PDA

View Full Version : AEW&C OPERATIONAL TACTICS, ANYONE ?

C4ISR
3rd Nov 2016, 13:16
Hello all !

I have seen and read some books about AEW&C aircraft (the most recent being "Beyond the Horizon-The History of AEW&C Aircraft"), but nothing or little is said about operational tactics. All I can suppose regarding this is that an AEW&C usually flies far from the frontline. But does exist something more ?

Thanks in advance :O:O:O

"C4ISR"

Wensleydale
3rd Nov 2016, 16:08
C4ISR: Current operational tactics used by military aircraft are perhaps a little too classified for this forum (or indeed anywhere in open source). Sorry.

Fonsini
3rd Nov 2016, 16:20
I'm pretty sure they are are still in range of your S-400s.

MACH2NUMBER
3rd Nov 2016, 16:54
Must be good fishing in Brazil.

MPN11
3rd Nov 2016, 20:35
The latest AWACS has Stealth technology, and thus operates much closer to the FEBA than earlier versions. The new radar system avoids the obvious rotating scanner that shows up on radar, allowing it to get much closer to the action. It looks like a KC-135.

juliet
3rd Nov 2016, 21:17
Did this person literally just ask what the operational tactics for AEW aircraft are? Is there somewhere to go where I can hide from people this stupid?

Bigbux
3rd Nov 2016, 21:31
The days of phishing in broken English are gone......:suspect:

ValMORNA
3rd Nov 2016, 21:33
It can fly underwater and employ its Upward-Facing Radar to locate enemy shipping, including submarines, which it can then destroy using Multi-Pulse High-intensity Laser/Taser Metal-Melting Beams. Be very careful if you are out swimming - or fishing!

Pontius Navigator
3rd Nov 2016, 22:16
Come on guys, cut him some slack. The concept of ops is hardly secret.

Get AIRBORNE detect the enemy EARLY give WARNING and CONTROL something before something dicks you.

Simples. :)

air pig
3rd Nov 2016, 22:49
PN add in control the battle and kill your enemy.

RAFEngO74to09
3rd Nov 2016, 23:05
The UK's state of the art machine. Not the lovely radar absorbing paint scheme and the ability to alter it's RCS by automatic wing fold sequencing in flight - using the excess power from it's huge Double Mamba power plant as a triumph of pulling power over aerodynamics to give exceptional manoeuver performance ! Note also the 2 x pylon mounted disguised Genie nuclear AAMs (dummy tail and nose cones that jettison before launch) which come in handy when threatened by high performance anti-HVAA aircraft - just EMP their weapon systems and bravely run away in your still operating "old-school" flying machine.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Fairey_Gannet_AEW3,_UK_-_Navy_AN1952247.jpg

C4ISR
4th Nov 2016, 00:20
Did this person literally just ask what the operational tactics for AEW aircraft are? Is there somewhere to go where I can hide from people this stupid?
Juliet this is what I was trying to talk about. Does it look "stupid" to you ?

http://2.bp.********.com/_OKGOogZqRA4/TMVwYHdmThI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/gNCRAOad5c0/s640/aewc.jpg

Davef68
4th Nov 2016, 00:23
Fly round in an elongated circle making cups of tea

Lonewolf_50
4th Nov 2016, 00:27
The UK's state of the art machine.
I may be one of the few on my side of the pond who knows, by looking at that picture and doing no search, that it is a Gannet ... and I'd like to remind folks of OPSEC, Valmorna. :cool:

TEEEJ
4th Nov 2016, 00:52
According to Sputnik it is pointless operating the likes of AWACS. :rolleyes:

Russia Just Got the Tools to 'Blind' Nosey NATO Reconnaissance Planes in Syria

https://sputniknews.com/military/201611031047046141-russian-tools-against-nato-AWACS-planes/

Avtur
4th Nov 2016, 01:25
OP: If you are referring to 8/23 Sqn, RAF then their tactics manual was written around attending exercises, airshows, and utilizing Samsonites. The word Operational never really featured much when operating the E3-D.

Incoming......

C4ISR
4th Nov 2016, 03:28
OP: If you are referring to 8/23 Sqn, RAF then their tactics manual was written around attending exercises, airshows, and utilizing Samsonites. The word Operational never really featured much when operating the E3-D.

Incoming......
What you mean, Avtur ?

thunderbird7
4th Nov 2016, 08:14
Come, come; eating pasta and drinking red wine in Aviano in the 90s was a tough operational job and someone had to do it.

muppetofthenorth
4th Nov 2016, 08:18
Juliet this is what I was trying to talk about. Does it look "stupid" to you ?

http://2.bp.********.com/_OKGOogZqRA4/TMVwYHdmThI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/gNCRAOad5c0/s640/aewc.jpg

Given that it's a broken link, yes, it does look stupid.

Pontius Navigator
4th Nov 2016, 09:24
Thunderbird, and browsing wheelbarrows and BMW brochures

Four Types
4th Nov 2016, 10:00
The AWACS flies close to the enemy lines, once in position the Radar Dome is detached and flown into theatre by remote control (just like a drone). It remains there until the fuel demands it's return whereby it is flown back to the AWACS mother ship and then 'docked' back on board (a tricky process). This keeps the crew safe from harm. :O:O:O

India Four Two
4th Nov 2016, 10:10
Given that it's a broken link, yes, it does look stupid. muppet,

What's stupid is the censoring of this particular URL, when it is so easy to circumvent.

http://tinyurl.com/zwflxra

charliegolf
4th Nov 2016, 10:18
C4ISR- they don't know mate, I'd ask elsewhere if I were you.:ok:

CG

57mm
4th Nov 2016, 13:38
Read Clancy's "Debt of Honour" if you want some imaginative hypothetical AEW&C......

A_Van
4th Nov 2016, 13:56
C4ISR,

Your spanish-speaking cousins offer an AWACS tactical sim, even for Ipad :-)

http://www.escuadron69.net/awacs/data/awtsim_promo_eng.pdf

MPN11
4th Nov 2016, 18:10
I think we probably ought to let the OP off for the weekend ... whether it was a serious question or not, I think the assorted answers have sufficed.

Dead Horses should NEVER be flogged. ;)

Davef68
5th Nov 2016, 00:13
I'll probably be beadwindowed but I believe E-3D tactics involved going clockwise in circles if the navigator wanted to sleep on his chair or going anti-clockwise if he wanted to fall asleep on the desk.
Round the crew room according to todays news