View Full Version : National Commercial Bank - Jeddah

Azzurri
5th Jul 2002, 02:38
Anybody know anything about the FLight Department of this bank in Saudi Arabia? Aware of their fleet, but would like an insider's perspective...
Grazie

newswatcher
9th Jul 2002, 14:49
Is it the bank's fleet, or is it run for the benefit of the Mahfouz family? Currently not flavour of the month with the Saudi authorities. Khalid bin Mahfouz was kicked out of the NCB in 1999, when the Saudi govt, AKA the Royal Family, bought out his half share for a mere 1 billion USD. Then placed him under "house arrest" in a hospital, whilst they looked for 2 billion USD misplaced assets from the bank, some of which at least is alleged to have funded some of Bin Laden's activities. One of his sisters is believed to have married Osama Bin Laden. Whilst he may have gone, two of his sons are still on the board of directors, together with other members of the Mahfouz family.

However, I am also awaiting an email response from someone who works there. Will let you know.

mutt
10th Jul 2002, 11:13
Newswatcher,

Ireland "Phoenix" magazine had an interesting expose on Khalid BM a couple of months ago. He may be out of favor, but MidEast Jet are still operating with a pretty impressive fleet of BBJ's, 757/767 and a 777.

Mutt.

newswatcher
10th Jul 2002, 12:24
Mutt,

This is a recent fleet history

http://aerotransport.free.fr/index.html?Airlines/a106317

and here is a picture from Mark Ijsseldijk's Airdata site in NZ

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~airdata/images/nz-new/0200335.jpg

There is much on the Internet, usually in "conspiracy" sites, including allegations that Khalid Mahfouz was the real owner of Skyway Aircraft Leasing, operated by a guy called James Bath, and possibly an extension of "Air America" at a time when George Bush senior was head of the CIA. The fleet history above mentions this.

Several allegations of Khalid being involved with the Oliver North Iran Contra money laundering operation.

Mahfouz was also an investor in Harken Energy, a US-controlled oil corporation which won a contract in Kuwait soon after the end of the Gulf War. George W Bush was a director in the company before he stood for the presidency.

It is believed that Harken Energy won the contract because of contacts between Kuwait and the president's father, George Bush senior, who led the Gulf War offensive.

Khalid Mahfouz and several members of his family received 11 Irish passports at a lunch in Dublin in December 1990, possibly from Haughey himself. Former justice minister Ray Burke assisted with the processing of the passport applications, ignoring established procedures.

The sheikh bought a house in Meath in order to fulfil residence requirements, but never stayed or lived there, according to locals.

Mahfouz promised investments of £20 million in Ireland, although it remains unclear where half this amount was placed.

mutt
11th Jul 2002, 03:54
Newswatcher,

You never cease to amaze me :):) Thanks for the www address and the information above.

Cheers

Mutt.

withoutfailure
11th Jul 2002, 14:37
Mutt,

Can I email you...got a questin for you.

Thanks in advance.

WF

mutt
11th Jul 2002, 15:27
Sure.....

[email protected].

crazy_max
12th Jul 2002, 09:27
HUMMM...
N767KS has been sold. The last time I saw it was parked in KIAH on the first week of May 2002.
In Jeddah you can still see the B757, B727, and 2 BBJ's(N737CC & N737QQ).
It seems like a good place to work, but I have no clue who is in charge of the flight ops.
Any clues?

Be Good...

newswatcher
12th Jul 2002, 13:06
crazy_max,

You may well be right. I note from fleet list, it is shown as "withdrawn from use" prior to VIP outfitting. Is it sold, or on long term charter? Notes say it is being operated for Sheikh Khaled bin Sultan.

In Bill Harms 767 census for June 2002, it is still shown against Mid East Jet, with a bracket showing Wells Fargo Bank Northwest.