PDA

View Full Version : Essendons' Gnat - where did it go?

Critical Reynolds No
12th Nov 2016, 10:33
The one dressed up as a red arrow?

Squawk7700
12th Nov 2016, 22:04
If it hasn't already left the building it is about to go to West Sale to join a private flying collection owned by a U.K. based aviator, consisting of two Strikemasters and two Hawker Hunters.

Add that to Judy Pays Vampire at West Sale (plus others at times), there is a decent sized collection down there now.

Sunfish
13th Nov 2016, 00:54
Probably a match for the entire RAAF. :P

allthecoolnamesarego
13th Nov 2016, 05:37
I believe it has actually been sold to a Chinese person who is putting it on display somewhere in China.

Squawk7700
13th Nov 2016, 05:48
Well the guy that maintains the fleet at West Sale and is caretaker for the U.K. fellow's property on the airfield, told me two weeks ago that they had bought it and would have it there shorty... that's pretty much first hand info as far as I was concerned at the time.

We had an in depth conversation about it and I asked why it was being sold and he said the current owner bought it and it wasn't really suitable for what they wanted it for.

allthecoolnamesarego
13th Nov 2016, 09:02
I stand corrected. Thanks

Squawk7700
13th Nov 2016, 09:33
Well you never know, the chap from the U.K. could be Chinese and may have further plans for it !

UnderneathTheRadar
13th Nov 2016, 09:38
A Chinese museum has bought quite a lot of the jet warbirds in Oz - a couple of Provosts, the gnat among other things - in many cases taking airworthy planes for static display.

Good money offered - all allegedly for an aviation museum somewhere in China