PDA

View Full Version : Revolving door @ Airservices?

buckshot1777
27th Nov 2016, 07:26
Not long after hearing from Airservices about all the "backroom" staff being made redundant (no doubt an expensive payout exercise), there are now pages of jobs advertised on their site :)

Amazing.

Keep clicking on the "More jobs" button at the bottom of the page.

Current Opportunities | Airservices (http://careers.airservicesaustralia.com/caw/en/listing/)

Sunfish
27th Nov 2016, 21:18
The tide is gradually turning against the Globalist "free trade push". The next stage of that, assuming Trump goes through with his promises and Brexit actually occurs, is a revisiting of conventional current economic wisdom about the efficiency of private vs. public sector service provider models and that includes Airservices.

Frankly Airservices and CASA are both seriously flawed models. Their proponents tout " Private sector efficiency with public sector accountability" what we actually get is "Private sector rapacity with public sector sloth".

To put that another way, we get the worst of BOTH the public and private service delivery systems

In more detail that means inflated costs as the "business" pays its managers "comparable market based salaries". That means an inflated services charging regime. However since there is no blowtorch of competition, there can be no consumer choice. Then of course, when threatened by events, its employees do their level best to proclaim themselves simple public servants.

Jobs for life and commercial salaries. What happened to the old idea that public servants were paid less because they had jobs for life?

I think the pendulum is about to swing the other way..

dhavillandpilot
27th Nov 2016, 22:02
I could just scream. On Sunday I sat in the Parkes terminal with the SAAB340 outside waiting for over an hour so it could slot into Mascot.

The reason, not enough controllers available so less movements at Sydney.

Probably cost all the airlines millions so Air Services could save a few bucks on less staff.

What a joke, a monopoly that dictates it own rules, and the government
that lets it get away with it.

The name is Porter
28th Nov 2016, 00:00
They have not and will not offer line controllers redundancy. They haven't the capacity to replace retiring and resigning controllers, simple as that. The fact is, civilair warned these idiots over a decade ago that they will have a staffing problem. The smartest men and women in the room knew better.

The place needs a serious cleanout, Donald Trump may have been referencing ASA when he talked of the swamp.

Controllers continue to do their job while management lies to you about capacity constraints. You can take that as meaning ATC short staffed.

neville_nobody
28th Nov 2016, 01:39
They have not and will not offer line controllers redundancy. They haven't the capacity to replace retiring and resigning controllers, simple as that. The fact is, civilair warned these idiots over a decade ago that they will have a staffing problem. The smartest men and women in the room knew better.

Unfortunately that problem is rife throughout big businesses. Management continually under staff/under resource and collect a nice little KPI on the way through and conveniently move on after a couple of years without ever actually fixing the problem.

le Pingouin
28th Nov 2016, 03:23
Don't forget the shareholder (i.e. government) demanding their dividend regardless.

cbradio
28th Nov 2016, 04:13
They have not and will not offer line controllers redundancy. ]

Big holes in Sydney air traffic control roster threaten busy holiday travel (http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/big-holes-in-sydney-air-traffic-control-roster-threaten-busy-holiday-travel-20161115-gsqaf5.html)

Depends on the definition of "line controller" ;)

-JLS-
28th Nov 2016, 04:20
I recall looking on there a few months back - they had something like 15 or 16 jobs advertised and literally every single one was a job title containing "(something) Manager".

Pavement
28th Nov 2016, 09:59
There were 70+ jobs advertised for external applicants the other day. Many looked like roles that had been made redundant. The old change the name of the job trick.

If anyone thinks that no ATCs have taken redundancy then I've got a bridge to sell. Some were supervisors and some on secondment, still have to fill those numbers.

topdrop
28th Nov 2016, 11:26
At least 3 line controllers in Cairns to be made redundant in April next year. There will be a few from Adelaide as well when the Approach units are transferred to BN and ML respectively.

le Pingouin
28th Nov 2016, 11:32
True, but those are part of the relocations and not the "downsizing".

The name is Porter
28th Nov 2016, 13:12
No line controllers will be offered redundancy. Any controller on this board who puts forward that an ALM is a line controller is bull****ting you, bridge or no bridge.

Topdrops bull**** has nothing to do with the current downsizing. It has everything to do older controllers not wanting to relocate when their unit is closed down.

Dangly Bits
28th Nov 2016, 22:19
I can't believe they basically disbanded their Safety Promotions Team! I would have thought that Promoting Safety would be an essential part of their Certificate Approval from CASA! They were a good team doing a good job within Airservices and their efforts will be missed by all.

Pavement
29th Nov 2016, 02:50
No line controllers will be offered redundancy. Any controller on this board who puts forward that an ALM is a line controller is bull****ting you, bridge or no bridge.

Topdrops bull**** has nothing to do with the current downsizing. It has everything to do older controllers not wanting to relocate when their unit is closed down.

Two from PH who were on secondment were offered and took redundancy. My bridge is safe 🙃

cbradio
29th Nov 2016, 03:35
Wasn't just ALMs.

Tuck Mach
29th Nov 2016, 03:39
Employers loved the flexibility of outsourcing, 457 visas and stagnant real wage growth supported by a fudged CPI.

All that short term thinking missed the elephant in the room;

In demographics is destiny