PDA

View Full Version : Oregon V.2....."The Sequel "

Krystal n chips
28th Oct 2016, 05:37
Earlier this year, we were entertained, and bemused, by the antics and actions of a fearless group of stalwarts ( and sundry dysfunctional citizens ) engaged in a "difference of opinion" in Oregon.

The thread was most informative as we were also treated to long and complex ( as an alternative to counting sheep for insomnia, unsurpassed however ) lectures on the finer points of US legislation.

Thus it's nice to have a happy ending to such events although quite how they were acquitted remains something of a mystery it seems.

No matter, although with the resounding victory for the militia concept, we can only hope that, with Trumps imminent defeat in the polls, this success does act as a source of inspiration to his equally dysfunctional supporters.

Oregon wildlife refuge occupiers cleared - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37795012)

It does, however, get a bit more problematic.

The screenplay / DVD / book and musical commemoration of this epoch will now surely have to be hastily re-written to reflect this resounding testimonial to their overcoming the combined efforts of the Federal administration.

alwayzinit
28th Oct 2016, 13:29
Krystal, so just to be clear, the Oregon "farmers" have been been through "Due Process" have been tried by their piers and acquitted.
This, however, is not to your liking.
My question to you is do you support the legal process or only when the result suits your point of view?

Krystal n chips
28th Oct 2016, 14:08
" This, however, is not to your liking.
My question to you is do you support the legal process or only when the result suits your point of view "

If you don't mind me saying so you're not that astute really.

When this little saga commenced, it soon became readily apparent it was a unique blending of a Kafkaesque "Bugs Bunny" meets "the Simpsons"....

Indeed, the "only in America " expression came readily to mind, many times in fact. Had he still be around, a starring role for Ronnie in this "to be shown between 0200 and 0400 hrs only" Z list series, or film, would surely have beckoned

Alas, we were treated to much gravitas on here regarding the worlds lamentable lack of knowledge, a travesty I know, regarding the US Legal system and various paragraphs, sub-sections of the Constitution as a side dish.

Thus the event was wide open to mockery and humour.....I could, and neither you suspect would the bulk of the US population and a fair chunk of the world actually take matters seriously.....and I still can't.

Nothing whatsoever therefore to do with "due process" and the acquittal thereafter....more to do with a source of entertainment really.

alwayzinit
28th Oct 2016, 15:40
"If you don't mind me saying so you're not that astute really." You are , of course entitled to your opinion.

"No matter, although with the resounding victory for the militia concept, we can only hope that, with Trumps imminent defeat in the polls, this success does act as a source of inspiration to his equally dysfunctional supporters"
Though this statement trails your petticoat more than a little...........

Reading the report the prosecutors chose a rather odd charge to bring against the "farmers". Keeping Federal Employees from their place of work. Hardly a hanging offence! I am sure, had there been any REAL felony, the Federal Government would have brought charges, they did not.
They did however, shoot and kill an unarmed man, yet there was no mass protest such as "Farmer's Lives Matter" or a cringe worthy oh so sincere statement from the current occupant of 1600 Penn Ave.

I do agree with you that the whole episode has been an absolute farce. What it did and does highlight is the heavy handed behaviour of a Government that is completely out of touch with those who live in the more underpopulated areas of the US.

My personal read is this was brushed under the carpet ASAP to minimise the exposure of Federal land grabbing within the interior.

obgraham
28th Oct 2016, 17:26
Interesting that when juries go against the existing law in favor of liberal causes this is considered a wonderful example of justice supporting the oppressed.

But when juries go against the prevailing opinion to support a conservative cause, this is now considered a "joke and a farce".

Krystal n chips
28th Oct 2016, 18:04
Ah, another lost soul it seems....

But when juries go against the prevailing opinion to support a conservative cause, this is now considered a "joke and a farce

I am not referring to the juries decision, strange though it seems, but to the whole saga and the classic, c/o Hollywood, "stand off" and of course, the "cast of characters" involved....even central casting would have been hard pushed to create such.... and the screenplay to accompany them.

The juries decision could, in fact, have come straight from a "Miss Marple" episode...... or the "Pink Panther" series.

As for the shooting of an unarmed man, well this did indeed lead to an outbreak of almost mass hysteria on here....conspiracy theory heaven in fact...we stopped short, just, of the rounds fired / velocity / temperature gradient and wind deviation, plus the curvature of the earth, but other than that.....

I agree though, it does seem rather odd as to the charges, but, as I said at the time, given this is election year in the US, and no politician ( or Trump ) wastes an opportunity for publicity in the name of whatever issue may benefit their political aspirations, it did seem strange that non actually legged it to Oregon at the time.

West Coast
28th Oct 2016, 20:40
wastes an opportunity for publicity in the name of whatever issue may benefit their political aspirations, it did seem strange that non actually legged it to Oregon at the time.

Then you don't understand the economics of US politics as well as you thought.

obgraham
28th Oct 2016, 21:22
Once again, it is just a matter of your place on the spectrum.

Just today, we have a demonstration going on in North Dakota. A group of Indians (sorry, "Indigenous Americans") have occupied and are barricading a pipeline construction project because it violates their "religious principles". They've taken over some of the facilities, vowing never to leave.

Needless to say, we also have a bunch of Hollywood prima donnas, always on the lookout for a camera, coming in on the side of the protesters, and even some Aussie fellows weighing in on it.

But the media will certainly not allow Mockery and Humor, as K&C might suggest, to apply in this case. Another example of Euro-Americans running roughshod over those worthy natives.

SASless
28th Oct 2016, 22:12
Doesn't do much for the dead Man that was gunned down by the Police and Feds does it?

Now does appear the Civil Proceeding into his Death and other Official Acts might get very interesting.

Don't you just love Jury Nullification when it happens!