PDA

View Full Version : Simply putting gmails in their folders. What has changed?

Loose rivets
12th Nov 2016, 16:03
For years I've used Yahoo with total ease. Time and time again, gmail seems to change and throw me a wobbler. Now, I simply want to put all my gmail from ebay, into a folder called ebay UK.

Wouldn't you think that would be easy? I can move individually checked/ticked files. By why can't I filter the mass and then Move those?

Half an hour being offered nothing but putting files in the inbox. As far as I know, that's where they arrive to - and are there already.

Is below where I'm going wrong.

I search ebay files, and get them highlighted with all the others gone.
I'm assuming now I'm still in inbox and it says so beside each file. but I'm only offered Archive. WTF is that? or put them in the inbox. The 'move to' just isn't offered.:ugh:

Quite a few people asking the same question.

Surely one can filter a load of files by Searching, and then Move to a folder?

cyclic35
12th Nov 2016, 17:13
Now, I simply want to put all my gmail from ebay, into a folder called ebay UK.

Wouldn't you think that would be easy? I can move individually checked/ticked files. By why can't I filter the mass and then Move those?

Half an hour being offered nothing but putting files in the inbox. As far as I know, that's where they arrive to - and are there already.

You have created a folder in GMail called "ebay UK"

Please try highlighting the emails you wish to move into this new folder.
(Hold Ctrl key down and left click on each email in turn.)
Once these are selected, try holding left click down and drag and drop onto the new folder.

Hope this helps.

boguing
12th Nov 2016, 17:33
To add to cyclic35.

Gmail calls folders 'labels'.

Once you've made your new folder, go into inbox and type eBay, then return. Now you've got all your eBay emails listed, click the 'select' button at top left, and choose all. Then click the labels button (above second from right) and check the eBay box and return.

obgraham
12th Nov 2016, 17:56
Well I'll be...
Thanks, Boguing, I've looked for a way to do that for years!

cyclic35
12th Nov 2016, 18:01
To add to cyclic35.

Gmail calls folders 'labels'.

Once you've made your new folder, go into inbox and type eBay, then return. Now you've got all your eBay emails listed, click the 'select' button at top left, and choose all. Then click the labels button (above second from right) and check the eBay box and return.

Thanks for the addition boguing. That is something else for me to try. :)

boguing
12th Nov 2016, 21:55
I need to add a bit more.

If you followed my instruction to type 'eBay' into the search box you will have gathered all the emails to and from eBay.

But. You'll also have any emails in which you mentioned eBay. Not so clever. So search instead for ebay.co.uk and narrow the field.

And to further add - unless you're hopelessly wedded to folders you can now see that it's so easy to search and group emails there's really no need to 'folderise' them. A good reason not to might be that by running the earlier and broader 'eBay' search and seeing them all in chronological order you can then see when you bought that thing and just above it will be the note you wrote to your friend telling him that you'd bought one, his reply etc.. which might be handy.

Loose rivets
13th Nov 2016, 01:31
cyclic that does work I'm relieved to say, but the rate at which ebay US and UK and PayPal US and UK all fire stuff at me means 100 build up in no time at all. The global highlighting is what I need. Or to be more disciplined with destroying the dross they put on. Oh, look rob, you need to add a penny to this, or YOu didn't win this so we're going to show you a hundred different things . . . an hour.

boguing Good call on defining the search a bit better.

I just tried again. (02:18 so can't play long) Christie's this time. Indeed, it brings up all the Christie's including the ones already in Christie's folder. How dumb is that? Having done that, it offers to put them in the inbox where a lot of them reside. Okay, each one is labelled - which is nice - but why oh why would they take away the "Move To" function in the pop-down menu to all the folders/labels just because you've pick a lot at once?

A quick 'nuther look before I fall asleep.

Loose rivets
13th Nov 2016, 01:46
I just don't know. I filtered them with their full e-address and got a good selection. Some were marked inbox. Some Christie's. These labels have a grey background and are by each file.

Okay, now not offered the Christie's folder. But, I picked that folder, gawped at it for a moment and then went back to the inbox. Now all the e's were in there by the Christies ones were there, not only highlighted in Yellow, but ticked. NOW if offered me a mass shifting to Christie's.

It seems that if there's ONE darn file in the target folder already, it takes away the Move to pertaining to that folder. In one case I had all my folders with the Christie's one missing. A clue, if ever there was one.

On't net there was something about two ways to bond the files to one destination or another. I guess that's what's mentioned above - all part of the new way of doing things. WE WANT FOLDERS! Some of us have been using them since X-Tree invented them. Now there was a file system.

Buggah, quater to three. :uhoh:

cyclic35
13th Nov 2016, 10:38
cyclic that does work I'm relieved to say, but the rate at which ebay US and UK and PayPal US and UK all fire stuff at me means 100 build up in no time at all. The global highlighting is what I need. Or to be more disciplined with destroying the dross they put on. Oh, look rob, you need to add a penny to this, or YOu didn't win this so we're going to show you a hundred different things . . . an hour.

boguing Good call on defining the search a bit better.

I just tried again. (02:18 so can't play long) Christie's this time. Indeed, it brings up all the Christie's including the ones already in Christie's folder. How dumb is that? Having done that, it offers to put them in the inbox where a lot of them reside. Okay, each one is labelled - which is nice - but why oh why would they take away the "Move To" function in the pop-down menu to all the folders/labels just because you've pick a lot at once?

A quick 'nuther look before I fall asleep.

Between boguing's excellent advice and my tentative input, you will have a good working knowledge and a basis for making an informed choice.

Having a conservative, suspicious nature makes my approach more of a time consuming "plodding" selection procedure. However, boguing's filtering process is beginning to have more appeal, as more confidence is gained.

Aren't *'@7% :mad: computers wonderful? :ugh:

Loose rivets
14th Nov 2016, 17:56
No, still don't get it. Quite enough time has been wasted on this pile of crap software, but I'm kind of stuck.

Calm down.

Okay, so it will work if I don't sort them with a search filter. It's the only way for now. I've looked at the huge page of controlling boxes and rejected that as being manifestly and stupidly over-complicated. It may work, but I haven't got a secretary.

Loose rivets
15th Nov 2016, 11:20
Okay. Just phoned a pal that's been an IBM programmer/teacher all his working life. He now uses a computer for CAD and all normal stuff. It happens he makes the most beautiful jewellery and publishes on his techniques. As By the Way as that is, it does show he's not the dimmest kid on the block.

He finds the management of gmail files exasperating. He's aware of the proper way of doing things but still gets bulked by what should be simple filtering tasks that just do not work logically.

So, no solution from him, but some comfort I'm not sinking into senility - well, not very quickly, anyway.