PDA

View Full Version : 747 Nose load / unload question

stilton
31st Oct 2016, 03:49
Curious if there's any cargo handling facility in the world
that can accomodate direct load and offload from a 747
nose door into the cargo building without use of a high loader ?

A nose docking system so to speak, I read there is an 'automated
system' at three gates in King Khaled but not sure if this is what
I described.

Anyone have any information, better yet, pictures ?

CargoMatatu
31st Oct 2016, 09:19
Many, many moons ago when I was flying for Transamerica we had a contract with Saudia and we always used such a system with our B747-200F.

I think it was in Riyadh (but it could have been Dahran). We used to taxi up to the terminal then were towed the remaining distance where the nose was inside the terminal. Nose was opened and the floor of the cargo system then rose and extended to connect with the aircraft. ULDs then rolled out of the aircraft, direct into the cargo system.

Very impressive it was in the day.

Private jet
31st Oct 2016, 12:56
Did a quick search and found this online

Welcome To The Official Lufthansa Cargo Building 261 Tribute Site (http://trailsend-themurrays.com/lcag/index.htm)

16down2togo
31st Oct 2016, 15:18
That's about it, the LH terminal in JFK, the ones in Riad, although I've never
seen them in use and LH's Frankfurt Cargo Center where you had to taxi the
aircrafts center window post against a little ball supported on a string to have it
in the right position for the loading ramp to extend to your aircraft when the
nose was opened.
Funny enough D-ABYZ pictured in the JFK report docked in the building was a converted freighter without the nose door.

mustangsally
31st Oct 2016, 19:38
ORD O'Hare south cargo ramp had two bays for off/on loading via the nose built by LH. Google Map shows one is gone near the south control tower.

stilton
2nd Nov 2016, 04:27
Thanks for the information. That Lufthansa cargo building was the site of the infamous
'big heist' in 1978.

Almost $6 million was stolen in a robbery 'immortalized' in the movie 'Goodfellas'

parabellum
2nd Nov 2016, 22:27
The freight terminal at Kai Tak, HKG, had the facility you describe back in the seventies.

stilton
3rd Nov 2016, 04:25
Thanks for the replies, would be very interested to see a close up picture
of this system.

sidman
3rd Nov 2016, 16:47
RUH has a 2 or 3 bay nose docking cargo system. Last time I was their they were not working. They have something similar in JED but I don't think it works..

old freightdog
3rd Nov 2016, 18:39
I remember something, - I think it was Saudi or World- ( but may be wrong) along the lines of a Highloader installed in the nose of a 747, but that was many moons ago! Did/Does UPS at SDF not have some sort of facility that attached to narrowebodies (or was it FX at MEM, gosh I´m getting old now)

750XL
3rd Nov 2016, 19:31
I remember something, - I think it was Saudi or World- ( but may be wrong) along the lines of a Highloader installed in the nose of a 747, but that was many moons ago! Did/Does UPS at SDF not have some sort of facility that attached to narrowebodies (or was it FX at MEM, gosh I´m getting old now)
Correct, 742 built for Iraqi with a very interesting system installed in the aircraft.

Interesante foto-reportaje del proceso de Carga/Descarga de un 747 de IA / IAW Iraquí Airways. (http://www.foroaviones.com/foro/fotos-y-videos/20081-interesante-foto-reportaje-del-proceso-de-carga-descarga-de-747-de-ia-iaw-iraqui-airways.html)

Anilv
4th Nov 2016, 02:15
Back when there were only a handful of 747s in the world, there was a similar device which fitted into the lower deck holds. But you had to use a forklift to get it out.

Had a photo (paper one, not jpg) of it but haven't seen it in years..will try to look for it,

Anil

STN Ramp Rat
4th Nov 2016, 21:51
having loaded a few B747F's offloading one entirely through the nose would be a right pain in the rear. I remember the Kai Tak ones system and most of the pallets were offloaded via the rear door.

Amadis of Gaul
6th Nov 2016, 01:44
I imagine such a system would necessitate a tail stand as well?

old freightdog
6th Nov 2016, 16:33
Correct, 742 built for Iraqi with a very interesting system installed in the aircraft.

Interesante foto-reportaje del proceso de Carga/Descarga de un 747 de IA / IAW Iraquí Airways. (http://www.foroaviones.com/foro/fotos-y-videos/20081-interesante-foto-reportaje-del-proceso-de-carga-descarga-de-747-de-ia-iaw-iraqui-airways.html)
that was the one, thanks for sharing!

ray cosmic
7th Nov 2016, 18:23
Amazing!
How was it powered?

johan_jnb
8th Nov 2016, 14:18
The Air France warehouse at CDG has nose load docking, not used any longer (AF flies with 77X these days).

Amadis of Gaul
9th Nov 2016, 15:05
ray cosmic, I believe it was just electrohydraulic, AC motors moving hydraulic cylinders.