PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simulation Software

superKar
15th Nov 2016, 15:05
Hi guys,

in your opinion and based on your personal experience which flight simulation software would you recommend to buy and practise before taking the ADAPT or the Compass test?

HEJT2015
15th Nov 2016, 15:32
X-Plane 110% :)

Officer Kite
15th Nov 2016, 16:50
Nothing really. I went to the OAA adapt test and didn't touch any prepay software or flight sim and passed, just did my maths and physics revision. Considering I had been to many assessments before where I forked out on all manner of prep packs, I felt I'd wasted my cash looking back !

SeventhHeaven
15th Nov 2016, 17:54
I second the above.

The compass test is probably one of the most reasonable assessments around. It's designed by pilots,, for pilots.

It doesn't catch you out, there are no tricks, you can't really prepare for it anyway. It's just aptitude.

There is no set score you need to pass, it has a fluid pass mark. A 5/7 today is not the same as a 5/7 next year. It just shows what percentile you fall in.

Remember, you don't have to be amazing, at all! It's not an evaluation tool. It's just a handy kit of software that tries to evaluate potential training risk. You're allowed to have weak points in your profile. Most people have 3 or 4 areas that the software picks up on that MIGHT influence your training. They still get taken on :) It's all part of the game.

They just want to see you're not a complete tool. Preparing won't help you! Just relax, really, don't stress yourself out over this .. I know it's easy to say online, but in my experience, it's by far the easiest part of the entire assessment loop!

RedBullGaveMeWings
16th Nov 2016, 11:07
Aren't SkyTest and their likings more suited to prepare for such selection process?

I would suggest X-Plane or MSFS/P3D for IR training but certainly not for ADAPT and Compass test.

By making you go through this selection process, they don't want you to score high, they want to see your aptitude and have a confirmation that you are a trainable guy.

facepalm
19th Nov 2016, 09:37
Flightgear would be a good choice if you're on a budget.