PDA

View Full Version : Xmas laser lights

dkatwa
3rd Dec 2016, 14:57
Hi. Seen laser spot lights advertised on t.v. These shine multiple spots on a house, hedge, trees etc
My question is, will the spots that miss the solid objects, go on to cause a problem for aviation, especially at night.

http://www.jmldirect.com/at-home/garden-accessories/star-shower-outdoor-indoor-laser-projected-light-system-5m-cable/?
gclid=CjwKEAiA94nCBRDxismumrL83icSJAAeeETQjY3MF7oBaeXWn2zcfP 3ZxGNBchsGHAP6I6lX6LwTqRoCM5Xw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#horizontalTab1

destinationsky
21st Dec 2016, 08:23
Highly unlikely to have any issues. Looks as though the laser is only concentrated at close distances so a very low risk to aviation. Always best to make sure that this type of thing terminates onto a solid object.
I spend my working life approving things like this for a large airport and I wouldn't be concerned....

Tech Guy
21st Dec 2016, 11:42
These use diffraction lenses to break up the original beam into 100s of smaller ones. Each secondary beam will only have a small fraction of the power of the original beam. In the entertainment industry, these are considered "eye safe" and allowed for crowd scanning and illumination as their NOHD (Nominal Ocular hazard Distance) is far below that determined to cause any kind of health risk.