PDA

View Full Version : Bell AH-1Z for Romania?

chopper2004
14th Nov 2016, 19:39
Bell Helicopter signs Memorandum of Understanding with IAR - Ghimbav Brasov (http://www.bellhelicopter.com/news/press-release/2016/11/mou-iar)

Lonewolf_50
14th Nov 2016, 20:12
Nice looking bird. Hope this deal goes through.

Heathrow Harry
14th Nov 2016, 22:34
IAR are a pretty capable outfit and the Romanians need some new(-ish) kit badly

CAC Runaway
16th Nov 2016, 03:55
Good to fly, better sight than the AH-64E and faster..... but I'd still take the AH-64E over this any day. Much more capability in terms of systems (UAS control etc) and more robust, though more expensive too.

Otterotor
16th Nov 2016, 18:57
CAC Runaway

More robust?? Z max climb rate greater than Apache, Vne 223 kts is greater than Apache, Roll inertia lower than Apache, thus roll rate response greater than Apache. Bearingless rotors (10,000 hr retirement) less maintenance than Apache. What is more robust about the Apache? :confused: Otterotor

CAC Runaway
16th Nov 2016, 21:48
CAC Runaway

More robust?? Z max climb rate greater than Apache, Vne 223 kts is greater than Apache, Roll inertia lower than Apache, thus roll rate response greater than Apache. Bearingless rotors (10,000 hr retirement) less maintenance than Apache. What is more robust about the Apache? :confused: Otterotor
Ah Otterotor, from Bedford, Texas, 3 miles from the Bell Helicopter factory, guess that tells a story!

I don't want to get into an AH-64 v AH-1 pissing competition. By robust I mean in terms of protection for the occupant, be it crash (stroking wheels v short skids), ASE (HFI, RFI) etc. Oh and I have flown both (AH-64E and AH-1Z), have you? I work for neither company so I think my opinion is valid, though just my opinion... maybe you don't? I think you'll find I was complimenting your baby but not enough for your liking.

As an aside your comment on roll inertia being lower therefore roll rate response is greater... please explain that one to me please? What about control power, AFCS etc... there's a lot more to roll rate response than just inertia.

zero1
17th Nov 2016, 11:27
So which aircraft company sold more, perhaps that's the easiest test to gauge, which is the better overall weapons platform....

Both are good aircraft but as always it depends on the mission profiles the aircraft has to operate and their combat environments.

Lonewolf_50
17th Nov 2016, 14:02
@zero1: are you referring to all years for Apaches sold, or the E configuration? Depending upon what you mean the comparison may not be apples to apples. Another issue is maintainability, which (depending upon the year) various Apache editions have had some issues with.

zero1
17th Nov 2016, 19:59
Good point, total sales is perhaps not the best measure as each generation of
airframe introduces new technology and basic fixes, as lessons are learned in the field.

Having said that the Cobra has not seen the widespread adoption, compared to other aircraft types, the totals sales for the AH 64 are in excess of 2000 airframes with 16 airforces deploying them and the AH1 Cobra has knocked up 1200 sales with 10 airforces. That is not to say it is not a good aircraft, the latest verisons of both aircraft are the bees knees and the plus point for the Cobra is that it is less than half price but not half as capable.... one could argue the Cabral is just a capable if not more so. It's the usual issue of comparing Apples with Apples.

Heathrow Harry
18th Nov 2016, 07:28
TBH as far as Romania is concerned they need something/anything QUICKLY and numbers are likely to be as important as capability from a deterrent view

KenV
18th Nov 2016, 12:58
The "which is better" argument depends almost entirely on the requirements. USMC can almost certainly afford to buy "more capable" Apaches, but for them Cobras fit their requirements better.

West Coast
18th Nov 2016, 22:42
CAC runway

Exchange slot or by some other means did you get the opportunity to fly both?

CAC Runaway
21st Nov 2016, 19:48
A couple of jobs ;)

West Coast
22nd Nov 2016, 16:02
What would those jobs be?

Lonewolf_50
22nd Nov 2016, 16:27
WC, this might be an issue better suited for a PM, as it is obvious that someone is wary of public postings.

West Coast
22nd Nov 2016, 17:49
Let CAC decide that.