PDA

View Full Version : LAX terminal shooting

neil armstrong
4th Jul 2002, 19:05
LAX is closed because of a shooting in the terminal at the EL AL ticket desk!!

YAHOO NEWS (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=1&cid=578&u=/nm/20020704/ts_nm/crime_shooting_dc_1)

Neil

Carnage Matey!
4th Jul 2002, 19:14
CNN reports two dead including the suspect who was shot by El Al security agents. Lone crank, or something more sinister? Shocking stuff.:(

AA SLF
4th Jul 2002, 19:17
Shooting was in the Tom Bradley terminal (International arr/dep). In the area of the El Al ticket counter, in the UNsecured ticket lobby where you go to get tickets/check-in/check bads. 8-10 shots reported. Shooter KILLED by "security" people (not ID'ed as of now as police/El Al security/Marshalls, etc.).

An "innocent" bystander (unidentified) was also killed. Approx three (3) other people also shot.

So - approx. five (5) people total were shot, two (2) of these five are dead. One of the dead is confirmed as the shooter.

Bradley Terminal is called #4. AA terminal is some distance away and is known as Terminal #3.

It is NOT being reported that there was a "connection" between the shooter and El Al, at this time.

More as it becomes available.

AA SLF
4th Jul 2002, 19:37
Now reporting that there were two (2) series of shots.

My speculation - first series were from the shooter, the second series from El Al "security" personel who were successful in "eliminating" the shooter. End of my speculation.

The dead bystander is reported as being killed by the shooter. Also reported that two (2) of the three (3) bystanders that have been shot are in serious condition.

LAX airport has extremely high "security", the highest of all the USA airports I have been in since Sept-11 of last year. And I have been in IAD (Wash-DC); LGA (New York City); ORD (Chicago) and BOS (Boston) during these past months.

Statement from El Al is to be available in approx thirty-five (35) minutes from now (1515 hrs. GMT??).

AA SLF
4th Jul 2002, 19:48
Now reporting that earlier report of three (3) bystanders shot is incorrect and now say that it was "only" the (2) people shot.

As if the shooting of ANY passenger is an "only" event. This is very bad, very bad for the "confidence" of the travelling public here in the USA. The intoxicated pilots at MIA; the mid-air collision in s'west Germany, and now, this incident at LAX.

The American flying public will be very concerned about ALL of these "recent" incidents so close togather in the "news"! And this will surely have some impact on the amount of travellers in the air. We (USA aviation) do NOT need this kind of thing at this time, when travel was just beginning to come back to pre-Sept/00 levels.

I must admit, I have never given a thought (up to now) about how secure I was, or not, in the "Lobby" area of an airline terminal. Now it looks like, I will have to be very "alert" from the instant I get on the airport property.

I remember the "Red Brigade, et al" shootings back in the '70s in Terminals, but this is only coming back to my mind now that this has come up. Very Bad!

Perf Init
4th Jul 2002, 19:58
CNN now reporting that there was "also" a stabbing during this incident.

Perf Init
4th Jul 2002, 20:00
AA SLF

AA is at terminal #3 "and" #5 @ LAX

Perf Init
4th Jul 2002, 20:05
CNN reports via KABC video link, one woman and two men down in the ticket counter area.

El Grifo
4th Jul 2002, 20:20
Shock Horror !!!!!!

In a Land where guns are as readily available as Hershey Bars,

Person "A" shoots Person "B". Person "A" is then shot by person "C"

Subsequently, International Airport is closed for 12 hours.

World Media enters feeding frenzy - Fuel is added to the fire !!!

Jeeeezus !!!! :confused:

Gyros'toppled
4th Jul 2002, 20:26
;)

Now now buddy............

Notso Fantastic
4th Jul 2002, 21:41
El Grifo, dare one ask what you made of:

'In a land where free ownership of firearms is tightly controlled,

'Man runs amok (much like John Frohnsdorff according to someone called pom) shooting many people in Marlborough'

'Man runs amok in Primary School in Scotland shooting many children under 10''

Firearms have a way of making themselves available to anyone who will pay enough. I don't think your point has any relevance.

Oilhead
4th Jul 2002, 21:53
LAX is not completely closed by a long chalk - UAL terminal is operating normally.

Loco Traveller
4th Jul 2002, 23:11
Terrible news!, but why is every-one (1) doing "all" this (brackets) and "numbers" in "quotation marks"? We know how to read a number in words!

Behave yourselves!