PDA

View Full Version : Taxy a GA aircraft from Right Seat

Guptar
6th Nov 2016, 21:08
I was asked a question today regarding the legality of taxiing a GA aircraft, eg Warrior/Cessna Solo from the right hand seat. Assumption is that the aircraft has full dual controls including brakes.

There is a reg that says you must fly the aircraft from the seat that has full controls if only one seat has them,but I couldn't find any reg that says if both seats have full controls, you must taxi/fly from the left hand seat.

Thoughts anyone?

C82R
6th Nov 2016, 21:25
Guptar

So long as both seats have access to full controls and the aircraft manufacturer does not stipulate which seat the aircraft must be taxyed or flown from, you can taxy or fly the aircraft from either seat.

C82R

Piltdown Man
6th Nov 2016, 21:31
And if you think this one through a little more you will remember that your flying instructor normally sits in the right hand seat. On your first few lessons your instructor may well have taxied your aircraft from this seat.

PM

Squawk7700
7th Nov 2016, 04:37
It's not actually common sense, it's listed clearly in the Pilot Operating Handbook specifically for each aircraft type.

One aircraft that I know of specifically says left seat solo only because the right seat pax can't reach the safety hammer which is located behind the right seat.

If you are going to try it the first time, it may be a good idea to have an instructor in the left seat or another pilot that you trust.

zac21
7th Nov 2016, 05:59
From experience on the C208 series after many years teaching on the same type:
Trying to park in a confined area with LHS person not personaly happy parking himself as he was unsure of wingspan and general handling, so I attempted to show him of the excellent turning circle the C208 has,,,, I was wrong,,, The RHS pedals are connected to the LHS by connecting linkage, all of which has accumulated 'slop' making it difficult to steer beyond 15 deg,,, mainly due to the lack of lubrication to the main leg which made it difficult to steer beyond the 15 deg. With some momentum needed during this procedure it was a very close call.
A trap for the unwary as engineering said it should only be flown from the LHS (Bollox).
Almost hit a water stand as a result which would have been very embarrassing to say the least. We all learn from these mistakes, fortunately with a good outcome.
Zac.

cogwheel
7th Nov 2016, 06:25
CT4 in RAAF service - the instructors flew solo from the RHS.
Not sure about in civil use? Anyone from Tamworth care to comment