PDA

View Full Version : When aviation meets filmmaking

mickjoebill
14th Nov 2016, 11:24
Two stuntmen, who can't swim, are dropped into water by helicopter and drown.

I am not suggesting that the pilot is responsible.

Whilst it is an extreme and extraordinary example, it serves as a reminder of the corrosive effect on common sense when aviation meets filmmaking.

https://youtu.be/zNeD5xTStFQ

zNeD5xTStFQ

Note that the sole(?) saftey(?) boat rescued the star who could swim and the non swimmers drowned:(

Mickjoebill

noflynomore
14th Nov 2016, 13:08
er, what kind of "stuntman" can't swim?
And they found two of them? To voluntarily jump into a lake?

Do I detect the hand of Mr Darwin in this?

The scene at 00:50' sets the scene for an upcoming accident too, imo. Crazy!

Lama Bear
14th Nov 2016, 16:22
The badness of a movie is directly proportional to the number of helicopters in it.

Dave Barry

twinstar_ca
14th Nov 2016, 18:47
anyone remember skyscraper with Anna Nicole?? :O

albatross
14th Nov 2016, 20:47
I have done a little bit of onscreen and offscreen filming work..
All I can say is..be very, very careful.. these nutbars will try to kill you.
Worked with some very professional folks .. also with a few who had no idea what they were asking for nor did they have any concept of safety.
Having said that..I have encountered those problems in many other jobs in the helicopter industry through the years.

GoodGrief
14th Nov 2016, 21:46
In general, Indians can't swim...Public swimming pools are not part of popular culture.

JerryG
15th Nov 2016, 10:35
Blatant commercial plug - My next book FILM PILOT comes out around Easter next year, with a few salient lessons in how to avoid looking stupid at the subsequent board of enquiry.

But I did have to read the line "two stuntmen ... who couldn't swim" several times before concluding that it was unusually not me who had completely lost the plot!

paco
15th Nov 2016, 13:21
What albatross said.... never again! :)

Phil

Hughes500
15th Nov 2016, 13:35
Well all I can say having worked for a number of film makers including those that look after James May, Richard Hammond etc etc have been fantastic. If I am unhappy with the risks asessment or even if their guys aren't, it does't happen !
Maybe something to do with a 1st world culture ?
It has to be said what were the stuntmen thinking ?

whoknows idont
15th Nov 2016, 16:23
But I did have to read the line "two stuntmen ... who couldn't swim" several times before concluding that it was unusually not me who had completely lost the plot!

Same here! But I had an even harder time wrapping my head around the fact (if all of this is actually true) that they still decided to jump into that lake despite not being able to swim...
You gotta admire their go-getter attitude but I mean COME ON! :ugh:
It would come at a great surprise if they don't win the Darwin Award with this stunt.

Moments before, Uday told a reporter: " I hope all will be fine with the grace of God"

megan
16th Nov 2016, 04:14
It would come at a great surprise if they don't win the Darwin Award with this stuntThey've already been nominated in JB.