PDA

View Full Version : Off site airport parking

crewmeal
7th Nov 2016, 11:23
I was appalled at reading the story regarding off site parking at MAN. I'm in two minds here. If it were me I would check the insurance policy of the company, also are car park personal insured to drive customers cars?

if it were me I would be checking these details as there seem to be so many rackets operating whilst the customers are away.

Anyone with good or bad experiences?

Cheshire holidaymaker's car wrecked by meet and greet staff | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3911312/Holidaymaker-s-car-wrecked-meet-greet-parking-firm-Owner-returns-trip-vehicle-written-off.html)

DaveReidUK
7th Nov 2016, 11:38
also are car park personal insured to drive customers cars?

If it's a "meet and greet" service like the ones featured in the DM article then they are obviously going to need to drive customers cars between their location and the airport.

racedo
7th Nov 2016, 14:05
Really got little sympathy here.

People are going with "The cheapest" without doing any research.

They save £10 by putting their £10,000 car into the hands of a company that has an internet website.

Now have used Offsite parking before BUT it means I go there and drop the car off, on one occasion I saw the site, turned round and exited.

On another when I went they operated a drive to barrier, it opens, then closes and then next barrier opens............... a pain but least you know they had security checks and that was for in and out.

I have little sympathy for stupid people.

HeartyMeatballs
7th Nov 2016, 14:10
I'm sure there was a story last year of a muddy field being used to store cars from a southern airport.

I'd research and read reviews before I commit. Please don't assume all off car parking is like this. There are some very good ones at much better value than the airport.

racedo
7th Nov 2016, 15:48
There are some very good ones at much better value than the airport.

There are some excellent ones who you never need to worry but lots of shysters.

PAXboy
7th Nov 2016, 15:54
Agree with above. But, if you are going for one week, I find it of little benefit for the extra time of transferring to/from the terminal. For two weeks, then it's worth it. I've never used a meet and greet.

vctenderness
7th Nov 2016, 16:04
I must say I have used airport parking services at LHR, LGW & STN for more years than I can remember and never had a problem.

I always use well known companies, APH, Purple etc. who are trustworthy.

I have even used off site parking in ALC and not suffered any problems.

LGS6753
7th Nov 2016, 17:09
I'm sure there was a story last year of a muddy field being used to store cars from a southern airport.

Some on-airport car parks are like that....

LTNman
7th Nov 2016, 17:50
There is just one independent meet and greet company at Luton who seem to be called many different names. They operate out of the short term car park and are much busier than the official airport run meet and greet. I just find it amazing that people just hand their car keys over to young boy racers who drive away in their cars to an unknown destination.

Ant6747
7th Nov 2016, 18:13
Have used the official Meet & Greet at MAN many times and always found it to be an excellent service. Especially as you drop your car near the terminal and there is no bus journey involved. Not sure where they park the cars mind.

crewmeal
7th Nov 2016, 18:34
Not sure where they park the cars mind.

All the more reason to check your mileage and their insurance.

racedo
7th Nov 2016, 21:50
All the more reason to check your mileage and their insurance.

and your insurance as you just handed over the keys

Trent dayne
8th Nov 2016, 18:37
Just a thought. Public transport.

PAXboy
9th Nov 2016, 18:20
Well, public transport is all well and good but, from North London, LTN is a taxi then a coach. OR tube and a coach OR tube and train and a coach OR two busses and a coach. Hefting the cases in to and out of multiple transports soon takes the gloss of the holiday - especially when you arrive home late at night or early morning ... similar is required for LHR, LGW or STN.

N707ZS
10th Nov 2016, 12:43
Few months back cars from Gatwick were parked out in some farm field! An investigator did a set up in one of the papers.

rowly6339
10th Nov 2016, 18:27
Again why would anyone just turn up at an airport and hand their car keys to someone they don't even know???? I have always used jetparks, it isn't that far from the terminal and I get to park the car safely myself and keep the keys so I know that there wont be extra millage on it when I get back. If you are going to use meet and greet then common sense says don't go with the cheapest and do you homework before booking. It really isn't that hard but then morons will keep handing over keys to cars worth thousands of pounds and just expecting everything to be alright. The devil is in the detail so do your homework.