View Full Version : Bleeding Hearts

whistlingdixy
5th Jul 2002, 11:59
While we all at CX are bleating about our lot perhaps time to spare a thought for those at Air NZ.

15% pay cut! That takes an SO down to HK$155,000 with no housing benefits at all.

Compare that to CX HK$390,000 + HK$152,000 housing.

Not necessarily apples with apples, I know, but bear in mind at Air NZ you are an SO for 8-10yrs, at CX 2-3yrs.

I guess the only real difference is that the chaps/ladies at Air NZ are willing to stick their necks out and strike for 2 days....... unlike us! We'll just sit back and blame some new joiners who have naff all to do with the issue.

jtr
5th Jul 2002, 12:41
Thanks for the insight, :rolleyes: now I knowwhy beer is 5 times more expensive in HK

6feetunder
5th Jul 2002, 12:43
dixy, are you a member of the HKAOA?

John Swire
5th Jul 2002, 13:13
HK$152,000 p.a. housing @ HK$12/sq.ft/month is a 1,000 sq.ft. flat.

I can recall someone in an earlier thread complaining about 500/600 sq.ft. shoeboxes....

pontius's pa
5th Jul 2002, 17:52
Dear Whistlingdixie,

I note that you are a recent subscriber otherwise you would have realised that even if you have said that ANZ were now only paying salaries in kind with apples and lamb, there would be at least one CX stalwart saying that the ANZ guys were not being as badly treated as CX pilots.

One is reminded of what I think was called the "Sleeping Policemans Ball", a UK charity show in which in one sketch various members of the cast competed to see who had suffered the most hardship in their upbringing, the final round being decided by the relative sizes of the shoebox in which the whole family had lived whilst they were kids. Sounds familiar?

Yes it is true that CX is not paying the the current CX pilots the salaries that it used to in the good old days. And I agree that CX management is overly cavalier in its approach to ALL it's staffs' conditions of service, but that sadly is the way the world is these days, and not limited to CX I can assure you.

Until the AOA can accept that fings ain't wot they used to be, and stop wasting their time time with the silly threats that are now exposing it to the mockery and disdain so frequently expressed by their peers on this forum, then there will be no way forward for them and they will slowly fade away.

Lets hope the upcoming AOA EGM stops the rot. Sadly, I have my doubts.

With reference to Kiwis living at home, many CX pilots get the benefits of being HKG permanent residents and own their own properties, (bought with their housing allowance over the years), so I guess they too live "at home", and get paid housing allowance to boot.

Certainly not apples to apples.