PDA

View Full Version : smart kit - dumbed down manual

rans6andrew
30th Oct 2016, 21:00
I just bought a H***x freeview recorder. The product seems to be very capable but the manual is so short of detail/ specifications/ limitations/ instructions as to be very frustrating. There is a simple sheet of setup instructions and the unit pretty well sets itself up. Good.

The problems I have are:

If you can't connect the unit to a broadband connection (router too far away from lounge to wire it easily) which features won't work?

It has two tuners and yet it says it can record two freeview channels while you're watching something else. I think that the something else might be just a previous recording you have made but it isn't clear to me.

The user manual makes mention of a mini on screen programme guide (just a couple of lines at the foot of the picture) but it isn't clear how it is invoked. I think it is part of the Search facility but I find that that doesn't work, probably due to the lack of broadband connection.

The unit claims that it can pause/rewind/replay live TV. It says that the pause can hold for up to two hours. This I can understand, it could just start to record live stuff when you hit the pause and then treats it like any other recording. I assume that it can carry on adding to the end of the recording while replaying the start of said recording.

It doesn't say how much real live TV it can replay on the instant. Perhaps it just constantly records whatever you are watching and keeps a two hour rolling buffer full? I don't think it tries to get previous content from the broadband connection as I don't think all of the channels are available online.

I have not been able to find a proper spec sheet for the unit. There are a number of online reviews, I have not found one that fills in the details that are not in the user guide.

There is a USB slot on the back of the unit. Nothing in the installation instructions or use guide explains what it can be used for. Can recordings be copied to a USB stick? Can a USB WiFi stick enable internet connection? Can stuff from a USB stick be played to the TV screen?

It looks like a bit of playing is needed.

Sevarg
30th Oct 2016, 21:10
Best go on line and down load the full manual. I have a freesat recorder and found my questions answered in the full manual. Re the net connection, try one of the over the mains range extenders if you want connection.

Groundgripper
30th Oct 2016, 22:49
I bought one of those a year ago and it has caused more annoyance, nay fury, in my house than anything else I can think of, except possibly the TV that we purchased at the same time:ugh:. I haven't yet found an on-line full manual for either of them, only an electronic version of the paper one provided with the machine, except by logging in to a rather dodgy-looking site with not very good english which makes me a bit suspicious.

I connect it to the internet using a mains socket type extender with ethernet cables and this works very well.

I firmly believe that the 'record two, watch one' refers to recording two while watching either one of the channels you are recording (which seems rather pointless) or one you have previously recorded - as it only has two tuners it can't cope with trying to process three channels simultaneously, a fact Senior Management cannot seem to comprehend. If you try recording two channels and the machine is set to view a different one it will tell you to change it or cancel one of one of the two recordings.:=

Still, the solid oak coffee table is getting an interesting dimpled pattern on its surface caused by the remote getting placed, shall we say firmly, on it for over a year. That's the new remote as the old one, which had survived for nearly twelve months of this treatment, gave up for some reason.:uhoh:

Luckily, they don't cost much on-line.:hmm:

GG

Democritus
30th Oct 2016, 23:40
You might find some help here: https://myhumax.org/forum/ . I have a Humax Freesat recorder and they sorted out the problems I had with it. They cover Freeview recorders as well.

Brian Abraham
31st Oct 2016, 03:48
The aerialBox T2200 FreeviewPlus says,Record 2 channels while watching another.

The T2200 comes with twin tuners which enable multiple recordings and playback without causing too much issues.

Due to the nature of frequencies and channel groups, during times where you are recording two channels on different channel groups will cause others to not be made available to watch, You can watch recorded programmes or use an APP at any time however.Which is in line with what Basil says.

TWT
31st Oct 2016, 05:24
Does it not have an RF loop-through connected to your TV which would allow you to record 2 programs on the unit and watch a third on the telly ?

tony draper
31st Oct 2016, 08:30
I bough a Humax recorder because it was the simplest to use, mine required no connection to the internet,connect aerial tune in freeview,click on guide select prog or programs you wish to record and bobs yer unc.:confused:

VP959
31st Oct 2016, 09:06
We've had the Freesat version of the Humax DVR for years. Dead easy to use (never yet needed to read the manual), works from WiFI with a simple plug in adapter (so no need for a wired ethernet connection to get streaming stuff, like iPlayer), records two channels plus plays back a recording at the same time, if needed.

The only two criticisms I have are:

The programme guide can be slow to update, making the remote seem sluggish when trying to scroll through it.

It adjusts the record times of programmes if they overun or start a fraction early, so if you have several programmes set to record you can sometimes get a conflict where a programme hasn't actually finished at, say, 21:00 on one channel, the other channel is being used for live viewing and another recording wants to start on another channel (that isn't then available) at dead on 21:00. when this happens it flashes up a recording conflict message and won't start to record the second programmed recording until you manually switch the viewed channel to that receiver channel.

The work-around we use is to never set recordings with the same finish and start times on different channels, but try to take advantage of the "+1" channels to record the same programme an hour later. Alternatively, we just stop watching live TV. Not a problem, as we always have dozens more programmes recorded than we will ever get time to watch, anyway.

Other than that it's a brilliant bit of kit, and if it were to pack up I'd buy another one, without question.

yellowtriumph
31st Oct 2016, 11:47
I agree with VP959, in general a good product line up and easy to use. Not sure of your model number but you can buy a wifi dongle to connect it to the internet.

Humax WiFi Dongle (http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/2t2r-wifi-dongle.html)

Here's another forum where you can get answers to your questions:

https://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview-youview.263/

vulcanised
31st Oct 2016, 12:36
I have had a Humax DVR for a number of years but would never buy another.

Among the many reasons why not - it fouls up the subtitles (which I need) on Film4 as they periodically go into fast forward mode. It doesn't instantly obey many commands, making it useless for editing or even freeze frame where you want it.

My analogue Sony equivalent is much better.

PDR1
31st Oct 2016, 13:32
I have a Humax FreeSAT receiver (single tuner, no internal recorder) which I find to be an excellent piece of kit, my only gripe being that it takes 30-40 seconds to boot when switched on. The following comments are based on my experience of this item (HB1000s) and other general experience with PVRs.

If you can't connect the unit to a broadband connection (router too far away from lounge to wire it easily) which features won't work?

The internet connection gives you access to the main channels' view-again services (BBC iPlayer, ITVPlayer, 4-OD etc) plus other things like netflix (in some cases), youtube and various web-TV services. It also in some cases activates the function that allows you to scrall back into the past and click on a programme you missed - the box then searches the catch-up tv services and schedules to find if it can either downl;oad a recording or notify you when it's next on.

If your box is t0oo far to wire directly they do make a wifi adapter (although it only works with certain types of secirity key), but you could also consider a cheap "Powerline" (ethernet over the mains cables) system.

It has two tuners and yet it says it can record two freeview channels while you're watching something else. I think that the something else might be just a previous recording you have made but it isn't clear to me.

Yes, that's essentially it, as others have explained.

The user manual makes mention of a mini on screen programme guide (just a couple of lines at the foot of the picture) but it isn't clear how it is invoked. I think it is part of the Search facility but I find that that doesn't work, probably due to the lack of broadband connection.

It could be, but it might be in the settings. These are accessed by proessing the "humax" button on the remote (usually just above the "i" button, with a sort of globe symbol on it).

The unit claims that it can pause/rewind/replay live TV. It says that the pause can hold for up to two hours. This I can understand, it could just start to record live stuff when you hit the pause and then treats it like any other recording. I assume that it can carry on adding to the end of the recording while replaying the start of said recording.

Yes, and it can be quite a good way of watching films. Pause it and do something else for half an hour or so, and then when yopu watch the film you can fast-forward through the advert breaks!

It doesn't say how much real live TV it can replay on the instant. Perhaps it just constantly records whatever you are watching and keeps a two hour rolling buffer full? I don't think it tries to get previous content from the broadband connection as I don't think all of the channels are available online.

When you select a channel it starts recording from that moment, so you can rewind back to that point or two hours (I think the actual buffer size can be chnged via the settings menu), whichever is the shorter. But if you change channels it deletes the buffer and starts again. So if you "channel surf" during advert breaks you lose the ability to rewind.

I have not been able to find a proper spec sheet for the unit. There are a number of online reviews, I have not found one that fills in the details that are not in the user guide.

There are some useful guides in the "help" function, accessed by pressing the Humax button.

There is a USB slot on the back of the unit. Nothing in the installation instructions or use guide explains what it can be used for. Can recordings be copied to a USB stick? Can a USB WiFi stick enable internet connection? Can stuff from a USB stick be played to the TV screen?

On my machine I have an external hard disk plugged into the USB port and this turns my Freesat Recveiver into a single-tuner Freesat PVR. On your machine you can probably also plug in another external Hard DIsk to increase storage capacity (you select which disk you're using in the setting menu). I suspect it will also play & coipy files that are on a memory stick or external hard disk which is plugged into these ports. You may not be cable to copy internally recorded files onto the external disk though, because these are often stored in a proprietary format which other devices can't play.

HTH,

PDR

racedo
31st Oct 2016, 13:39
Why not get one of the broadband through the house systems which uses the electricty cables in the house to route broadband to what ever socket you need.

rans6andrew
31st Oct 2016, 22:19
I have had a play with the unit while channel hopping last evening. It does pretty much as those of you who responded have described. This evening I didn't have the confidence to try to watch a 3rd channel whilst recording two others (Er Indoors wanted me to record them and I didn't want to screw up by failing to work my new toy). In the end we watched one of the channels set to record.

Regarding getting the internet signal to the unit, I have several sets of Powerline ethernet adaptors which have never been out of their boxes (a couple of quid from a junk sale) which I will deploy when I get the chance. I have heard some rumours about their tendancy to wreak havoc with amateur radio HF band operation and, as a Radio Amateur myself, I don't want to cause problems. I'll try them when I have time to check for spurious transmissions.

Thanks to all who have offered words of wisdom on here.

Rans6..............................

rans6andrew
22nd Nov 2016, 20:04
further shortcomings in the User Guide have come to light over the last few weeks.

It doesn't explain why some of the programmes displayed in the on screen programme guide are in bright white text, some are in grey text.

The User Guide mentions a "Miniguide" on screen programme guide which should allow you to watch the current programme on most of the screen while working through the guide in the screen footer. No suggestion of how this Miniguide is accessed, it doesn't seem to have a button on the controller or a menu option on the screen.

Anyone figured it out?

I would tell you the model number but that isn't on the front of the unit, on the remote controller, on the screen at any time or even on/in the User Guide. It might be a DTR T2000 if my memory serves, don't rely on it, I have a head full of snot and bunged up sinuses and I am not at my best this week.

ps, the help pages on the screen are as good as useless, it's not just the paper guide that is pants.

G-CPTN
22nd Nov 2016, 20:18
Greyed-out options are usually 'unavailable'.

Changing 'modes' might bring the grey options into play - or they may only apply to different specification model.

rans6andrew
22nd Nov 2016, 20:53
perhaps I didn't make it clear, it is programmes in the schedule that are bright white or dull grey text in the on screen display.

axefurabz
22nd Nov 2016, 21:31
Aren't those the naughty ones you have to pay extra for? Not that I would know. :E