PDA

View Full Version : Chartwork notation

walter kennedy
1st Dec 2016, 06:18
Hi,
Goimg back a bit, would anyone like to explain what goes in the boxes in this type of symbol?
In particular, is the lowest box the intended altitude for the leg?

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/grauniad/navsymbol.jpg

Wensleydale
1st Dec 2016, 06:30
Shoot me down in flames as its a long time since I did this at Finningley....but I seem to remember minimum fuel required to complete the route? (or was that in another box).

FixClrEnt
1st Dec 2016, 10:00
I thought that, from the top, it was:

Trk
Dist
Time
Safety Alt

Doesn't the fuel required and min fuel go in the top/bottom of a split circle.

Above The Clouds
1st Dec 2016, 10:14
TRK
DIST
TIME
FUEL

walter kennedy
1st Dec 2016, 10:27
Thank you all - but there is a division on FUEL or SAFETY ALTITUDE
Who gets the cigar? Seriously, it would help me with a little point.

Wensleydale
1st Dec 2016, 10:33
Having said fuel early in the thread, the split circle seems to ring a few bells from 40 years ago when I last did this! Go for safety Alt!

ExAscoteer
1st Dec 2016, 11:53
Safety Alitude.

Fuel was notated in a split circle blacks over reds ie fuel expected over min fuel required.

DCThumb
1st Dec 2016, 12:29
I remember my solo JP land away to Church Fenton -No 1 Tucano course in residence. They looked at my map and said 'you have made a mistake......your red fuels are the same as the black'.....
It was no mistake - as I recall the procedure was to fly along until you hit 'chicken fuel' then pull up to medium level and declare fuel priority!!!!

Apologies for thread drift.....the bottom box IS safety alt !

hugh flung_dung
1st Dec 2016, 13:44
From the Bulldog instructor manual:

22. Turning point boxes and planned times are marked at each significant position eg TOC, turning points, TOD. They should be positioned so that important information is not obscured.

23. The layout of the box is shown below:
HDG
TRK
FL
IAS
SALT

24. You will find a suitable template on the Strike Rule. Note that the information in the TP box refers to the associated NEXT leg, ie, it is the information that you will need to give the pilot in order for him to fly the aircraft as required to the next turning point. "Planned Time" refers to the flight plan time that you expect to be at that turning point (ie the time on your primary stopwatch).

25. Fuel circles should be marked alongside turning point boxes and completed with the minimum fuel for that position. (Fuel circles for the portion of the transit must refer to a specific position on track, not a time (see example ERC illustration). FEEL checks will be planned when airborne, at a time of low work load (ie in between fixes).

HFD

walter kennedy
1st Dec 2016, 14:23
Thank you all - much appreciated

Pontius Navigator
1st Dec 2016, 16:02
Bulldog had TOC/TOD :)

unkind43
2nd Dec 2016, 07:00
ISTR on rotary it was HADTFIR

HDG
ALT
DIST
TIME
(split box)
FUEL IND
FUEL REQ

FixClrEnt
3rd Dec 2016, 08:40
The layout of the box is shown below:
HDG
TRK
FL
IAS
SALT

The above was used for medium/high level nav where the FL and hence IAS was leg specific. For low-level the IAS for each leg would usually be calculated to give a fixed standard ground speed (7nm/min, 4nm/min, 3.5nm/min, 2nm/min)

The photo in the link at the start of the thread depicts a low-level map/route with a leg distance in the second box of 42nm. The leg time below it showing 21:00 ie 21 minutes (at 2nm/min). No IAS or alt/FL data is needed at low-level. An on-the-day wind-corrected heading was usually put above the track in the arrowhead of the symbol.

walter kennedy
3rd Dec 2016, 14:15
You get the cigar:
top box "A" was waypoint at end of the leg;
2nd box "027" was (mag) hdg/track to A from start of leg;
3rd box "21:00" 21 minutes leg time;
4th box "42" naut miles length of leg;
5th box "2800" ft SALT.
mmm but you say << No IAS or alt/FL data is needed at low-level.>> as would be expected - and I can tell you that this was planned to be a LL flight - so is it usual to have SALTs in their planning just in case of an abort - or would there normally be a more detailed plan of a proposed low level route? Especially for a long trip, a significant part over water, with VIP passengers?

BEagle
3rd Dec 2016, 15:39
Surely 2800 is the address code for the mythical handheld DME which Weird Wally thinks was in use by the little green men on the headland?

:rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
3rd Dec 2016, 18:35
WK, given UK weather a low level abort was always likely hence SALT is essential.

walter kennedy
4th Dec 2016, 04:43
BEggles you are pathetic - proof of the fit of that kit came after I had suggested its use - QED for the analysis effort. But that's off topic - was just trying to clear up an issue with some chartwork here.

BEagle
4th Dec 2016, 06:39
Sorry...

walter kennedy
9th Dec 2016, 23:19
PN
Agreed, but it was their intent (and only option with fuel and icing limitations to achieve the whole trip) to do it at LL; it is apparent from their nav setting that, once they had "touched base" at the Mull, they intended to head back over the sound (a significant bit of open water crossing) to pick up the 028 track parallel to the coast Islay/Jura to get to the start of the Great Glen - with all those VIPs on board, surely one would have expected a more detailed plan reflecting this route. Indeed, the chart presented at the inquiry looks like it was more appropriate for the two Puma sortie planned by the RN Officer Lt K.