PDA

View Full Version : How are rotary hours viewed by airlines?

buttline
5th Jul 2002, 07:15
Just about to finish my CPL(H). I'm considering doing the fATPL(A) as well to have more irons in the fire. (It's actually cheaper to get a helicopter IR by going through IR(A) than it is to do the IR(H) directly. 1 hour in a twin helicopter costs about 1000 pounds!)

I can count up to 100hrs of my helicopter P1 time towards the CPL(A) 150 requirement. (Don't think it's the same the other way around).

Anyway - I'm still a little on the fence about whether to plow on with more helicopter time up to the 100 P1 (which will give me a total of about 300 rotary - lots of dual in heli training) or whether to start down the FW road now.

Can anyone give me any feedback on how my rotary hours would be viewed if I was looking for an airline position but with 300 helicopter hours and 100 fixed wing hours and CPL/IRs in both? Is it just total time that matters or is the split important?

Thanks

no sponsor
5th Jul 2002, 09:03
I know of rotary people who have swapped to the airlines (for more money), but these guys have 1500hrs plus on SAR and north sea work (which requires considerble flying skills, and is mostly IR for the duration)

I'm not sure if hours-building would count as much. Surely fixed wing is cheaper, but how would any prospective rotary opportunities consider you with your new approach?

buttline
5th Jul 2002, 15:10
no sponsor,

Useful comments thanks. The simple answer is that I don't know. I do know that a low hours pilot without an IR(H) doesn't have much hope in the North Sea right now (which is what I'd really like to do).

Also, given that from this point, the direct route to an IR(H) and the route via an fATPL(A) are about the same cost, it seems logical to get the most for your buck.

Not sure I have a 'new' approach yet as such - just putting out feelers and trying to find my way through the low hours problems like many...

IRRenewal
6th Jul 2002, 07:54
Buttline,

Have a look at the table on this page: Factored Hours (http://www.easyjet.com/en/jobs/pilotrecruitment_ourcurrentrequirments.html).

It will show you how one particular airline looks at RW hours. I have no idea whether this is the industry standard, but if it is it might be better to do some FW hours for the money.

Regards

sausageman
6th Jul 2002, 08:20
Buttline,

If you want to be a helicopter pilot and nothing else, I'd suggest staying with the rotary side, as fixed wing time means zip with most Heli operator.

As far as the airlines go, all experience will be considered. The pure stick and rudder element may not translate between helos and heavy jet, but the time in the commercial arena will count.

I know of guys being employed with major airlines with military experience, helicopter experience or no experience at all (cadets). But an understanding of the industry and a good commercial attitude (developed in any area of aviation) will help you at an interview level.

As for bang for your buck, if you can pick up fixed wing quals for no extra $, and you envisage flying both, why the hell not?
I fly both helos and fixed wings for different reasons but manage to get my rocks off on both.

Good luck.

Sausageman