PDA

View Full Version : Royal Brunei Airlines

allora05
27th Oct 2016, 03:31
Anyone have feedback on what RBA are like to work for? and if they are hiring?

PILOTHEAD
27th Oct 2016, 07:01
Applied, said they aren't hiring

Blue.Sky
6th Oct 2017, 09:18
Recruitment is opened. Any info?

kwaiyai
6th Oct 2017, 19:50
https://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401468466/-royal-brunei-airlines-a320-rated-and-non-rated-captains-and-first-officers-brunei/?cmpid=NLC|JOBS|FGJOB-2017-1004-JN|TJ5&cmpid

tony the jesus
17th Oct 2017, 18:08
Anyone can confirm if the terms and conditions on offer by Royal Brunei remain the same as for 2014?

If I stand correct, expected salary would be around BND 165,000 per year plus housing, education and insurances.

Thank you.

Bingbongbob
18th Oct 2017, 08:13
For those people looking for info on RBA.

As others have alluded to the package is significantly below the going rate for a contract A320 Captain in Asia. The package has not increased significantly for many years and has been left well behind the going rate over time. Any increments (2.5% last year) are only applied to the basic salary so make very little difference.

In the past people accepted the lower pay because you could expect to fly 50 hours per month and with a reasonable amount of leave (more on that later) you could have a pretty good family lifestyle.

Unfortunately those days are over and you can expect to fly 70 plus hours per month. Those 70hrs a month require a lot of duty hours to achieve because of overnight split duties, nature of the route network, inefficient rostering etc.

The way the roster is written seems to be designed to give the pilots as little free time as possible. You will get 8 days off per month. Generally expect to start on an early and finish on a late. Another favourite is a SBY duty until 2300 before a day off. It is normal to have single days off in the roster.

The lifestyle in Brunei is not for everyone.
It is a very quiet place, a dry country so no Bars etc at all. A relatively small expat community (and getting smaller) that some people may find a little bit claustrophobic. Spouse's will not be able to work, about the only exception being teachers. It is also a very long way from the UK/Europe, especially when RBA starts messing with your contract leave tickets.
Brunei relies on oil and gas for 90% of its income. With the low oil price there has been a noticeable reduction in spending by the government, whether they will continue to pour money into RBA is anyone’s guess (RBA has never made a profit, it's just the size of the loss that varies)

The website mentions a "generous" amount of leave. 48 days sounds ok at first glance but there are a few things not obvious from the outside. Firstly those pilots already here get 56 days, HR are trying to effectively introduce a "B scale contract". The leave days are not working days. If you take a week’s leave that will be 7 days from your entitlement and you will lose 2 days off in that month (down to 6 from 8). Don't expect to get days off before or after leave.

The package is made up of a few parts as listed (all in BND) approximate figures per month.

Basic salary. $6500
Supplementary allowance. $3000
Expatriate allowance. $1700
Duty pay - variable approx. $800

RBA will pay an Education allowance of up to $800/mth per child 5yrs and over. This will only cover a little over 50% of the school fees at the international school (if you can get a place)

Housing allowance provides for a reasonable 3/4 bedroom detached house.

My advice for anyone considering joining RBA.

Do your due diligence. If you are offered a contract, insist on RBA flying you to Brunei for a good look around. Speak to the pilots/spouse's already here and decide if your family will be happy living here. It's too late once you are here to question the contract/conditions, staff travel, cost of living, school fees etc. It will suit some people but don’t turn up thinking it will be like living in the UK/Europe.

For type rated A320 Captains there is a big shortage worldwide. I would suggest that you are in a strong position to insist on the same contract (leave) as the rest of the RBA pilots.

Bob

Luibar
19th Oct 2017, 11:38
With those conditions and the way the market is for experienced and qualified pilots, I don't see many applying.

HR are trying to effectively introduce a "B scale contract".

With luck the pay will be even lower...

training wheels
19th Oct 2017, 13:09
Didn’t RBA accept NZ license holders in the past? Is that not the case anymore?

Toastal
19th Oct 2017, 22:51
Pulled out of the application process last week. Heard nothing from HR after trying on several occasions to contact them re confirming T&C's, they seem like an utter shambles. As an ex-spotty driver, none of my friends/colleagues will be moving to the other side of the world for this pile of poo. B Scale indeed.........

Metro man
20th Oct 2017, 01:27
Another airline on the list where the good days are in the past, along with Air Niugini, Cathay and Emirates.

If you're in already and on the B787 probably not too bad for the moment. However the airline wants local pilots not expats so don't expect to move fleets. The oil price is a serious issue for the country as without oil it would be simply jungle, like the rest of Borneo.

Not a career airline anymore but not paying enough for a contract job. Hong Kong Airlines have a better package and are cancelling flights due to lack of A320/330 pilots.

Toastal
20th Oct 2017, 11:12
Another airline on the list where the good days are in the past, along with Air Niugini, Cathay and Emirates.

If you're in already and on the B787 probably not too bad for the moment. However the airline wants local pilots not expats so don't expect to move fleets. The oil price is a serious issue for the country as without oil it would be simply jungle, like the rest of Borneo.

Not a career airline anymore but not paying enough for a contract job. Hong Kong Airlines have a better package and are cancelling flights due to lack of A320/330 pilots.

Funny you mention that Mm, I have a selection with them in a fortnight. From us in the "M" Brigade, it definitely has the T&C's that we are after. Anything less (which is what RBA and the likes are offering) is just an insult!!

T:suspect:

madmufti
27th Oct 2017, 05:40
Bingbongbob has very good advice.

In addition all new-joiners should familiarize themselves with the 'Dunning-Kruger effect' as part of the orientation process.

wycjol
27th Apr 2018, 15:34
Does anybody know what is happening in RBA these days? I know that they are still advertising for experienced crew, but how many captains do they need? Are they having any luck with employing more captains on the new (less leave) deal? Is it worth hanging on for an improvement to the T&C's?

dan1165
28th Apr 2018, 09:29
My advice is to avoid this "company" at all cost :yuk:

sheppey
29th Apr 2018, 13:16
My advice is to avoid this "company" at all cost https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/pukey.gif My never- to-be- forgotten memory of that dump was when I went for an unsuccessful interview many years ago. And that was the hordes of huge voracious ants climbing up and down the walls of my bedroom and occasionally falling on to my bed in the middle of the night and the nightly screaming of the monkeys in the jungle back of my digs. l

777-200LR
30th Apr 2018, 02:49
Lets quickly summarize, last year they required a UK EASA ATPL only, and now that requirement has gone. I guess that should tell you how successful the recruitment is going....

dan1165
30th Apr 2018, 16:24
The worst company to work for with dishonnest people :yuk:

krismiler
1st May 2018, 01:48
They’ve had an advert for A320 Pilots in Flight International at least 3 times in the last 12 months. It was a good gig about 15 years ago on the B767 but those days are over. Long term outlook for Brunei isn’t brilliant when the oil runs out. Expat days may be numbered as locals are trained up.

Dimwit Minion
6th May 2018, 01:12
an endemic cancer purveys probably terminal. Certainly no cure in sight just more repeating of the same behaviour and not even hoping for a different result.

Resignations from Flight Operations:
Executive General Manager (times 2 withiin 6 months).
Chief Pilot (allegedly resigned before removed)
Flight Safety Officer
B787 Training Manger
A320 Training manager

Any decent Aviation Authority would have considered suspending the AOC by now. Fortunately for these buffoons the DCA and RB belong to the same entity.

CEO appears to be more interested in property development and branding than running an airline. There seems to be no intention on his part to sort any of these problems out. He really seems either not to care or he has his head firmly up his ass. In any event he does not appear to have the balls to face the pilots.

"Ignorance can be cured but stupidity is for ever"

PilotuhCV
6th Aug 2018, 01:24
Hello everyone, newbie here. I have been trying to read up on the forums, but cannot find a direct answer. I have an interview with RBA this month, anyone here know the details, what kind of questions you can expect and what the sim check will look like for a non type rated FO.

Regards

dan1165
7th Aug 2018, 10:25
Go there and see the joke !!!!!!

PilotuhCV
7th Aug 2018, 11:12
My questions is very simple and straight forward, but somehow I cannot get an answer.

Eddy Dunning Kreuger
7th Aug 2018, 12:19
My questions is very simple and straight forward, but somehow I cannot get an answer.

If you are someone who requires a straight answer to a simple question then maybe Royal Brunei is not for you.

If you have a valid pilots licence that helps (but is not a necessity).
If you have a measurable heartbeat that helps.(but is not a necessity).
If you are willing to take everything you know about commercial aviation and then erase it from your memory that definitely helps.
If you don't mind being subservient to unskilled junior staff that helps.
if you believe the ability to actually fly a plane is irrelevant that helps.
Can you spell B787?
Can you spell Dreamliner (advanced question)?
Can you kiss fat ass?
Do you like chaos (sorry I meant flexibility)?
Do you enjoy perpetual sleep deprivation?
Do you wish to end your marriage?
Are you capable of ignoring logical thought processes?
Are you incapable of critical thinking?
Can you over-complicate even the simplest things?

If the answer to all the above is yes then maybe this is the airline for you.

Luibar
14th Aug 2018, 11:14
By chance, yesterday I had a very interesting chat with a pilot who is applying to RBA as DEC on the A320. He said they increased or are about to increase some allowances (education to B$1200 per month, flight pay up from the $8 per block hour to increase the take home pay as they will fly at least 70 hours a month). Also he said they are not happy when pilots ask about the annual leave because they just don't want to increase it again to 58 days. When I asked if those informations came from the airline he said it came from a fellow pilot that left recently.
Anyone can confirm?

4runner
16th Aug 2018, 21:19
We were going into DXB and got rocked by wake turbulence on that stupid triple downwind Habibi arrival they have. We were following a Brunei 777 who was at min clean. We broke the arrival off and landed without further event. We met the Brunei crew at Habibi immigration. I asked the Skipper who was a Yank if they were in front of us and we started a brief exchange of pleasantries. The Captain was a professional gentleman. The FO bore a striking resemblance to the current leader of N Korea and looked down his nose, as best as his short stature permitted, at me and my crew. Horrible little Man, bless his heart. He didn’t know what had transpired and didn’t like the look of an African airline crew I guess.

tony the jesus
16th Aug 2018, 22:24
He said they increased or are about to increase some allowances (education to B$1200 per month, flight pay up from the $8 per block hour to increase the take home pay as they will fly at least 70 hours a month).

Even so, unfortunately the package is still poor.

Major Cleve Saville
20th Aug 2018, 11:15
What happened? 20 years ago this was rumored to be a top gig? I heard even the gold was gold-plated. It is one of the few places that does not offer flexible / commuter rosters so presumably the work life/balance is pretty good?

4runner
20th Aug 2018, 11:44
So were a lot of expat gigs, especially the ones run by the Brits. They were well run, managed by leaders and made tolerable by a healthy compensation package and pleasant social climate fostered by said folks. Eventually, more and more local input and employees are instroduced. People are hired based on political connections rather than merit. The operation becomes less attractive to the original talent, more and more decision making is taken by local staff. Eventually, local nepotism forces out competent expat staff, airline becomes less efficient, less desirable and more hostile to foreigners. Foreigners leave, airline gors downhill, local staff can not maintain operation, hire expats again, but begrudgingly. Moral sucks, job sucks, time to move on to the next best thing. Repeat on every continent.

tony the jesus
21st Aug 2018, 17:31
Until a few months ago I was very focused in applying as DEC. Although, after some search I started to realize that it wouldn´t be a wise decision as the package seems to be on the poor side along with some apparent unwise roster decisions which could influence family balance in Brunei. So, if they for real have the desire to improve the terms and conditions, that would be great but I believe they just wake up that a little bit late.
In the end, I ask the same question: What happened with RBA?

Duc_996_rider
10th Sep 2018, 06:51
RB has not impressed me at all. They only provided me one night in the hotel. I paid my own ticket. Now they have not given an answer from the assessment. Any airline that cannot give an answer is unprofessional, especially when it cost money to attend an assessment. This says a lot about an airline.

Even though the people were very nice and polite. They did not seem to be a very open group.

The part about the contract that did not sit well was a 3 year bond plus having to pay part of the training. Then they would pay back the money over the 3 year period. Usually the 3 year bond is sufficient for training but asking to pay part the training on top of that is a little much.

dan1165
10th Sep 2018, 09:52
Once again do not go there !!!!!

chaseplane
23rd Sep 2018, 02:09
How much would you need to live modestly in Brunei as a single person?

dan1165
23rd Sep 2018, 17:41
See above ... :ugh:

chaseplane
24th Sep 2018, 00:52
A friend of mine was telling me the other day how he can live quiet well just off the housing allowance, which is B$2200 and save up the rest of the FO salary, so I was just checking the facts.

Can't really find much on the internet, but how much is a 1 bedroom apartment rent, as well as the other expenses for a single person?

squarecrow
24th Sep 2018, 10:01
LOL, reading Duc 996 riders post, I went for this interview over 4 years ago and
seems like no change. I got 1 night in the Hotel etc etc. I actually only went cos
I too went to Singapore and came over from KL so got a cheap Air Asia flight I paid for.

I too did not join.

Dimwit Minion
24th Sep 2018, 12:46
The country has run out of money. The airline therefore has no money and is constantly trying to claw back dollars from its existing employees instead of dealing with blatant inefficiencies. Fantasy management from a management team at war with each other. Almost the entire flight operations management team has resigned. Constant announcements of new routes that rarely materialise except for a few charter destinations in China. Endemic incompetence at every level

HHChan
24th Sep 2018, 18:44
They still take guys?

chaseplane
24th Sep 2018, 22:14
I know a turboprop guy that is joining soon....

Dimwit Minion
25th Sep 2018, 14:32
I know a turboprop guy that is joining soon....

I know a lot of turbofan guys leaving soon.....

Aubpilot
23rd Jan 2019, 12:19
Importance of CRM, Why Royal Brunei, tell me about yourself, conflict with crew and how you solved it.

Where else did you applied, Tell me about Royal Brunei and Brunei Country. Just basic question very easy. No technical, no written.

SIM ride, A320, raw data Manchester ILS 05L then go around single Engine with flight director onl, vector for 23R and land. Easy

Nkosi
7th Feb 2019, 10:25
A few years ago RBA used to place aspiring young engineers into an apprenticeship scheme with UK maintenance organisations. They returned to Brunei as well trained people, both male and female.i wonder whether this is still the case?

Toastal
8th Apr 2019, 05:18
Are this mob still recruiting A320 DEC’s?.....Been bombarded with agency e-mails pertaining to them lately. Any one care to share their experience?

volare_737
8th Apr 2019, 07:21
They way that country is about human rights issues I would not work for them even if I am desperate and out of work !!! We should all boycott them working there or traveling with them !!!!

snow dragon
9th Apr 2019, 02:31
Heys guys been through the thread and would like to know current fo salary and benefits.
Thanks

Toastal
9th Apr 2019, 06:48
I take it you’re obviously in a secure job then? Nice for some!!

B772
11th Apr 2019, 13:45
chase. My accommodation was B$2,500 per month 25 years ago. The airline paid the landlord direct so your friend may be pulling your leg.

Bloated Stomach
19th Apr 2019, 07:32
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what I can expect in the assessment for the position of First Officer A320 none type rated?

Onesixty2four
20th Apr 2019, 00:37
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what I can expect in the assessment for the position of First Officer A320 none type rated?

Have you got a pulse and are willing to work for nothing? If the answer to both questions is "Yes", then you're in.

Bloated Stomach
20th Apr 2019, 07:58
Have you got a pulse and are willing to work for nothing? If the answer to both questions is "Yes", then you're in.

Could you elaborate on the point, willing to work for nothing?

Climb150
26th Nov 2019, 21:47
Bumping this as I have a question for anyone currently or recently at RB. I know the pay is on the low side and the country is dry with little entertainment but are they the only down sides?

Thanks.

NDBDME
27th Nov 2019, 06:34
the list is endless with the problems in RBA...Glad to have left...had fun whilst I was there, just been told by somebody there that they overpaid 787 pilots...well fiddled the factored hours on their ULR flight to London as all pilots are/have/will run out of flying hours, an alleged DCA exemption letter exists yet the CP will not show it to any pilots and the company are now claiming the money back.Better jobs around.

Brown_eye
16th Nov 2021, 08:14
Hahaha... can you believe this actually happened?!?!

It did actually happen B.T.W....

They fiddled the hours. Not happy that they had figured a way around FTL's they then took the money back from the 'greedy pilots'.

THEN..... a few months later...

Changed their contracts to remove the bonus payments, then fired them and didn't have to pay contractual lump sums.

They now have a number of new captains upgraded whilst flying a severely reduced schedule who were poor FO's (took them 10+ years to upgrade and multiple attempts) who will be entrusted to fly the line when things pick up.

SMOKING.HOLE.

MonarchOrBust
16th Nov 2021, 09:55
I can see that many a British and Australian pilot have had their dreams and hopes absolutely slashed but it always was a pointless airline.

Toastal
21st Nov 2021, 19:54
Not to mention the countless families, whose lives have been decimated, despite their loyalty and willingness to put up all manner of carp from the company. This is what you get when are “managed” by narcissistically delusional dribblers. Mix that in with a country completely full of inbreds and Bob’s your Monkhouse!!!

pfvspnf
2nd Dec 2021, 10:19
big punishment if LGBTQ over here

abode
18th Apr 2022, 04:05
Anyone know which inmate is running the asylum nowadays?

ThrustAssymComp
19th Apr 2022, 17:17
Englishman in Brunei

paravion1
20th Apr 2022, 12:01
Nobody in charge of RBA…..A CEO who knows nothing about running an airline…..or flying an aircraft…..a CRM nightmare when he was on line….B787 training department has no experience……No pilots so unable to recommence a full flying program post covid, now effecting day to day living in the abode. No regard to flight safety or the rules and regulations………no oversight from the DCA so effectively a non regulated airline……..Shame was good once

abode
21st Apr 2022, 05:09
It seems that the days of Fox Airlines are truly gone then. According to their website, Capt K is still in charge and I was wondering how he'd return RBA to a full flight schedule post-covid.

Laneez
21st Apr 2022, 10:13
Capt.K is not in charge……It’s Capt.S…who liked crashing the Airbus sim who is now in control