PDA

View Full Version : Advice to further my career in Airline mgmt - another MBA? Change of department?

transworld1
26th Nov 2016, 10:43
Hi everyone

first of all I wanted to say this is a great and informative site and I have been reading quite a bit around the forums. Good stuff!

I am posting for some career advice from fellow airline management colleagues. I found a few posts from people wanting to get in the industry but not much with regards to furthering one's career once in the biz. If I missed the posts, apologies.

Having worked for a major regional European carrier as airport services manager both in-country and in three international airports for a total of 7 years, I moved to the Middle East about 4 years ago with a position in ground services management.

I have an MBA from a UK university and three IATA certificates: Ground Operation Management, Safety Management Systems and Revenue Management.

Now, I have held my position for about 3.5 years and I am about to get a promotion. However I do feel a bit stuck and that maybe I could do more to further my career chances, both within the current airline but also to line up my next job for another international carrier.

So I would like to ask for your advice: I have been thinking of signing up for an Aviation Management specific MBA like Embry Riddle or London City (it would have to be distance learning cause I can't quit, obviously). Or maybe I should consider a discipline change? to an area which offers more growth opportunities?

I am 42 years old, hard worker and I think I am good at my job (or so say my boss and the people I work for). If I can think of a weakness, I would say I may not be very good at networking, but the airline I work for now does not have the best environment...

Sorry for the long post - I want to thank you in advance for an advice you may be willing to share with me.
Cheers