PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick lounges for loco travel worth it ?

poke53281
22nd Nov 2016, 14:44
A family member who has just bought a holiday home in spain will be travelling frequetly probobly with EZ from LGW and i wondered if a lounge pass would make a good christmas gift or would be an overkill for a quick board (and probobly early in the day)
Any comments appreciated on lounges at gatwick when flying with easy.

PAXboy
22nd Nov 2016, 23:18
I would check the cost of the pass and divide by the number of expected trips. If you can find a pass that also works in a lounge at the other end - then it really will be worth it.

Also, try and find out the walking time from the LGW lounge to the gates that EZY use.

V800
23rd Nov 2016, 10:30
Read the Ts and Cs very carefully as it could be a total waste of time and money.

The third party pay lounges at Gatwick are oversubscribed and a lot of these lounge passes weather brought, or given out with credit cards and travel insurance only give access on a space available basis.

Holders of lounge passes are at the back of the queue after passengers on airlines that have contracts and people with bookings through holiday packages..

easyflyer83
23rd Nov 2016, 12:03
I don't think it really matters whether it's a LOCO flight (short haul is becoming the same regardless for your average economy passenger) or indeed where they are travelling to. If your relative tends to spend time at the airport then i'm sure a lounge pass would be of some value to them.

Andy_S
23rd Nov 2016, 12:03
Also consider check in times. I believe (stand to be corrected) that EZY will only let you check in 2 hours prior to the flight. By the time you've checked in, cleared security and made it to the lounge, there may barely be time for a coffee before you need to be on your way.

ExXB
23rd Nov 2016, 12:49
I believe it's three hours, with some exceptions (previous night check-in at LGW)

BKS Air Transport
23rd Nov 2016, 19:48
I think that to some extent it depends on individual attitudes. Some people seem to like the general hubbub and activity that a busy airport brings; personally I hate it. Unfortunately, as my journeys often require connections, it means that sometimes I have to spend time in them, and on such occasions I find a lounge to be an invaluable oasis.
Just to add though, I used one of the third party lounges at Gatwick North on a Saturday afternoon around a month ago, and I noticed that pass holders were being asked to try again later.

davidjohnson6
24th Nov 2016, 13:41
Most LCC passengers travel point-to-point, seem to fly with just hand luggage and have the option of checking in online.
Why not instead just leave home a bit later and plan to arrive at the airport between 60 and 90 mins before one's departing flight ? For those early morning flights my strong preference is to have a bit longer in bed...

Johnny F@rt Pants
24th Nov 2016, 14:56
Amen to that David, I find it astounding the number of people that feel the need to get to the airport at 4am for a 6:30 departure. An extra hour in bed is always the better option.

ExXB
24th Nov 2016, 15:17
However 5:00 at the airport could still have you in security at departure time.

pax britanica
24th Nov 2016, 16:07
I dont think many people want to be at the airport at 0430 but have to leave ata time that guarantees they will be there at 0530 but cannot guarantee trains will run , roads are not closed or traffic problems and then when everything runs smoothly you get there very early

PAXboy
24th Nov 2016, 19:38
Last week, the Gatwick Express was anything but, with two cancellations in a row. Then told to hurry round to another platform to a regular train that was calling at LGW. So that was three trains of people on one. The escalators and lifts at LGW cannot handle that easily.

You cannot rely upon the trains or the highways in the UK. Get there early, I say.

Neil Amrose
2nd Dec 2016, 17:29
With hold baggage factor 45 minute queue time for bag drop,15 mins security.Based on
3 trips in 2016 two with EZ one with Thomson bothNorth Terminal Gatwick.Handling Agents
just do not provide enough staff,eg 15 desks 5 manned.On the plus side security slick and
very well staffed.

easyflyer83
2nd Dec 2016, 20:11
EZY is self service bag drop these days with the North Terminal having the largest automated bag drop in the world. How that translates queue wise I don't know.

T250
2nd Dec 2016, 21:18
EZY is self service bag drop these days with the North Terminal having the largest automated bag drop in the world.

The windowless, sterile, soul less 1st floor of the North Terminal's bag drop. Such is 'progress' :rolleyes:

Wonder exactly how much easyJet are saving annually now through reduced staff/handling costs as a result?? :oh:

RAT 5
3rd Dec 2016, 13:37
Check out the best value local hotel with parking & shuttle; negotiate a year's worth = 10 nights paid up front and see what that costs. If you friend agrees the deal you could stump up the first night as an intro.