PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Aviation

EK77WNCL
1st Nov 2016, 13:05
Hi all,

I just thought I'd start up a thread on Iranian Aviation, I don't know if I'm the only one but I find it absolutely fascinating and I'm really looking forward to it's explosive growth in the future with new aircraft orders and routes springing up all over the place.

For example, growth on LHR-IKA was 126%, obviously this is because of british Airways entering the market, but still, impressive and I wonder if Iran Air is getting a cut of it

I wonder if Mahan will re-instate their Gatwick and Birmingham routes when new aircraft come online? Or whether they could use their 737MAX/A320neo's to open up secondary EU/Asian markets.

It's almost guaranteed that Iran is going to be a major player in the coming decades, especially if they open up the country more to tourism. I wouldn't be put off by the Islamic element of the country, I know I'm the exception but Iran is absolutely the number 1 country I want to visit ASAP

Una Due Tfc
1st Nov 2016, 13:48
Would visiting Iran would make entering the US a more painful experience? Fairly sure it's a question asked on the US immigration form. Would it make a person ineligible for ESTA?

rutankrd
1st Nov 2016, 14:10
Mahran as a named company remains subject to sanctions and embargo by the US State Department separately from the CIAD 2010 act.

They are considered a wing of the Iranian Military and in support of terrorism by US State agencies.

Specifically they have been implicated in directly providing airlift the the Republican Guard into both Syria and Northern Iraq and for transporting large arms cashes from/through Iran from Russia China and the DPRK to the Asad Regime in Damascus.

Suffice to say they can't legally get their hands on shiny new Airbus or Boeing aircraft for the foreseeable future.

They are certainly operating flights for Syrian Air at the moment using an A300 within the region.

As for restarting flights to the UK -the US are leaning on UK agencies at the moment to deny authority.

BTW they never started Gatwick but have flown to both Manchester and Birmingham in the past.

rutankrd
1st Nov 2016, 14:13
Would visiting Iran would make entering the US a more painful experience? Fairly sure it's a question asked on the US immigration form. Would it make a person ineligible for ESTA

Yes a recent visit to Iran with passport stamp excludes you from VISA free entry into the US.

It does NOT exclude you from applying for a full VISA through.

flying officer kite
1st Nov 2016, 21:54
Iran is one of the friendliest countries in the world, with thousands of years of history and culture, great hospitality, and amazing local food. It is a bit of a treasure trove for the enthusiasts with 727s, old A300s, AN-74s etc. flying every day.

The politics in Iran is certainly complex, and as mentioned before Mahan Air is still subject to various sanctions, but you can still easily fly them domestically. It's interesting that in spite of all the sanctions they have built up a pretty big fleet of A340s.

The US has changed their ESTA rules so a visit to Iran would-in theory mean you need a tourist visa for the States, but a second passport or dual nationality MAY get around that. I can't really find an answer for that. Anyway, if Trump gets in I don't think I'd want to return to the Land of the Free ;-)

asdf1234
1st Nov 2016, 22:35
I can confirm that after visiting Iran UK nationals are denied the privilege of visa free travel to the USA, however a quick visit to the embassy will get you a B1/B2 10 year visa without any problems whatsoever. The embassy staff don't care that you have been to Iran, they just have to comply with the new law passed on down by their law makers. Entry into the USA is no different; in fact B1/B2 visa holders seem to be dealt with quicker than ESTA holders.

crewmeal
2nd Nov 2016, 06:24
Iran is one of the friendliest countries in the world, with thousands of years of history and culture, great hospitality, and amazing local food.

I couldn't agree more, though my many visits were when the Shah was in power. There is a useful (non official) site to explain how to get visa. I think the price of it is very expensive and will detract tourism to some extent.

Iran Visa 2017 Application Form & Travel Information | UK (http://www.iranvisa.co.uk/)

EK77WNCL
2nd Nov 2016, 10:19
I think Iran is possibly the most misunderstood country on the planet today. People have this idea that it's a terrorist haven and wants to destroy the US. They just simply don't!

It has a population the size of Germany, a huge middle class with a desire to travel, and a younger generation that I could only hope for in the UK... From what I can gather they just have a simple desire to make things better, to get their country on the map and/or to make something of itself. Look at the West cost of the USA, there's a Persian in most skilled, high level, high paying jobs over there. Iran has one of the worst cases of brain drain in the world!

I hope things change for them, but I want to see it before it gets "Starbucks'd," but one day I'd love to see it turn into the next Dubai... After all, it was 40 years ago. It's a country desperately in need of going back in time

I look forward to the day I fly an Iran Air 748 or A380 from Heathrow runway 3 to Tehran...