PDA

View Full Version : MEIR & MEP, worth revalidating both?

pilotsvrou
28th Oct 2016, 10:35
What's everyone thoughts on re-validating both your MEIR & MEP when seeking airline employment? Both were re-validated last year on aircraft, so wanted to only keep MEIR current this year on sim. You only need an MEIR to commence type rating with airline correct?

Bloated Stomach
28th Oct 2016, 17:31
You don't need an MEP to start a type rating.

Hope that helps.

SeventhHeaven
29th Oct 2016, 11:25
Lots of people don't revalidate their MEP, and end up landing airline jobs just fine!

pilotsvrou
29th Oct 2016, 12:43
Thank you very much for the replies! I really appreciate it! So just to clarify with a current MEIR you have the rights to apply it to any multi engine aircraft that you get type rated on with an airline for instance. So would you say it is essentially an add on, and only required if you are aiming to get on MEP'S. Thank you so much again for help!

CrazyScientist
29th Oct 2016, 17:53
Out of interest, how easy is it to keep proficient on the MEIR stuff and pass the MEIR renewal without maintaining an MEP class rating and keeping current in a real MEP airplane?

parkfell
29th Oct 2016, 22:27
I don't think "sympathy" is a concept the UK CAA would 'encourage' to maintain the tick in the box.

The practical issue you are faced with, is the sim ride demonstrating RAW DATA skills. Unless you are in current practice this would be a significant obstacle to overcome. Without the necessary practice, you are doomed..........

As a side issue, Airbus drivers going for a job, often have the sim ride on a Boeing. Quite often success is deferred..............

CrazyScientist
30th Oct 2016, 02:10
That's interesting feedback, thanks for the input.

Do you reckon it's feasible to maintain the required standard for the MEIR just by using FNTPII sims, even for the test every other year that has to be done in the airplane?

CrazyScientist
1st Nov 2016, 21:55
Very useful info, thanks!

portsharbourflyer
5th Nov 2016, 02:15
pilotsvrou,

Once you get a type rating you get a type specific MPA/IR, this doesn't keep your SPA ME/IR current, the MPA/IR does not give you any single pilot IR privileges (there is some cross credit when renewing/revalidating the SPA/IR, but I cant remember the exact rule). A current SPA ME/IR without the MEP gives you in the UK automatically a SPA/ SE IR. To do your first multi crew type rating a pre-requisite is to have a current SPA ME/IR. Under JAA, a second multi crew type did not require a current IR, I interpret under EASA this is still the case, sim training sessions for the second type rating would count as the ATO training for renewal of the MPA/IR, as such a second multi crew type rating does not require a current SPA ME IR? The alternate rule, aircraft one year, sim the next year is a reasonable new rule. Before about 2008 the ME IR could be continuously renewed or revalidated in the sim; as such plenty of people successfully completed type ratings with just the MEIR revalidated in the sim without issue.

As for raw data flying for a sim check; some one with a current ME IR at month 11 will struggle more than someone with a lapsed IR who has done a few hours practice in a relevant sim. So really no issue in only keeping the ME/IR current without the MEP. Also remember most jobs flying an MEP on a commercial basis will have far higher houra requirements than that needed to fly RHS on a multi crew type. So below 700 hours total time you probably cant get insured to fly an MEP on an AOC anyway.

pilotsvrou
13th Nov 2016, 17:02
portsharbourflyer,

Thank you so much for all your information and taking time to answer my question, I really appreciate it!