PDA

View Full Version : What Licenses do you need to make a profit with Flights

joseph_c
7th Nov 2016, 19:20
Hello All,

I read somewhere you need more than a PPL to make money on flights so what licenses do you need?

DaveReidUK
8th Nov 2016, 15:29
I read somewhere you need more than a PPL to make money on flights so what licenses do you need?

The minimum you need is Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL). The clue is in the name.

How to become a commercial pilot (https://www.caa.co.uk/Blog-Posts/How-to-become-a-commercial-pilot/)

Johnny F@rt Pants
8th Nov 2016, 20:51
As Dave has said, to be financially rewarded for flying you must possess a Commercial Pilots Licence. With your PPL you cannot be paid for flying, even if you give somebody a lift somewhere, in that instance you can share costs but cannot be financially rewarded for your "service".

thing
8th Nov 2016, 21:30
It doesn't have to be an equal share though, just a contribution towards the costs. So you could fly a couple of mates to Inverness from Lands End and pay a pound towards it and your mates pick up the rest. Not sure I have any mates who would be that generous :) but technically you would be within the restrictions of a PPL to do that.

NRU74
9th Nov 2016, 17:51
What you could do (dons tin hat) is decide on a project such as retracing a famous solo aviator's route, get sponsorship from a financial company and an aeroplane manufacturer, get TV interested and off you go - solo of course!
In fact there's a lady on the Private Flying thread who's done just that (allegedly).

Intruder
9th Nov 2016, 20:45
It doesn't have to be an equal share though, just a contribution towards the costs. So you could fly a couple of mates to Inverness from Lands End and pay a pound towards it and your mates pick up the rest.
I don't know about the CAA, but in the US the FAA STRICTLY enforces cost-sharing, which means essentially equal shares, or less reimbursement.

thing
9th Nov 2016, 21:24
You just have to make a 'contribution' in CAA land. Of course in practice you share equally, but you don't have to.

noflynomore
11th Nov 2016, 16:04
NRU. That, as you well know, has been exhaustively answered on the thread to which you refer.

You will not find a different answer by asking the question on a different thread.