PDA

View Full Version : Joining BALPA

crablab
5th Dec 2016, 12:30
I'm thinking of joining BALPA as and when I start my ATPL course(s).

As I'm going down the modular route, does anyone know at which point you qualify as a trainee in BALPA's eyes?

I currently hold a PPL, waiting on IR(R) paperwork and finishing night rating. ATPL books are ordered...

Alex Whittingham
5th Dec 2016, 13:18
A good question! I don't think there is any more clarification than what it says in the rules:
6.4 Trainee Associates. A trainee pilot/flight engineer shall be eligible as a trainee associate at the absolute discretion of the NEC.
and
8.5 Trainee associate and honorary associate members shall not be required to pay any subscription.
The online membership application form asks you to say where you are training.
BALPA are very keen for pilots in training to join up, they have always inferred that anyone at least doing their ATPL theory would qualify. Suggest you fill in the form and see what happens, I would imagine they will be pleased to have you.

average-punter
5th Dec 2016, 13:40
Agree with Alex, I joined when I started the ATPLs. I too imagine they'll be more than happy to have you.

crablab
5th Dec 2016, 13:50
I suppose ATPL theories being the 'threshold' makes sense as it's the point at which you start the transition from private to commercial on the modular route, and all the integrated courses start with ATPL learning.

Thanks average and Alex - I'll get my membership in...

Reason I'm joining is one of my instructors went through training, did his TR with Eastern and the week before he was due to start on the line, he did something funny to his back getting out of the sim. Didn't fly for 3 years and lost his Class 1. Luckily he had BALPA training insurance and received a substantial payout - enough to fund his 3 years off + medical costs. And of course the legal assistance if you should ever be in an unfortunate situation...

average-punter
5th Dec 2016, 22:39
Precisely the reason why (IMHO) it's essential to have some sort of cover, be it or be it not with BALPA.

Don't forget that once employed you can claim the tax back from your subscription :ok: