PDA

View Full Version : Background check question

Flyer725
6th Nov 2016, 00:19
I hold a CPL single engine land. I have been recently charged with a misdemeanor for petty theft. After speaking with lawyers, the case will most likely be dismissed because it's my first and only offense as long as it isn't repeated for 6 months. It will be dismissed and sealed in NY which means I will not hold any criminal or misdemeanor convictions. No excuse for the behavior. It was poor judgement due due financial issues. I was wondering if this will really prevent from working with the major airlines in the future. I understand they look for clean records and I also intend to be honest about this incident on interviews. Hope you guys can shed some light on this. Much appreciated.

Sky-Plod
9th Nov 2016, 19:05
I can only speak for the UK however I'm guessing from some of the phrases you have used you may be referring to the USA legal system?

If not, then in the UK any offences of dishonesty are usually a bar to obtaining an airside security pass. Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders act, certain offences become "spent" after a certain period of time, which is based on the charge and the sentence given. Once the offence becomes "spent" then it is no longer discloseable under basic vetting and unless specifically asked if you have any spent convictions, then you are not obliged to disclose it.

stiglet
27th Nov 2016, 10:26
I think the words are not clear regarding your statements or it may be different in the UK and US systems.

My understanding in the UK is if any offence is 'dismissed' it means you were not 'found' after a trial or 'admitted to' being guilty and therefore you can forget it as it shouldn't appear on any records. If however you admit to the offence or are found guilty you may be given a 'conditional discharge' which would not carry any further penalty if you don't comit a further offence in a given time eg 6 months. Any conditional discharge will remain on record and therefore will show up on a criminal record check.

noflynomore
27th Nov 2016, 14:13
How does one "loose" paperwork? Fire it from a catapult or something? Or open the box on a hilltop and let the wind blow it away?
Seems a strange thing to do with something you didn't want to lose...