PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Orange water at LTN

want2beapilot
5th Jul 2002, 15:57
Recently there has been an issue within a certain orange airline at Luton with reference to the water allowances to crew. Does anybody have a document that describes the correct & legal amounts? Or even better the laws stating what MUST be supplied by the airline/company for cabin & flight crew during varied FDP's? I am very concerned at certain LPL P1 Managers who are taking it upon themselves to all of a sudden become qualified doctors. Therefore I would greatly appreciate the info.

QDMQDMQDM
5th Jul 2002, 20:49
I cannot believe that any company anywhere would wish to limit the amount of water consumed by their employees. There is no 'correct' amount to drink. Each individual drinks what they wish and need to drink in any given situation. To question the amount of water drunk by healthy people, or to limit it in any way, is absurd and quite unfair.

Without wishing to get too 'One out all out' about this, don't you have a union? Or what about the Health and Safety Executive?

QDM

phd
9th Jul 2002, 15:45
The Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations 1992, enacted under the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 state:-

"An adequate supply of wholesome drinking water shall be provided for all persons at work"

I think this is a fairly unambiguous duty on employers and should not really be the cause of difficulty for either employer or employee. If still not happy and receiving no joy from your company then your friendly BALPA representative or HSE office should perhaps be contacted.

FlapsOne
10th Jul 2002, 15:23
Please guys, get your facts correct before putting finger to keyboard!

The water 'allowance' has not been rationed. the problem was at a crew changeover when partially used 2 ltr to bottles of water would not be handed over to new crew members - for obvious health and safety reasons. The supplies were therefore starting to run low during a particular series of flights.

As soon as the problem was raised action was taken to correct it.

No scandal, no problem, no story!

Sorry to disappoint.............................

QDMQDMQDM
10th Jul 2002, 15:50
Please guys, get your facts correct before putting finger to keyboard!

Hang on, FlapsOne,

We were just responding to the initial post which said nothing of the sort of what you describe. Don't shoot the people trying to give helpful advice to what may have been an inaccurate scenario in the first place. We had no way of knowing that.

QDM

FlapsOne
11th Jul 2002, 14:44
Hence my post!

An inaccurate start followed by replies full of assumptions makes for a very bad rumour - especially where health and safety is concerned.

PAXboy
13th Jul 2002, 23:58
For what its worth ... all of the figures that I have heard about water consumption agree on 2 litres per adult per day.

That is water and not tea/coffee/fizzy drinks which are diuretic, which means that if you drink 1 litre of tea and/or coffee, you should drink 3 litres of water to maintain a balance.