PDA

View Full Version : Travel insurance that allows private flying

SkippyX
6th Mar 2001, 18:18
I am off to California at Easter to do some flying and need to get travel insurance. I did use a company a couple of years ago that 'adjusted' their policy to cover private flying but I have forgotten their name. If anyone has a tel no I would be most grateful for any info.

cheers

DeltaTango
6th Mar 2001, 19:12
I believe that the usual travel insurance has a "sports" section which says something about flying.
Ask your travel agent.

DT

G-SPOT is Back
6th Mar 2001, 19:24
Very important to get cover especially when you are flying out there. Did a bit of time out in Florida 2 yrs ago.

Thomas cook quoted me 105 quid

Faben Insurance sorted it all out by fone and fax for about £70 I recall. Very good service no drama done at short notice as well, number in the back of Pilot Magazine under aircraft insurance

Jetgate
6th Mar 2001, 22:21
I got a standard policy from 'Backpackers' which covers GA and Flight Training in Canada for 1 year for £170. This was in 1999 so don't know what the rates are these days but at the time these guys were the best. The Underwriter even added a statement which covered me for Twins.

And where did I get the number from? The tube!

------------------
There are Old Pilots and Bold Pilots, but no Old Bold Pilots.

WangEye
6th Mar 2001, 23:34
Also try www.downunderinsurance.co.uk (http://www.downunderinsurance.co.uk)

They were brilliant for SonofWangEye - 9 months in USA "working as a pilot" i.e.light a/c freight on East Coast. Can't remember cost but beat everyone else by miles. Nice bunch of helpful people, too.

WE

WangEye
6th Mar 2001, 23:39
Just tried link myself but couldn't get beyond homepage - try phoning 0800 393908 or 020 7 402 9211.

WE

EX FTE
7th Mar 2001, 00:07
CAUTION CAUTION

Be very careful about what the policy says. A lot of them say that your are covered for flying in light aircraft. Be specific and make sure they cover you for piloting light aircraft! I came up against that problem with American Express and others.

I eventually found a place listed in the saturday Daily Telegraph, I think they are advertise as "World Wide Travel Insurance". Its a yellow advert......

Anyway, contact Jean Bonner-Williams at
[email protected]
the Website is www.worldwideinsure.com (http://www.worldwideinsure.com)
Their mail address is
Voyager Insurance Services Ltd,
13-21 High Street,
Guildford, Surrey GU1 3DG

For 17 days cover in December of last year I paid the standard £28.50 for normal insurance plus an additional £16.50 to specifically cover piloting light aircraft. They class it as a Class 1 hazardous sport (up there with bungee jumping) but make no big deal about it. they will probably ask for a rough idea of how many hours in what type etc but nothing limiting appeared on my policy.

They will do the whole thing by email and credit card. I sorted mine out at 2 days notice. Fortunately I had no claims so I cant speak of their claims service.

Hope this helps!

Noggin
7th Mar 2001, 00:17
Try:
Traffords Ltd
153 Hatfield Road
St Albans
Herts
AL1 4LD
01727 833241

Last time it cost me £100 for full holiday Insurance with Flying for me and the wife. It was a roughly 60/40 split, passengers are cheaper even in the same plane.