Fairchild Merlin (short Metro).

New boss gave me some illegal (I didn't know at the time) and unlogged hours in the helis and the planks. Planks were ok, but basically hrs of boredom, then some fun as you land. Helis were a blast.

Boss only lasted a year, when you are a rich guy you don't take crap from the Board of Directors. He quit, and took his toys with him.

Inspired by Stan's flying platform, in 1996 I started work on a quadcopter. 4 chainsaw motors, 3 axis gyros, gps and thrust vectoring and killing vanes for control. By '99 I had it flying well, and intended to scale it up with VW bug motors and use it as a transport/drone for "heli" skiing. It would carry me to the top, then follow me down as I skied through the untracked powder to carry me back up.

Wife threatened divorce and meant it, so abandoned project. Ex-boss said "If you make that out of electric motors that would be a really cool toy" I said, naw, nobody would buy that. That's why he was a rich guy, and I am not.

The chainsaw quad copter still hangs in my garage as testimony to my stupidity.

2009, next boss dies of ALS. I get battlefield promo to CEO. Kids are grown, debts paid off, got some money to fly. Wife not with program....every movie she has seen helis catch fire and crash.

2014, rupture Achilles, takes two surgeries to fix it. Driving to Boise with wife, foot in cast propped on dash of the suburban, flatbed passes us with an AStar on back, followed by a fuel truck. Truck says "Wasatch Powder Cowboys" on the door. I mutter "GD it, those guys are gonna have more fun in the next day then I'm gonna have in the next year"

Wife says "I'm sick of you whining and moping around the house. Go take helicopter lessons, I don't care if you get killed."

Cast comes off, HELI LESSONS!!!!! Instructor never noticed for the first 5 months I was pushing the left pedal with my heel.

So now, I'm 250 hrs on the R44. Great business tool, also use it for bird hunting and yes, some skiing.

Contrary to VF and the rest of the PPRUNE world predictions, no close calls yet in the Robbie. But the wife has never heard of PPRUNE, nor will she. And I get the Robbie bashing. Just don't have a viable alternative in anywhere close price range. So I don't fly turbulence.

KiwiNedNZ
7th Dec 2016, 21:14
Some great posts. If you want calendar delivered before Xmas then make your post asap and PM me as last post before Xmas of calendars is the middle of next week. Cheers.

vaqueroaero
7th Dec 2016, 23:25
Apparently I have always wanted to fly....when I was a very young boy I used to sit on the corner of the washing machine and pretend that I was flying. I originally started out not involved in aviation, but after a few years of work I was ready for a career change, had the time and money to do it....so jumped in. I haven't looked back.
I was given a Corgi 500 police helicopter for a birthday at a very young age, I also had a Britain's Toy Farms ICI 300C spray helicopter which both were played with tirelessly. The great thing is that I still have the Corgi police 500 which proudly sits on a shelf in my office.

Decredenza
8th Dec 2016, 02:32
I was digging ditches in the Canadian Rockies loving life in the mountains but thinking there must be a better way to make a living AND have fun in the hills.

And then over my head flew Jim Davies, the local 206 pilot with Okanagan Helicopters working for the Parks Service. A stand up guy with immense flying skills, well thought of by all in the community. Now that's something I would like to do, I decided.

A bit of schooling on a Bell 47T for four months and a whole lot of schooling over 7 years to tune up my attitude and people skills and a dive into AME school for 12 months and there I was - working as a commercial pilot on 206's and then 350's and 355's.

I am still trying to live up to the class and skill of Jim and his confederates who introduced me to the industry 28 years ago (not only do helicopters but time flies as well).

Still loving taking the easy way to the top of the mountains.

R22 HEAVY
8th Dec 2016, 11:14
Ever since watching whirly birds as a child on a Saturday morning I have been obsessed by helicopters (I'm still taking the medication, but the wife says it's not working). Went onto building balsa models of them, then airfix, followed by trying to build a working model with electric motors. Nearly taking my head and fingers off I opted for the radio controlled version when paper round money allowed, and I'm still flying them to date.

First flight in one was over Lions peak just north of Vancouver, while on holiday, got the front seat in a 206. WOW! I was hooked. I've got to do this for a living/paid hobby.

Years of studying and being skint to now being in a flying position I love, wouldn't change any of it.

Some one once told me 'you'll never earn or make a fortune flying helicopters, but you'll have a ball', and he was right.

Stay safe out there.

Merry Christmas

CYKFRotor
8th Dec 2016, 12:50
I've been around aviation most of my life thanks to my brother who is plank wing flyer. So I've been lucky to have been exposed to it a lot.

He got his licenses at a local school in an integrated college program and during this time he held multiple jobs at the airport hauling bags and working as a fueler.

Once he got his CFI ticket I was fresh out of high school and taking a year off before I had planned to go to college for business. At the time I was working a part time job at a gas station and since he was a full time CFI now he offered to put in a good word for me at his ground ops and fueler jobs. I got offered both jobs and the more I worked around the industry and especially the local heli school I decided to go for an intro flight one day and ever since then I've been hooked!

Since then I've become a manager at the FBO and love every minute of it. So far I've gotten half way through my Canadian CPL but sadly this past May ran out of money so I'm back to full time work to save up the rest of the cash I need to finish, hopefully a year and a half until I can start again!

Fly safe out there everyone!

Merry Christmas

Glevum
8th Dec 2016, 20:32
My father first took me to the Farnborough Airshow in 1974.

I decided there and then that I wanted to work on aircraft. I am still working with helicopters now.

I have had a very varied and interesting career and have enjoyed myself.

piperpa46
8th Dec 2016, 23:18
I am not a pilot however I have wanted to work with helicopters since I was 10 years old after seeing the workshop and helicopters at Helicopter Wing Karup. I later became an AME but unfortunately hasn't been able to do much work on helicopters aside from the odd Fennec and Bell 222 so far.
At the moment I am working in the oil and gas industry and I do get the odd trip offshore once in a while. I've loved every trip in helicopters so far, and I'll continue to do so.

Merry christmas

nyker
9th Dec 2016, 02:04
I've been following pprune for years, some very interesting threads, I've recently started working as a helicopter pilot in NY. loving every minute. keep up the good work.

Flying Bull
9th Dec 2016, 13:32
First contact with the dream of flying was a puppetgame on TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeWQOfV4OKc
Later I saw a Bell 47 doing spraywork over wineyards - so when I was drafted by the military and they asked, if I would like to stay longer, I made a tick in the box for helicopter-pilot.
Actually I wanted to fly SeaKings but due to beeing awarded the Louis Newmark Trophy my way went Lynx.
After quitting the forces I looked, where else I would have the chance of flying helicopters again and ended up flying police helicopters :-)

Motorola
10th Dec 2016, 08:35
Spent too much homework time dreaming I was flying a helicopter.

Grew up watching TV shows like Chopper Squad and Skippy (Ranger Hammond had a Bell 47 to use). Got a ride in an Iroquois at Army cadet camp.

The Bank of New South Wales (now Westpac) sponsored a Surf Lifesaving Bell 47 on the beaches of Sydney.

After more than 15,000 hours of airline flying, am now finally ready to fly helicopters. Considering learning in north America, NZ or SA.

Hopefully a lot less IFR, and back of the clock, and a lot more fun.

Can't wait to go solo again.

Motorola
10th Dec 2016, 08:38
BTW, is the long black antenna along the tail boom and up the fin on P2-PHA a HF antenna or something else?

KiwiNedNZ
10th Dec 2016, 16:55
Anyone else before next batch is airmailed off on Monday :)

Gustosomerset
11th Dec 2016, 20:54
Started learning to fly fixed wing many years ago and got as far as first solo...but then ran out of money, spending it on setting up a business instead. Last year sold that business and resolved to start again - only a PPL(H) this time - what I'd always really wanted to do. Loved every minute of learning, despite the difficulty- and am now addicted.

r88
11th Dec 2016, 21:04
Not so much of a choise as dictatured by nature. Loving every minute of it, despite the business has it's flaws.
My first encounter with a helicopter was a sightseeing flight as 12, still remember it throughout, can't remember none of the three I did last week though, funny how it goes.

tigerfish
11th Dec 2016, 23:37
Ned, long since retired since I did that article on UK Police Aviation for you in 2004. Still dedicated to UK Police Aviation, but devastated today by the way its gone since the creation of NPAS.
However, my son who started flying as aircrew in 1998, but not in the Police, has picked up the torch, and is now very much involved in rotary wing flight safety issues.

At 72, This old warhorse can't let go of rotary wing matters, and wants to keep his knowledge and interest up to date. So how do I get hold of one of your calendars which would grace my Den/Office!

TF

Matvey
12th Dec 2016, 04:06
Because flying is magic, let alone a magic flying machine that seemingly requires 3 hands to stay in the air.

Nowadays, it's the unique capabilities of helicopters (and hopefully other VTOL craft soon) that present their own challenges and help to keep my job interesting.

Scattercat
12th Dec 2016, 06:27
At 17 years of age, I was involved in a motorcycle accident that necessitated a ride to hospital in a helicopter. The seed was planted then and I've been flying since the mid 80's. I've been fortunate enough to have been flying SAR / EMS for the past 20 years of my career & as with most here, I've been privileged to have seen nature from a unique vantage point. No regrets :ok:

berwynnz
12th Dec 2016, 15:08
When I was a kid growing up in rural in NZ we used to get ag helicopters turning up on the farm a few times a year...I would always bug the pilot for a ride, and they always let me come along for a couple of spray runs.

My passion for helicopters grew from there, and I am still loving the industry now!

KiwiNedNZ
12th Dec 2016, 15:47
Just a heads up for everyone, nearly run out of calendars so closing this off on Friday. If you have made a post and haven't sent me a PM with your postal address then please do so asap. Cheers and enjoy the calendars.

Jettiejock
12th Dec 2016, 17:42
I had been flying planks for 10 years and had a group share in a Piper Cherokee. One of the co-owners had just got his PPL(H) and offered to take me for a flight in an R22. I had never been interested in helicopters and thought I would hate it. We flew the London heli-lanes and he let me take control - and I was hooked. From there came a PPL, mostly from training in Florida, followed by a share in an R44 and a CPL and Instructor rating.

315B
12th Dec 2016, 18:11
Always attended airshows and the obsession grew. Avoided it as a career but as a hobby it has been indispensable. Met many people that have thought me more than just flying, business & life lessons learned along the way. Cannot see myself without being involved in helicopters. I hope the future hold many nice medium twin hours.!

How Nice
12th Dec 2016, 20:44
Hi Ned
Merry Christmas to all.
My involvement in helicopters goes back 30+ years. As a wee one I was fascinated with taking things apart and rebuilding them. From this I went to doing "work experience" at Manchester airport (FFV AERO...?!) in the early 90's, this cemented my fascination with aircraft.
Long story short I'm now still loving my job and working on S92 as a licensed engineer for last several years.

nocarsgo
13th Dec 2016, 18:13
In a world, where I was still figuring out what career path to take, I was going to community college for a general studies degree with hopes to have figured it all out and transfer to the local university and get a bachelor's degree. Then one dark, sunless night, I had a dream that I was in a helicopter cockpit flying over a cityscape. Upon awakening I couldn't stop thinking how great it was. Started thinking back to how when I was a kid I thought it would be so cool to be a fighter pilot or go to space. Thought "well to fly helicopters you probably have to join the military," did a search, found out there are vocational schools! "OK but there are probably only like two in the country," did a search, "wow they're all over and a couple are even close by." I did an intro flight and have been hooked on helicopters since that first pickup into a hover.

Self loading bear
13th Dec 2016, 19:22
When I was 5 or 6. We had the Dutch airforce Alouettes coming over our Backyardigans daily. They changed to Bolkovs ?105? And I still looked up every time. Then they closed down the Airforce base Deelen (Arnhem). And I still kept on looking up to the occasional glider plane. As we were close to one of the few hills higher than 100m there was apperently an updraft?

I grew up and could not choose between aeronautics and shipbuilding.
I became bachelor in Shipbuilding and was in lodging directly in line with one of Schiphol runeways during the five years of my 4 years study. That probably was because I still looked up at every plane taking off. It was in my last Year of study that the ElAl Freighter crashed into Amsterdam. Freightning.
Fokker went Belly up and I was glad that I did not had chosen aeronautics.
I worked 10 years in shipbuilding before most of the shipbuilding in Netherlands went Belly up as well.
I was kicked out a yard and went into Offshore works.
The helicopters were back in my life!
Although I only hop on as a Self Loading Bear, I picked up my old interest in helicopters and aviation.
Since the last Sumburg accident I found the Rotorheads forum.

I keep improving my English, my slang and a sense of Anglo humour as well.

Cheers SLB

KiwiNedNZ
14th Dec 2016, 20:09
One more day left before this offer closes - then thats it til next year :)

jimf671
14th Dec 2016, 23:51
Hurrah! I received my Heliops 2017 calendar today.

Not only that but it has a S-92-SAR on the January page and just a few hours previously I got an email from a S-92 SAR crewman about more training. How appropriate!

And a AW189 on the march page. Bingo! End of March sees the end of service for GAP-SAR South (CHC AW139) at Lee-on-Solent and a Bristow AW189 taking over.

So some very meaningful stuff in this year's issue for me. Thank you so much.

Gray 14
15th Dec 2016, 01:43
I wanted to fly since I was a kid. My Father was posted in Ft. Benning in the mid 60's. The Vietnam war was on so plenty of helicopter activity there. After high school, joined the Army and applied for flight school Dream came true...rated in 1970 and last flight 2010.

muermel
15th Dec 2016, 06:29
Hi Ned

I ORDERED and paid for 3 calendars and haven't received them so far. Did also sent you a PM here. Could you check if I will still get them?

Cheers

soloviev
15th Dec 2016, 06:50
Hi Ned.
What to say, remember Magnum P.I.? Amazing, cannot forget that chopper flying into such scenic scenarios. At the end H369 was my first chopper, than was the H369FF, I've been on maintenance for both of them.
By the way, congratulations for your publication and Happy Christmas.

KiwiNedNZ
15th Dec 2016, 07:40
MUERMEL - All ordered calendars were airmailed out on the 10th of Dec as asked and answered previously. If you are in Europe can take up to ten days for them to get there.

FLY 7
15th Dec 2016, 08:05
Mine arrived yesterday. Thanks

Merry Christmas :ok:

muermel
15th Dec 2016, 11:53
@Ned
Thanks for the answer.

Cheers

stiarno
15th Dec 2016, 12:09
An industrial estate very near to us had a helipad and I used to watch all sorts of helicopters flying in and out, mainly smaller machines, squirrels, jetrangers, gazelles,109s etc, it was a thrill every time I heard one start up and always watched to see which it was, so this was the catalyst for starting in helicopters. I still get a thrill being around helicopters so it was obviously the right thing to do, even if it hasn't been that good for my wallet!

KiwiNedNZ
15th Dec 2016, 16:48
ATTN: Everyone who won themselves a HeliOps calendar. Our less than competent printer included a bunch of seconds (ones used to setup the binding process) which had months missing etc, in with the normal calendars so any of you who received one of the seconds please drop me a PM and will send you a replacement. Sorry for the inconvenience, was only a small number but unfortunately had no idea where they ended up.
Ned

md 600 driver
15th Dec 2016, 17:47
Many thanks Ned for my calendar have a merry Christmas and a happy new year
Regards Steve

Whirlygig
16th Dec 2016, 18:24
During the Manchester Commonwealth Games in 2002, I was offered the chance to sit in the back of Sterling's Bolkow while the pilot Simon C practised the Ladies' Cycle course. I was accompanied by the lovely JJ who was at great pains to explain that the vibration was nothing to worry about. Not worried in the slightest, was my reply!

When we landed, no-one could have wiped the silly grin off my face. I proclaimed that I just had to do it. Within the year I got my PPL! And went on from there with so much support from many people here ... both online and in the flesh so to speak!

Special thanks to Alan, Roy, Dick, David B, Peter, JJ, Gerry, Tim, Helen, Zoran, and Paul!

Cheers

Whirls

Whirlygig
16th Dec 2016, 20:53
Edited to correct the year!

John Eacott
16th Dec 2016, 23:45
Thanks Ned: Merry Christmas!

aa777888
17th Dec 2016, 02:32
My calendar has arrived already! :) Thanks, Ned!

KiwiNedNZ
19th Dec 2016, 04:16
Is everyone checking their calendars, just want to make sure you didn't get some of the test run rejects that inadvertantly got mixed up with the normal ones. When you get your calendars in the mail please check them and make sure April, May and June are all there in sequence,. Thanks. Ned

Floppy Link
19th Dec 2016, 14:34
Thanks Ned! Arrived safely, and perfect too - not a reject one.
Regards
Russell

finalchecksplease
20th Dec 2016, 06:55
Hi Ned,

Calendar arrived yesterday, months in correct order & stunning photos :ok:

Many thanks & happy holidays,

Finalchecksplease

Robbo Jock
20th Dec 2016, 12:01
Thanks Ned, great calendar! :-)

Lonewolf_50
20th Dec 2016, 12:03
It's not every day that an envelope arrives "par avion' international air mail.
My wife asked me "where's this from?" and when I looked at the shape I told her:
Kiwiland. Eyebrow raised.
So I opened it and presented to her this beautiful calendar and began leaving through the pictures of these marvelous machines .. she rolled her eyes.

Decision time: does it go in my office or my man cave? Office won.

Thank You, KiwiNedNZ, and Merry Christmas. :D:ok:

whoknows idont
20th Dec 2016, 17:43
Hi Ned,
My calendar arrived today. It is an absolute hit again!
I just hope that I will be able to punch the hole perfectly centered again.
I think I will just leave the 2016 edition up and go through it once again. The 2017 version will go on the other end of my desk. :ok:

Thanks a lot for such a generous give-away. Merry Christmas and a happy new year! :)

ShyTorque
20th Dec 2016, 20:04
Ned, received mine also. Many thanks, A very generous gesture, especially for folks you have never met!

gator2
20th Dec 2016, 20:41
Got mine yesterday. Same deal as Lonewolf: Don't see "par avion" often. In fact never before. Thanks Ned!

KiwiNedNZ
21st Dec 2016, 00:16
ShyTorque - Yes I may not have met many of the people we send the calendars to but we have a common bond - a passion for this industry. The role of people here is to fly, fix, operate, or fly in them. Mine is to help showcase what makes this industry so special.

Over the past year the industry and many of the members here have had some ups and downs - hopefully having some cool pictures hanging on the wall reminds them that even though the industry/they are going through some down times its still an amazing industry and one they should feel proud to be a part of - I know I am.

Kia Kaha from Aotearoa and have a great Xmas everyone. :ok:

vaqueroaero
21st Dec 2016, 02:43
Mine arrived today, a huge thanks from here.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas from Texas!

jimf671
21st Dec 2016, 03:46
... Don't see "par avion" often. ...

Next year mate we need to get that sticker changed from 'par avion' to just 'plank'.

Jettiejock
21st Dec 2016, 16:54
Mine arrived today. Many thanks! Going up on the wall in my office.

Lude-og
21st Dec 2016, 17:59
Got my calender delivered to the house in Ireland today Ned, go raibh míle maith agat!

Nollaig shona daoibh go léir!

patatas
22nd Dec 2016, 14:12
About 10 years ago I was living in Australia on a working holiday visa and I saw helicopters taking off from Port Douglas on a daily basis. I was a very old passion and that got me right into my heart. I was in a profession that was ok but now completely satisfied.
Decided to move over to Spain, did my course and started working in the fire fighting industry.
I am so glad for the decision. Love helicopters!!
I feel very happy now working with helis...

helideck
22nd Dec 2016, 15:07
Hello Ned! I have always had an interest in helicopters from a very young age. My first exposure was sitting in a Bristow S-76 at the age of 9. I have been working in the industry now for 6 years and wouldnt change a thing!

Thracian
23rd Dec 2016, 06:00
Yesterday my calendar arrived here in Spain.

Great pictures and all in the right order.

Thanks again Ned for this beautiful office decoration

Thracian

Nubian
23rd Dec 2016, 19:12
Got mine today. All months in sequence.

Excellent pictures, as always.:ok:

Happy Holidays!

TripleC
26th Dec 2016, 15:04
My father was in the RAF Marine Branch so was heavily involved in SAR helicopters. I originally wanted to be an engineer but Biggin Hill said Nah go to Cranwell as they say the rest is history.

November Mike
27th Dec 2016, 11:01
Send Ned, send!!! Stuck on duty with HEMS flights in the middle or no where!

KiwiNedNZ
27th Dec 2016, 16:28
November Mike - If you sent me a PM with postal address then they have all been sent.

helo pilot
28th Dec 2016, 10:20
Ned,

It looks like the count is still under 100. Anyway, I hope I'm not too late! So then, here's why I decided to fly helicopters...

Around 2006-2007 I was a new Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force and was in a "casual" assignment waiting for my pilot training class. The B-1 bomber pilots at my base told me how cut-throat the fighter pilot track was and urged me to consider something else. After some research, I learned the Air Force flew helicopters for search and rescue. This convinced me to see what flying a helicopter was all about. I paid for an hour with an instructor and got to try my hand at hovering an R22, then flew up and down the coast near Santa Ana, California. The rest is history...

Alex

Glevum
28th Dec 2016, 14:11
Ned,

The calendar arrived and all the pages are fine.

Thanks.

Best Wishes for 2017.

How Nice
28th Dec 2016, 17:27
Thank you Ned.
Calendar arrived today and all dates are spot on.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Hughesy
1st Jan 2017, 14:53
Got it!
Thanks Ned!

rugmuncher
3rd Jan 2017, 11:07
Back at work today, Got it!

Thanks & Happy New Year Ned.

Otterotor
3rd Jan 2017, 15:30
Ned,

Received mine over the holiday. All months present and in order. Thank you very much for the fine calendar Ned! Hope you had a great Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year! :ok: Otterotor.

KiwiNedNZ
5th Jan 2017, 01:53
Just checking one last time with everyone that they got a good version of the calendar and not a reject one before I send out the last few remaining ones. Want to make sure anyone with a reject one gets a replacement before I send out last ones. Cheers and hope each month puts a smile on your face.

twinstar_ca
5th Jan 2017, 15:21
mine arrived here in Canada yesterday, Ned, with all the right months and stuff in order... same as everyone has said, thanks again for your generosity!!! it's a great looking calendar... :)

Beamish Boy
5th Jan 2017, 15:57
Whirlygig is unable to reply (PPRuNe phone app not working) so has asked me to say thank you and it's all present and correct. Happy New Year. Beamish Boy.

stilllearning
6th Jan 2017, 19:58
I got mine today. Great looking calendar everything as it should. Thanks a lot Ned. I really appretiate it.
Happy New Year