PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair free hand baggage hold check in stopped

Caravaggio
1st Nov 2016, 23:10
Until recently at baggage drop Ryanair let passengers check in hand baggage into the hold for free, saving the passenger the hassle of taking a carry on bag through security. No loss at arrival baggage claim if you have checked a bag into the hold anyway.
Last week when we dropped our hold baggage we were told that Ryanair no longer allowed free check in of carry on Bags into the hold but would still take hand baggage from us at the gate and put them into the hold. Same policy today on our return flight.
Does anyone know why the policy change? Were Ryanair being charged for bags being handled through the hold baggage system perhaps?

S.o.S.
2nd Nov 2016, 04:13
Hi Caravaggio and welcome to the 'cabin'. :ok:

Watch for a reply here, or if no one knows, check the Ryanair forum under the group heading of Airlines, Airports & Routes. You will also find a very busy discussion forum for your local airport in that group. Do read the FAQ at the top of this page and stay around.

Alsacienne
2nd Nov 2016, 07:06
My recent experience is that only the first 90 cabin bags can be stowed in the overhead lockers and under the seat in front of you. That is pointed out in their T&Cs and that's often why folk start queuing well in advance in the 'Other (ie non Priority) Queue'. However, when a flight is full, gate staff pass through the queue and invite passengers to give up their hand baggage and put it into the hold free of charge. It then is loaded as the passenger boards and is reclaimed in the normal manner after immigration/border control at the arrival airport with the rest of the hold or checked baggage.

DaveReidUK
2nd Nov 2016, 07:27
However, when a flight is full, gate staff pass through the queue and invite passengers to give up their hand baggage and put it into the hold free of charge. It then is loaded as the passenger boards and is reclaimed in the normal manner after immigration/border control at the arrival airport with the rest of the hold or checked baggage.

Ditto for EZY.

Caravaggio
2nd Nov 2016, 10:49
That is what happens now, but previously when I went to baggage drop to deposit hold luggage the agent usually asked if I wanted to check in my cabin bag free of charge and it was tagged and sent with the hold baggage. The check in agent told me yesterday that Ryanair had stopped doing this, although of course they continue to take cabin bags from travellers at the gate whenever the 90 bag limit is reached.
I wondered why the change in policy has occurred? More hand baggage to be screened at security, creating longer queues.

Alsacienne
2nd Nov 2016, 17:48
Could it be that overweight/oversized 'hand baggage' detected at the gate carries a financial penalty which has to be paid before the baggage is allowed to fly with its owner?

ExXB
2nd Nov 2016, 17:57
Or they decided that continuing the service was no longer cost effective, or suited their needs, corporate goals or 3rd party contracts. Frankly I don't think they would care that stopping this would increase security queues. They don't pay any extra if their pax schlep their carry-on Not their problem. (And if they are the only ones doing this ...)

Teaboy24
2nd Nov 2016, 18:47
Just don't do what some people do and put your passport in bag after going through gate and hand over bag at aircraft. Causes headaches when you get to destination and your bag is going around on carousel which is after immigration desks. Seen it happen several times.

Have also witnessed some people after they have been told in queue to leave their bag at the steps, rip off the label on way to aircraft so they get to keep it with them. Always wondered if any reconciliation between tags issued and bags taken at the steps. Probably not.

Scinfaxi
3rd Nov 2016, 20:03
After every RYR flight we log number of Free Gate Bag tags issued at the gate against the number of Free Gate Bags loaded/tags recorded by Dispatcher/Load Controller. We also have to log if any bags are offloaded by crew and how many checked in PAX there were at check-in closure.
From our latest instructions, any more than 140 PAX booked/checked in then we need to start placing cabin bags in the hold as Free Gate Bags. (Or 130 PAX on flights to/from Morocco). A second cabin bag is guaranteed onboard for first 90 PAX.
So 165 PAX checked in then we need at least 25 Free Gate Bags. There's no weight effect anyway of Free Gate Bags, they just have an effect on the trim on RYR loadsheets. Anything between 18 and 58 Free Gate Bags in Hold 2 for example is a trim effect of +0.1

With regards to why they stopped accepting FGBs at check-in/airport belt system....it doesn't mention a reason for stopping in the latest memo.

750XL
3rd Nov 2016, 21:49
Free baggage at check-in was stopped as people were starting to fiddle the system.

Arrive to checkin, check in your hold luggage
Accept the offer of checking in your 1 allowed cabin bag
Nip back to your car/friend/family member hiding around the corner with your 2nd cabin bag, proceed through security, go to the gate and have your 2nd cabin bag tagged at the gate

By doing this, you're effectively getting 2 pieces of hand luggage on board instead of the allowance of only 1 :ok:

ExXB
4th Nov 2016, 10:15
Thank you for your informed replies. Helps us all understand a little more what goes on behind the scenes.

A virtual {beer} to you both!