PDA

View Full Version : SIDs and Cessna aircraft for sale

flywatcher
15th Nov 2016, 07:11
I have noticed a lot of advertisements lately for Cessna aircraft defined as SIDs compliant. Does this mean that (a) SIDs have been done, (b) SIDs have not been done, (c) in the sellers opinion the SIDs could be done at the new buyers expense, (d) SIDs have not been done but maybe they could be done by someone, or (e) what are SIDs?

If anyone could enlighten me I would be very grateful.

Band a Lot
15th Nov 2016, 07:22
If you are talking Australian registered aircraft in Australia - (a) and (b) can legally be correct depending on model and operational category.

The big SID's hurt every 10 or 20 years - So can be SID's Compliant now but due many SID's in 6 months from now.

Same as a SID'S compliant can be they have never been due yet, but will be in a year or so - currently it is compliant all "due" inspections.

Creepy Beard
15th Nov 2016, 07:31
SIDs is never really 'done' as it is an ongoing program. That is to say, the aircraft might be compliant at that point in time, but further inspections will be required in the future.

Further, in my experience from talking to a few engineers (as I have been looking to buy a Cessna for the past six months) is that there are 'SIDs compliant' aircraft and 'SIDs compliant' aircraft, if you know what I mean...that is to say - get any aircraft thoroughly checked by someone trustworthy before you purchase.

Band a Lot
15th Nov 2016, 08:04
Correct Creepy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycfidda6e6t8ypr/Sample%20SIDs.docx?dl=0

edsbar
15th Nov 2016, 08:06
(a) SIDs are never 'done', SIDs are ongoing, the Herpes of General Aviation in Australia with no terminating action.

(e) SIDs are Supplemental Inspection Documents published as an amendment to the Aircraft Maintenance Manual by the Manufacturer, in this case Cessna.

'SIDs compliant' is generally the term used to state that the SIDs inspections are up to date. Mileage may vary!

Band a Lot
15th Nov 2016, 08:13
I disagree edsbar - terminating action is simply export from Australia to one of very many countries.

Then no more Herpes exist just like magic.

Duck Pilot
15th Nov 2016, 08:41
Or just simply lash the bucks out and buy a new one every 10 years!

I wouldn't buy a Cessna though, it would be a Viking Twin Otter on floats!

Just gotta win Tatts......

flywatcher
16th Nov 2016, 20:26
Thank you all for your replies. Would I be right in saying that every single 100 series Cessna in Australia is "SIDs compliant". Some have had a full SIDs inspection and are compliant well into the future. The others, which have only had normal maintenance and no SIDs inspections are "SIDs compliant" until the CASA mandated deadline for SIDs inspections expires. They then become "non compliant"until they have a full SIDs or are scrapped and become non existent.
Am I reading this correctly?

Band a Lot
16th Nov 2016, 22:52
100 series - All SIDs start at 20 years old.

100 series aircraft in PRIVATE category regardless of age are currently SID's compliant - as CASA given an exemption until 30 June 2018.

100 series aircraft in Charter/Airwork if flying "should" have had SID's done by around mid 2016 (memory don't recall exact date) - it is possible for a 100 series in Charter/Airwork to have a in date Maintenance Release but no SID's done.

edsbar
16th Nov 2016, 23:19
100 series - All SIDs start at 20 years old.

Are you sure about that?

Band a Lot
17th Nov 2016, 02:17
100 series - All SID's inspections are due by 20 years old (disregarding hrs requirements)

100 series Private category are exempt by CASA until 30 June 2018.

(20 years is the longest period given by Cessna before first inspection is due, some are much less). With CASA 100 series exemption there will be several aircraft that have never had a SID done in around 60 years!

Nothing like a bit of a safety margin!

Dump the SID's and bring back the Major Inspection - A Mini Major at 5 years/ A Major Major at 10 years. (possible shorter for some operations like RPT and Airwork, and longer for others like Private operations)