PDA

View Full Version : Slim Boy Fat - And The Class One !!!

BIG MISTER
4th Jul 2002, 17:07
Its a slippery road....you start out eating rabbit food and playing Rugby three times a week. then you move onto something alittle more substancial and before you know it your in the hard stuff ..... PIES ! ! !

So having let the weight pile on over the years I need to do something about it.......the trouble is I have a Class Two that runs out at the end of next month and I really would like to do some flying after that.

.....But I really really really would like to give the class one a go.....and it seems pointless paying for a 2 and I want a 1 ?

I need to findout if I can pass the ****** before spending £££££'s on a ATPL !

So Doctor - what do you think - will you give me one ?

Its ok - I'm planning on flying heavy's.....well the Cessna's down to a 15min duration now after I've done the weight and balance and I'm not able to use grass strips ! :D

Mind you it performs a near purfect 'hands off' left hand turn round the airfield....and I hardly get any wear on the off side tyre !!!!

:D :D :D

QDMQDMQDM
4th Jul 2002, 19:26
Well, it's going to come down to body mass index, not just weight, as weight on its own is meaningless. Body mass index (BMI) is defined as the formula: weight(kg)/height(m)2.

The acceptable range is 20-25. Obesity is taken to start at a BMI of 30 and gross obesity at 40. A BMI of 18-20 is defined as mild starvation and severe starvation begins when BMI falls below 16.

There must, inevitably, be a value of BMI above which a Class 1 will not be awarded. Why not calculate your BMI and then ask the medical examiner ahead of the event? Could save you a lot of money. Which you could then sink into Slimfast. ;)

QDM

BIG MISTER
5th Jul 2002, 02:00
Is it possible that gravity has odd values across the south east ?

Its just that earlier today in Surrey I was 5lbs lighter than after a night out in Crawley......odd that !

SlimFast ?.......Do they do pies ?

Seems that I'll have to give the lard a miss for a year or two - just worked out the BMI and it seems that I'm my own International Airline ! ! !

So I'll have to beg / borrow / bribe my FMO for a class two and then hit the gym......skin tight lycra and a dodgy head band .... seems Ive got my workout cut out for me....but in the words of another Big Mister.....I'll BE Back ! ! !

:p

gingernut
5th Jul 2002, 15:26
Thats the spirit old chap !
QDM's advice is absolutely spot on.
Its a very basic calculation in the end though:

Pies + doing nothing that makes you out of breath = Class2

5 Fruits a day + bit of effort that makes you sweaty = Class1.

Its up to you !

PS don't waist(!) money on slimfast, spend it at a green grocers.

==============================================

Who did eat all the pies?

foghorn
7th Jul 2002, 15:20
"PS don't waist(!) money on slimfast, spend it at a green grocers"

Sound advice if I've ever heard it.

As best you can cut out meat, fried food, processed food, baked food, bread and dairy products, fats, sweets, chocoaltes and crisps, oh and if you can manage it, booze (I can't!).

Breakfast on cereal, fruit and porridge instead of toast and fryups.
Don't eat sandwiches or large meals at lunchtime - eat jacket potatoes with fillings.
At night, absolutely pig yourself out on vegetables, fruit, rice and pasta.
You physically can't eat enough of most of these things to gain weight. Look at the calories per 100g on the label - around 100cal/100g is good, higher is bad (pure fat is around 6-700 cal/100g). Food with a high water content is good because water contains 0 calories, dry food is bad as it won't fill you up as much for the same calories.

Worked for me - I lost nearly 2 stone 3 years ago and haven't yet put it back on, and I eat like a pig, I just eat low calorie food.

BIG MISTER
10th Jul 2002, 13:17
and I'm not over 40 BMI.......so I'm offically not Gross ! ! !

Thats the good news.....the not so good news is that I dont think I'll be drinking till 0700hrs at the next Gatbash ! ! !

Rabbits - they look happy enough dont they ?

:D

fellipo
10th Jul 2002, 18:07
take a look at www.fatmanslim.com. You can take the programme with you and it is a sensible, no-nonsense programme.

Fujiflyer
10th Jul 2002, 21:44
BIG MISTER

There was a thread a couple of months ago which is worth having a quick read of:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51605

Incidentally I believe the AME's begin to get concerned if BMI is over 30. They don't take any of the crap about being "heavy boned" either. :( I have heard though that a medical may be awarded if you have began to lose weight (subject to a check after several months).

As the others have said eat loads of veg' and watch the calorie labels as a few foods can surprise you (noodles for e.g.). My diet is still working (down to 91kg now) - I am strict during the week but relax a bit at weekends. Even then I stick to low calorie (but not low alc) beer instead of the premium brands which tend to contain a lot of sugar, and avoid obviously fatty foods. Drying off oily solids with kitchen roll is a must.

On the subject of alcohol I have noticed that when you diet your tolerance seems to drop dramatically. :confused: Must be something to do with the chemical changes in one's body due to the diet???

Good Luck

Fujiflyer :)

BIG MISTER
11th Jul 2002, 15:09
Thanks again for your replies - most helpful.

There is a funny connection between ones LBS and the effects of a few pints of stout on your inner ear and loud conversation !

I guess that its not so much a chemical change as a set amount of alcohol being placed in a large bucket or a small bucket. The small one will have a higher consentration of alcohol in it.

.....lucky gits.....so you mean to say small people have more fun for less £££'s at the pub too ! ! !

Standard Noise
18th Jul 2002, 18:19
Hey, BIG MISTER - don't sweat too much, it could all be in vain.
I've held a Class 1 for over 10 years, and my BMI is 36!

Don't let the skinny people grind you down, they're just jealous.
Mrs Noise still hasn't figured out why I don't get cold in winter!:D :D

silverknapper
18th Jul 2002, 18:58
agree with standard noise. I think my bmi is over 30 ie 16 stone and 5'10. Just passed class 1. I am quite fit and was told as long as it causes no problems, ie BP then you are ok. Look at guys who pump iron. You wouldn't call them obese(at least to their face) and they are tipping 17 stone. Get down the gym, get 3 miles down to under 25 mins then don't worry about it again.

SK

FatFlyer
21st Jul 2002, 10:37
As far as I know, being overweight itself will not stop you getting a class 1 medical, the problems that go with it such as high BP, heart problems, diabetes, high cholesterol may though.

iainpoll
21st Jul 2002, 22:38
This one is unconventional, but has worked for me (and the missus);)

The low carbohydrate, or 'Atkins' diet.

No sugar, no starches, no processed or junk food. You can eat all 'pure' protiens and fats, i.e. butter, cream, eggs, meat, fish etc. along with small portions of green veggies and salad. Fruit is forbidden, due to the extremely high concentrations of sugar found in modern fruit. (A red apple can contain the equivilent of 6 teaspoons of the foul stuff)! My missus has gone from 12 to 9 stone, her cholesterol has gone from 6.8 to 4.2, her triglycerides are down also. One big downer, NO ALCOHOL!

One other benefit is having stopped using sugar, you stop getting the high/low blood sugar moodswings which can lead to sugar addiction, and ultimately Diabetes.

Just another idea:)

Iain.

flybyvelcro
23rd Jul 2002, 21:45
Try the home brew diet. You are not allowed to eat anything, but you can drink as much home brew as you like.
The first week I tried the diet, I lost three days!

BIG MISTER
23rd Jul 2002, 22:50
The Home Brew diet......sounds very similar to the 'Cabbage soup' diet I went on for a week last year......and if I'm correct....home brew and cabbage soup have very similar effects !!!

Mind you....there is a slight difference....on the home brew diet you just wont care about it ! ! ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for the replies - keep them coming - I think all us tubsters need a little cheering up now and again !

The Atkins diet - yep a mate of mine lost a lot of LBS on this one a couple of years back.......guess Ive got a target to get to before I blow it all on the Xmas Gatbash !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standard Noise
24th Jul 2002, 23:51
I had a look at one of the Atkins books in Waterstones a while back and decided that reading the book would be enough to put me to sleep. When I renewed my class1 in April this year, the doc recommended Atkins, so I might give it a go.....if I can stay awake!

**CABBAGE SOUP DIET**
Avoid this diet - it has been recommended to many people under the misconception that it is good for you, it is not.
I know of an Atco who tried it for a few weeks and when he went for his yearly Bupa check up, was told by the doc that he was putting a strain on his heart among other things. Anyway, as soon as he stopped the diet, he put the weight back on within 2 months. And now he just can't bring himself to eat soup of any kind!

BM - something I have recommended before, is following the weightwatchers diet. I tried it last year cos the wife was on it and it wasn't too bad. It's just a pain having to weigh everything before you eat. It works as long as you have the willpower but I'm havung trouble with willpower at the moment - no one seems to sell it!

BIG MISTER
25th Jul 2002, 04:42
Standard Noise

Thanks for your advice....Ive just manage to borrow an ATKINS book and it looks like something that EASY might have produced. Theres no way Im ever going to lose it in that bright orange cover.....looks radioactive !!!

I'll do some reading and get back to you !

Will Power.....Ive got it but my ruddy crewmate stuffs himself 24/7 and its hard work sitting next to a skinny waste disposal unit all the time ! ! !

canberra
25th Jul 2002, 18:11
the two best diets ive come across are the one that lets you eat anything you like, you just dont swallow! and the onion and garlic diet where all you eat is onions and garlic. on the onion and garlic diet you dont lose any weight but no one can get close enough to tell you!

BIG MISTER
29th Jul 2002, 21:46
Ive just read a post by Fujiflyer and he says that weight can effect your eye sight......seems that there is something to do with increased KG's = High blood pressure which in turn = poor eye sight ????

And there was me thinking that it had more to do with reading magazines by yourself by torch light

So it seems that not only will I get drunk on a fiver (just like being 16 again) I'll be able to see who Ive trapped as well !!!!

Its my birthday so the diet starts tomorrow......well to be correct the day after.....off to Branigans in Crawley tomorrow with work so I guess it starts the day after the night before !

Wish me luck and maybe see you in Crawley !!!!!!!!!