PDA

View Full Version : CFI in Australia or US?

Wong_
29th Nov 2016, 07:55
Hello. I am Portuguese and about to finish my college in Engineering. I am not able to get EASA class 1 medical but FAA or CASA one. In this situation, is it means that I could never get any jobs as a pilot in Euro although I have citizenship?

Now I am thinking about flight schools in Australia or in the US. My final goal is to get a job in major airline. Most of which requires 1500hrs or even more, 500hrs PIC. I probably go on CFI or even CFII and become a instructor after my CPL to build up the hours. In this way, is it better in Australia or in the US? I heard that there are 20hrs quota per week to work in Australia while using student visa. It seems that I could use these 20hrs to work as a flight instructor after CPL CFI IR... And at the same time continue ATPL ground school courses.

Besides in the US, is it easy for international to work there? Comparing US and Australia, which country is easier to get the working permit, as commercial pilot with around 300hrs in total, basically I accept any kind of job as long as it could help me to build up hours. Anyone can share their experience? Thanks a lot.

ersa
4th Dec 2016, 10:08
Unless you have a green card for the US or a permanent visa for Australia , don't waste your money.

Spend your money where you are likely to get work

Tinstaafl
5th Dec 2016, 04:35
Be aware of terminology between the different regions. You may be surprised about just what qualification you get (and the privileges associated with it).

USA: CFI=Certificated Flight Instructor. Takes about 12 hours flight instruction + a flight test/checkride. Carries with it full authority & responsibility to teach - only in single engine aircraft - at all levels, send 1st & subsequent solo, and to operate entirely without supervision** of a more senior instructor.

**but your student pass rate is monitored by the FAA. Too many failures can result in the FAA questioning your CFI qualification.

USA: CFII: Teach Instrument Rating stuff. Same requirement(s) re FAA monitoring of pass rate etc.

USA: MEI: Teach in multi-engine aircraft. Same limitations as the other instructor ratings re responsibility & authority.

Oz: CFI = Chief Flying Instructor. You are *not* qualified for this position as a new instructor (you need a Grade 1 instructor rating). So, what are the various instructor ratings in Oz?***

Oz: Grade 3: Takes 50 hours flight training. Can instruct under the supervision of a Grade 1 instructor. May not send anyone solo until at least 100hrs instructing experience, and then after that only for subsequent solo ie never 1st solo in any sequence.

Oz: Gr 2: 250 hrs instructing + a flight test/checkride. Can now send people for a 1st solo. With more experience may do Flight Reviews.

Oz: Gr 1: 750 hours instructing + flight test/checkride. Can teach instrument rating stuff. May supervise junior instructors. Can be a Chief Flying Instructor for a non-instructor school + some other limitations about the level of school.

Oz: Multi Engine Training approval: A separate 'add-on endorsement to a Gr 3, 2 or 1 Instructor Rating.

***Note that the rules in Oz changed recently so some of what I've written is somewhat outdated. However the gist is still much the same. Oz used to prohibit an instructor exercising most of the instructor privileges outside the auspices of a licenced flying school. That's been relaxed, unlike the US where, once you're licenced, you have always been free to go forth & instruct if you can find a plane & some students. In short, in Oz you answered to the CFI of the flying school (who then answered to the regulatory authority) whereas in the US you were your own (chief) flying instructor and answered directly to the FAA for your results.

They are two very different systems! What's more, a qualification in one doesn't transfer to the other.