PDA

View Full Version : I'm the first to admit I don't invest time learning Windows, but . . .

Loose rivets
4th Nov 2016, 21:55
This nifty thing in W10 was it seems, available in W7.:ugh:

For years I'd created new File Explorer shortcuts and then used Properties to edit the point at which it opened. I even created an unused folder at the end of each logical drive and called it X. This way, the tree would open from the bottom.

Fine, very handy. Then I find W10 lets me drop a target onto the Taskbar Explorer Icon and to go to it, right click for Recent and Pinned. Even finer.

Then I find it it's been available in W7 for years and I went out and found a wall to smack my head against.

However, I'm astonished how many folk spend ages getting to oft-used files the laborious way.

But, I found it didn't seem to work with my S6 phone. That sucks as it's a six or seven process PITA.

FlightDetent
4th Nov 2016, 23:17
a) Press the WIN key (star menu opens).
b) start typing the name of a folder / file you're after; fragments are good enough, not necessarily from the beginning
c) aim mouse or slew with keys to the target, open with ENTER on the keyboard..

Voila (was there on 7s too)

Capn Bloggs
13th Nov 2016, 07:54
But, I found it didn't seem to work with my S6 phone. That sucks as it's a six or seven process PITA.
My Files, long-press on filename (or a folder), tap the three dots: choose "Add shortcut to home". Done, just like Windows! :ok:

Loose rivets
13th Nov 2016, 11:24
Ah, I didn't make it clear I meant find the phone in Windows File Explorer.

At this time I have to

1/Open Explorer

2/go to Samsung S6

3/Open 'Phone'

4/Open DCIM

5/Open Camera

And only then can I see my jpg files.

Even with the new way I've found, it still falls short of simply touching ONE point on the Taskbar and being right on target.

Edit the Properties of an Explorer Shortcut. You MUST use a new shortcut for each high speed link.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe F:\0 P73\Working,/e Takes me right to the working folder with one touch.

The smilies are of course, colons.

Having several File Explorer Icons does take up a chunk of task bar, but it is SO fast. One could I suppose use the Desktop Icons. :yuk:

I like a picture on there. Nothing to disturb my mind. :bored: And also, one has to Pick an Icon and then DOUBLE click on it. OMGoodness, that's three clicks!