PDA

View Full Version : HIV/AIDS Patient Zero

Hempy
27th Oct 2016, 05:54
I always figured it was a little bit suspect that the first guy to bring HIV into America was a sexual predator intentionally spreading the virus because he was evil. HIV hadn't even been identified yet...

The science in this story is a good read.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/azeenghorayshi/debunking-patient-zero?utm_term=.unEZnZp8M#.hcP4P4EWl

Lonewolf_50
27th Oct 2016, 14:38
Hempy, back in the 80's people didn't refer to someone who liked to have sex a lot as a sexual predator. They tended to be referred to as horny, and successful. (And for those who were bi, I heard the term "equal opportunity lech" used by a few celebrities, to include the lead singer for R.E.M., Michael Stipe). Are you sure you aren't reading some revisionist history? Even with the Herpes scare/plague of the early 80's, having sex (the momentum of "the sexual revolution of the 60's and 70) tended to have priority over whether or not one was having safe sex. (STD's come in a variety of shapes and flavors, to be sure).

West Coast
27th Oct 2016, 19:20
I tend to agree with LW. The 80s was the timeframe when my hope for interaction with the opposite sex was at its greatest. Countering that was a matter of being scared off by the potential of getting something a simple shot couldn't cure and not a matter of seeking out a boogeyman. I'm sure in some circles there were few who wanted to, but I don't recall that being a big topic in the general population.

You're right Hempy, the science of the article was interesting, good find.

Seldomfitforpurpose
27th Oct 2016, 19:28
Interesting article.

John Hill
27th Oct 2016, 20:08
There may be some dispute about the validity of 'Patient Zero' but there is no doubt that AIDS was introduced into Scotland by the Gay Gordons.

fltlt
27th Oct 2016, 20:32
Southern Alberta, 1981/82 a friend of ours was involved in a horrific car accident, if there had not been a nurse on scene at the time he would have died.
He spends 6 months in intensive care, slowly getting put back together, both physically and mentally.
Finally well enough to go home, a week later he has a stroke, whole left side of his body affected. Back into the hospital, finally he regains use of his left arm and leg, partial use of the left facial muscles, he is released to go home.
A month or so goes by and his wife mentions that he has had cold like symptoms since he came home, tried all the usual medications, nothing works.
Saw him a month later, looked like somebody had drained the life out of him.
A week later he was back in the hospital, 10 days later he died.

After a long medical investigation of the possible cause of death it was determined that at least one, if not more of the blood transfusions he received immediately after the car accident were HIV contaminated.

That was the first time a lot of folks heard about AID's and it immediately changed the blood donation procedures.

SARF
27th Oct 2016, 20:36
Starsky's wife was,the first big blood transfusion victim..
and rock Hudson was the first star.. in the uk anyway

Eddie Dean
27th Oct 2016, 21:24
Hempy, back in the 80's people didn't refer to someone who liked to have sex a lot as a sexual predator. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Are you sure you aren't reading some revisionist history? Even with the Herpes scare/plague of the early 80's, having sex (the momentum of "the sexual revolution of the 60's and 70) tended to have priority over whether or not one was having safe sex. (STD's come in a variety of shapes and flavors, to be sure). The research done by Woroby is just that, research. He has drawn conclusions to support his hypothesis. He has shown that at the least, Dugan was a factor in the initial breakout.

Octane
28th Oct 2016, 02:17
According to an interview yesterday (BBC? might have been NPR) of one of the original medical investigators, the flight attendant was not labelled patient 0 (zero) but patient O ("oh") because he was the first case diagnosed Outside San Francisco.
The final conclusions were that the virus probably arrived in the USA in the early '70s and the transfer from Monkeys to Humans probably occurred about 100 years ago....

Mr Optimistic
28th Oct 2016, 05:06
I seem to recall that tests of archive medical tissue showed evidence of HIV in a merchant seaman who died in unexplained circumstances in the UK in 1958.

Edit: ah, apparently this is now in doubt, contamination being suspected owing to the modern DNA sequence that was detected whereas in reality these things mutate progressively.

Tarq57
28th Oct 2016, 06:37
The article linked at the bottom; "after 30 years, why don't we have an aids vaccine" makes a fairly interesting read, too.

beeg0d
28th Oct 2016, 06:55
The article linked at the bottom; "after 30 years, why don't we have an aids vaccine" makes a fairly interesting read, too.
Exept we do (sourt of) Not technically a vaccine as you have to take it daily but taken properlly it is 99% effictive at proventing HIV infection. One combination Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate & Emtrictabine (Travada) tablet daily.

Tarq57
28th Oct 2016, 08:05
How does it affect your typing skills, though? ;)

beeg0d
28th Oct 2016, 09:15
How does it affect your typing skills, though? ;)
No idea, but my typing has always been bad :)

megan
28th Oct 2016, 12:04
Seems possible

BOY'S 1969 DEATH SUGGESTS AIDS INVADED U.S. SEVERAL TIMES - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/28/us/boy-s-1969-death-suggests-aids-invaded-us-several-times.html)

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/47/18566.full.pdf

innuendo
29th Oct 2016, 04:56
I flew with Gaetan a couple of times a week for a couple of months.
Probably around the late seventies.

He was a really nice guy to work with and did a great job for the company. He was not shy about his preferences but did not flaunt it or push it.

He left us too soon. It is good to see this "Patient Zero" stigma debunked.