PDA

View Full Version : WestJet pilots vote against fleet expansion

rotornut
19th Nov 2016, 04:07
WestJet pilots vote against wide-bodied fleet expansion - Business - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-pilots-vote-against-expanding-fleet-1.3858528)

172_driver
19th Nov 2016, 12:24
Anyone in WestJet care to elaborate?

Taking what it says at face value I get it as "WestJet pilots voted against better pay for all, alternatively some, of their pilots"

Media is known for a balanced view on industrial relations :ugh:

Mostly Harmless
19th Nov 2016, 17:37
I'm going to take a WAG here and say:

Perhaps the pilot group felt the offer was a little light on remuneration or working conditions, or;

Perhaps what was offered in exchange for the stock options was less than the worth of the options effectively meaning a pay cut rather than a status quo or even a raise.

Perhaps both.

The article posted only had one viewpoint, that of the company spokesperson. In fact, the Headline is seriously biased. I very much doubt the pilot group voted against expansion, they voted against the agreement they were offered.

twochai
20th Nov 2016, 13:31
Canada's most favourite airline buys a huge amount of a Canadian built and designed jetliner.

Actually, it was designed, then built, believe it or not!

clunckdriver
20th Nov 2016, 19:28
The press has set a new standard of inaccurate reporting, the article must have been written by the same reporter who reported on a "Cessna Piper Cub" accident. Yes, I have read the proposition, it was simply a choice between two pay systems to sum it up, a bit of a simplification, but close enough for the internet!

nolimitholdem
22nd Nov 2016, 03:12
Hmm...it sounds like the 737 pilots resented the 767 pilots getting bigger pay to fly bigger airplanes...so instead of aspiring to become 767 pilots, voted down the pay increase. That way nobody wins and everyone is equal. Yay. Except now there won't be more 767's. Oops.

How Canadian! :}

altiplano
22nd Nov 2016, 17:13
Sounds like it was a pay cut for the 737 guys with only minimal exchanged for the stock options (a few bucks an hour vs. the previous 20% match)...

Plus the widebody pay scale was anemic...

Raise your hand it you want to be the lowest paid widebody pilot in the free world!

Good for the WS Pilot's!

We are all worth more in this time of looming shortages, record corporate profits and ever maxed out working conditions.

Canada's most favourite airline buys a huge amount of a Canadian built and designed jetliner

That headline already ran:

Air Canada and Bombardier Finalize Landmark C Series Order for up to 75 Aircraft - Bombardier (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.bombardier.com/en/media/newsList/details.bombardier-commercialaircraft-20160628-air-canada-firm-c-series-.bombardiercom.html&ved=0ahUKEwj8gZS7-rzQAhXBy4MKHahiDtoQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNGiICv6fsrAQJXJlocgVLG7S4Ap9w&sig2=HvOOilEXPe6CL3et_Q0NYA)

Mostly Harmless
22nd Nov 2016, 21:22
nolimitholdem

Hmm...it sounds like the 737 pilots resented the 767 pilots getting bigger pay to fly bigger airplanes...so instead of aspiring to become 767 pilots, voted down the pay increase. That way nobody wins and everyone is equal. Yay. Except now there won't be more 767's. Oops.

How Canadian!

I'm not sure where you derived this idea but you are 100% wrong on everything you just wrote.

GMC1500
27th Nov 2016, 23:06
Interesting.

Shenlin
24th Dec 2016, 01:36
Passed on the second try 4 Ex jal 767 slated to come