PDA

View Full Version : Seeking help with dissertation

Cantthinkofausername
28th Oct 2016, 18:13
Hi everyone,

I'm a serving member of the RAF currently in the final stages of studying an Engineering degree via distance learning. I'm in the process of writing my final year project, the subject I have chosen relates to the design of the Tornado's inboard Flaps.

I was wondering if there are any current or former Tornado Pilots who would be willing to answer a couple of questions for me? (nothing sensitive or classified). It's just to fill in the gaps in a couple of areas regarding the general use of the high lift system so I have some numbers on which to base my calculations.

If anyone is willing, please let me know,

Thanks.

GalleyTeapot
29th Oct 2016, 14:49
If you are currently serving and in Norfolk you have a whole heap of folk to ask on your doorstep.

viz
29th Oct 2016, 21:10
Bit harsh... nothing wrong with seeking all ex Tornado guys - not all are still in Norfolk and using this forum to get opinions from all resources is a good idea in my opinion.

Good luck with your degree, hope you get what you are looking for :ok:

57mm
29th Oct 2016, 21:14
Flight Testing forum might be helpful.....

Timelord
29th Oct 2016, 21:30
I'm not sure what you mean by "inboard flaps" . The Tornado has flaps (trailing edge) and slats (leading edge), both full span on the moving part of the wing. It was built with Krueger Flaps which were on the leading edge of the fixed part of the wing but these were soon found to be more trouble than they were worth and were fixed in the up position never to be moved again. If it is those to which you refer you will have trouble finding anyone with experience of using them. Good luck anyway.

Onceapilot
30th Oct 2016, 08:56
Timelord
I recall that the Tornado Krueger flaps were designed to give a lower landing speed to meet the specification and performed as advertised!:D Yes, they were then deleted to save weight, etc. Pity that the simplified intakes never got done as well!:hmm: Cheers

OAP

Lima Juliet
30th Oct 2016, 10:29
The F3 had EW interferometer arrays in the wing roots and so Krueger flaps were never going to be fitted. The GR was, but as you say they were fixed.

Here is a piccy of Krueger flaps in action on a foreign Tornado PA200:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w166/taste_jones/Picture1-20.png

LJ

Cantthinkofausername
30th Oct 2016, 11:38
Thanks for the encouragement, I've had a response by email that should cover what I need.

Timelord - I am referring to the Inboard most Flap of the four trailing edge Flaps. It has a flat protruding section that sits in a recess in the wing when the Flaps are up and is retracted into the fuselage when the wings are swept back.

This is the focus of my project, basically I'm planning to redesign it so that it doesn't have some cutouts that need to be filled. This is a major labour burden at second line.