PDA

View Full Version : Questions to pilots in EASA land...

Jet Jockey A4
25th Oct 2016, 13:20
A couple of weeks ago our operations here in Canada got word that all pilots flying charters in EASA land must complete flight tests/PPCs every 6 months on each type they fly which is not a requirement in Canada.

In my case being typed on both the 604 and Global Express this means I need to go to training and pass a flight test on both aircrafts twice a year for a total of four times in a 12 month period!

Can anyone shed a light on this? Are pilots in Europe going to training and passing a flight test every 6 months if they fly their aircrafts commercially or on charters?

TIA

DCThumb
25th Oct 2016, 13:22
In a word, yes!

I do a Global recurrent annually and then a straight LPC/OPC 6 months later.

DCT

Jet Jockey A4
25th Oct 2016, 13:46
In a word, yes!

I do a Global recurrent annually and then a straight LPC/OPC 6 months later.

DCT

Thanks... Seems extreme to me... ho well!

what next
25th Oct 2016, 14:08
Thanks... Seems extreme to me... ho well!

If you grow up with this, you get used to it... This has been common practice in many European countries decades before EASA. Under certain conditions, the check rides on the larger/more complex aircraft could be counted for the smaller one(s) as well. This seems to have gone with EASA.

FlyMD
25th Oct 2016, 14:26
I have to do a full recurrent every year and an LPC/OPC 6 months later on BOTH types, which is really a bit heavy since both aircraft I fly are with the same operator.... Luckily at least the line check counts for both types... The way we do it with double-rated pilots is that you go to the training centre twice a year, and do the long recurrent on one type, followed by a day OFF, followed by the LPC/OPC on the other type.

I still like the FAA system a lot better though...

His dudeness
25th Oct 2016, 15:47
I still like the FAA system a lot better though...

Most likely because of their stuff does make sense, whereas EASA LalaLand is just about "how can we grab their balls and pull on em in case of".

There were times when I honestly thought: i could not be worse than the LBA. But EASA combined with the knitwits in BS (the car plate prefix for the town the LBA is located - I kidd you not!) brings aviation to its knees.

Jet Jockey A4
25th Oct 2016, 15:50
Well Canada it used to be that way... Every 6 months we needed training and a test but now it is no more.

If your company has a proper Transport Canada approuved training manual we can go to two years now before requiring a flight test.

We go once a year for a full recurrent training (twice is optional), on the first recurrent we do a loft in "lieu of a test" but this loft is not just a regular loft it compromises of failures and multiple approaches which in the end turns out to be excatly like a flight test... The following year after the full recurrent a flight test is given.

Does anyone know of applying for mitigating measures when the ICAO member as registered differences from ICAO regs?

DirtyProp
27th Oct 2016, 07:14
Most likely because of their stuff does make sense, whereas EASA LalaLand is just about "how can we grab their balls and pull on em in case of".

They call it "making sure you're safe and competent and supporting the economy and the industry."
Translation from the bureucranglish: coming up with more lame excuses to grab your money and support the FTOs.

It's about time we start demanding the same treatment towards politicians and public managers. Not current and proficient on your job? There's the door.

dboy
28th Oct 2016, 05:37
And do not forget all the paperwork in EASA land. It was driving my U.S instructors any myself crazy.

Prefer also the FAA system, but the i find the 6 month sim check a good thing.

Denti
28th Oct 2016, 06:42
Under certain conditions, the check rides on the larger/more complex aircraft could be counted for the smaller one(s) as well.

That is still possible. However probably more restricted than before. Airlines do that all the time, for example flying A320 and A330/350 with training credit. Which means that you have to have alternating simulator trainings, but both count for the other type as well. Mixed fleet flying has been heavily lobbied for by airbus of course, which might be the reason that it is still allowed. Althoug airbus did depart from that philosophy with the A350 which now has a common typerating with the A330, something boeing used to do. That allows a mixed fleet operation between three types now with A330, A350 and either A340 or A320. Still only one simulator event every six months, usually two days on the same type, one day LOFT and one day check.

galaxy flyer
28th Oct 2016, 23:41
Is this true for private US operators in EASA? Can anyone cite the authority for requiring 4 check rides a year?

GF

His dudeness
29th Oct 2016, 10:01
AFAIK its not true for PVT OPS

CL300
29th Oct 2016, 21:09
you need to document the training on part NCC, the said training has to comply with the regulation of registration / operation, PVT = once a year

GlenQuagmire
30th Oct 2016, 12:41
now chuck in some jet upset training in each seat for each type and thats my third ball ripped off..

Jet Jockey A4
1st Nov 2016, 16:41
Another question...

What is the maximum legal age to be a captain on a commercial/charter type flight on a business jet in Europe?

What about a private flight on the same type of aircraft.

FlyMD
1st Nov 2016, 16:57
As far as I know, 65 for commercial ops, no limit for private.

dirk85
2nd Nov 2016, 12:17
And on top of that you cannot have in a multi pilot commercial operation more than one flight crew member older than 59 in the cockpit at the same time.

PSF2J
4th Nov 2016, 10:02
dirk85, that changed a few years ago. Anyone can fly with anyone else commercially upto the age of 65, HOWEVER, if one of the crew holds on OML, then the limit becomes 60. EASA forgot to update that rule!

Private Ops: No limit

Jimbo

dirk85
4th Nov 2016, 11:20
We still have that limitation in our OM A as we speak, and the same in another operator I was flying for recently. I assumed it was still an EAA thing...

PSF2J
5th Nov 2016, 08:19
I forgot the caveat of "unless your OM Suite says otherwise" !!:ok:

How silly not have updated it to make ops more flexible. Got to love manuals :rolleyes: