PDA

View Full Version : Airline Future Pilot Programmes

SpeedBirdseven47
1st Dec 2016, 14:10
Hello,

I have recently been invited to a CTC Whitetails assessment day and my application for the RAF is also looking hopeful. I was wondering whether people on here would recommend going down either of the two routes I've already mentioned. Or would you suggest it would be better waiting for an Airline to announce their 2017 future flyers programme.

Any advice or suggestions would come in useful.

stupotk
5th Dec 2016, 13:41
If you are willing to go down the RAF route and believe you would enjoy the lifestyle then I would definitely go for it - it's a great way to become a pilot.

If you are still interested in becoming an Airline Pilot, the multiple routes available all have their pro's and con's and it all depends on your individual circumstances.

Atrain
12th Dec 2016, 02:04
Hey there,

I am also looking to take the program with CTC, and I'm still trying to weigh out the pro's and con's on making such a financial commitment.

I am from canada as well, and training at a top tier school that includes a 2 year aviation diploma, will set you back $85-$90k CAN. The program also has a pathways program for turbo prop regional carriers. They don't guarantee work though, and have as many as 4 students per class get hired through the pathways program.

Compare that with CTC, which will set you back about $160k CAN. But they will put you in the right seat of a jet turbine airliner right off the bat, and potentially put you in the left seat a lot sooner.

The idea of living and working in Europe, making a higher wage, and basically a guaranteed job out of the gate makes it seem like going with CTC would be a better investment.

I am also dual citizen, which definitely helps.

To sum up your question though, if you are planning on being a pilot for the next 30 years or so. Why rush into anything right off the bat.

If you want and think you have a chance with one of the cadet programs then I would wait until they offer up another partnership/cadet program.

If you can get a gig with the RAF I would take it. Debt is a horrible thing, avoid it for as long as you can. Plus you'll be doing some pretty cool missions, and having some great stories to share with you grandkids down the road.