PDA

View Full Version : A380 landings with a bang

Alderney
10th Nov 2016, 17:20
Has anybody else experienced very hard A380 landings down the back in cattle class? I've flown in A380s five times now (Emirates and Thai), and invariably get stuck in a seat around row 60 towards the back of the lower deck. Without exception the landing is a bone-shattering experience. The arrival at LHR two days ago was a collossal wallop followed by the tinkle of things falling down in the galley behind me.
I've spoken to other people who are lucky enough to fly upstairs and they never feel (or hear) anything, so I'm guessing that it's something to do with sitting directly above all those mainwheels. I expect it now (it follows the mighty thwack on finals after the gear comes down - presumably locks going in or something) and am never disappointed!
You might suggest that I sit somewhere else, but I always seem to pick full flights with no choice.
Any suggestions as to what's going on and why? I'm fed up with having my teeth knocked out.

SLFAussie
10th Nov 2016, 21:28
I've flown upstairs and downstairs on the A380 (MEL / LAX / DXB / LHR). Last time was downstairs in about row 72 and I noticed the thwack as we hit the runway. I thought it must have been an aberration, but maybe not. The previous times I'd been upstairs and never noticed it.

Load Toad
11th Nov 2016, 04:37
Never, I love travelling in the 380 as I find it a very smooth ride, also on take off & landing - but I always try to get seats at the front of Y class (for any flight i'm on).

PAXboy
11th Nov 2016, 15:25
Have only done four sectors in these (SQ) and was in PE each time - so towards the leading edge of the wing on the lower deck. Landing was no different to 744 or others.

Mark in CA
14th Nov 2016, 11:50
I've touched down in an A380 six or eight times, always in economy, though not all the way back near the tail, and they've all been among the smoothest landings I've experienced over the years.

Mr Mac
14th Nov 2016, 12:02
All
Please see thread from Middle East section re EK Deputy Chief Pilot A380 and a hard landing. Perhaps you had the misfortune to be on one of his flights ! All my EK 380 flights I have to say have been smooth, as have my SQ & LH ones so can not comment on hard landings as have yet to experience one this A/C.
Regards
Mr Mac

DCP-A380 very hard landing!

http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/boohoo.gif :ugh:
heard this rumor that the Local DCP-A380 landed the big Lady so excellently that the subsequent Crew couldn't raise the LG, Fuel jettisoned and returned.

Nothing was in the Techlog since he felt it was a "smooth touchdown". ☠️ For weeks now, ever since it came out the Tosser(M.al-Sw.) who loves to hand out Warnings is on sickleave.

Looks like it might have been his last smooth landing, in EK.
Any confirmations on that?

Wycombe
15th Nov 2016, 21:26
Paxed on (EK) 380's for the first time a few weeks ago. Downstairs in economy just behind the wing on both sectors.

The aircraft is extremely quiet from there on take off, but there was a lot of vibration (I assume from the spinning wheels as they are retracted) until the gear was up, and quite a sudden "crack" of a noise, which I think was from one of the gear doors closing.

As the a/c was cleaned-up, the hydraulics driving the flaps were pretty loud also (like on the Airbus narrowbodies, but louder) but this might be accentuated as the background noise is otherwise so low.

The landing at DXB while not "bone-shattering" was definitely "firm" and there was a quiet a big accompanying noise (not quiet a bang, but quite loud).

Overall though, I was impressed with the space 10-across. You can tell it's a little bit wider than a 74' down there.

The IFE was also the best I've experienced, everything worked including the wifi and live TV. The food wasn't too bad either :-)

PAXboy
15th Nov 2016, 22:26
Could these slightly more purposeful landings be due to a change of technique required after the smashed landing of the EK 777?

spiney
18th Nov 2016, 06:06
I've travelled the A380 on a few dozen flights now; Emirates, Etihad, Qantas and Malaysian. Yes heavy bangs on landing seem more common than on other types. I tend to favour sitting towards the rear of the cabin (that's where the empty seats are going to be) and landing is definately louder there than elsewhere with the occasional extremely jarring arrival.... The A380 also seems to be a rougher ride in turbulence than say the 777 (subjective view I agree)... plenty bumpy enough to get close to spilling your G&T - but not quite.

On the plus side the A380 is definately quieter than other wide bodies, with the possible exception of that stupid bar at the rear in Emirates Business Class where the background noise seems well above that required for quiet conversation.

Mike6567
18th Nov 2016, 07:49
Not the A380 but recently my wife flew on a 787 for the first time and had what she described as the worst landing she had ever experienced in 50 years of occasional passenger flying.
I was surprised to hear this. Has anyone else had this on a 787?
Mike

Mr Mac
18th Nov 2016, 12:09
Spiney
Don't knock the bar, it beats the hell out of having to stretch limbs in the galley, where you often feel in the way of crew, as you do on any other airline in Business Class.
As for turbulence I find 380 does well, and as most of my 380 flying is in tropical zones with plenty of CB activity I get plenty of practice. 777 is OK ie better than 330 and 787 in my opinion but not really very different to any other A/C around as compared to 380.

Cheers
Mr Mac

ExXB
19th Nov 2016, 09:37
Perhaps it was this flight?

Probe after Emirates flight landing gear fails (http://7days.ae/probe-emirates-flight-landing-gear-fails/97007)