PDA

View Full Version : Spotting at LGW

richardlittle
24th Oct 2016, 17:01
Hi all I Will be going down to Gatwick for some spotting with my son soon.
It has been a few years since my last visit.
On youtube there are a few vids looking over 08 and seemed to be in a field and raised so you can see the aircraft on the runway,
can anyone help about this spot. Do you get moved on .
Any help will be much appreciated. Richard

KelvinD
24th Oct 2016, 18:05
That has me baffled, Richard. I was at Gatwick yesterday and the spot to catch the aircraft using 08 is adjacent to a field but it is not possible to see the aircraft on the runway from there.
Here's a typical view of an inbound aircraft arriving on 08:
Ship Photos, Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, bulkers, tugs etc (http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin///details.php?image_id=21030)
You need to park a decent walk (about 10 mins) from there. Parking at or near the spot at the western end will see you moved on pretty sharpish.
PM me if you want further instructions.
Kelvin

primreamer
24th Oct 2016, 18:45
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1444234,-0.2170406,1802m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

richardlittle,
I hope the above link works. Extend the runway centreline until it meets the Ifield/Charlwood Road and this is the spot I think you have in mind. It does indeed sit on a slight rise, looks over the field to the Lowfield Heath Road, you can see the aircraft on the runway and sits right under the final approach from the west. There is a small unpaved lay-by with some gaps cut in the hedgerow at roadside that helps the view. Not much shelter if the weather is off.

richardlittle
24th Oct 2016, 19:26
Thanks to you both for your reply.
I think it must be that spot.
Here is one that I saw on youtube at the spot

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAS3Cm966NQ

Thanks again. Richard

KelvinD
24th Oct 2016, 22:56
The location where that video was taken from was a fair way away from the runway and with a pretty impressive lens! I also have to wonder if the person making the video was siting on something elevated such as the approach lights which stretch across that field.
As for holes in the hedgerow, I haven't spotted any and the hedge is currently about 10ft high.. The best you can do in that area is through the gaps in the fabric of the crash gate and here's a few examples of that location:
Ship Photos, Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, bulkers, tugs etc (http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin///details.php?image_id=20985)
Ship Photos, Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, bulkers, tugs etc (http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin///details.php?image_id=20987)
Ship Photos, Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, bulkers, tugs etc (http://www.kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin///details.php?image_id=20988)
This location is slightly to the North of the centre line.

richardlittle
25th Oct 2016, 11:14
Thanks Kevin, very nice photos and it looks like a good place,We are both looking forward to it. My son does not know yet but we have booked a night in the block hotel looking over the airport. Just hope now the weather plays ball.Richard

LadyL2013
26th Oct 2016, 15:24
You can stand by the emergency access gate on Lowfield Heath Road and have a great view, but you absolutely cannot park there and will be moved on pretty sharpish. You will need to park on the layby, a good 15 minute walk down the road near the caravan club on Charlwood road. Worth it if you don't mind the walk.

richardlittle
26th Oct 2016, 15:48
Thanks for that I will give that a try don't mind the walk..
If they are using 26 to land is there
Anywhere you can see the planes take off from, My son has started to take photos and it would be nice if we can find somewhere. Will we have any problems standing on the road by 26 for landing shots if they are using 26 to land, Thanks to all that has replied to me it is much appreciated. Richard

DaveReidUK
26th Oct 2016, 17:36
The A23, under the 26 approaches, is a public road so you are unlikely to be moved on if on foot, but I wouldn't want to spend much time standing alongside it. Plus there's a hedge between it and the perimeter road that makes it hard to see the runway (and the perimeter road itself is airport property, so it's possible, though unlikely that you will be moved on from there). If you just want flying shots, the cycleway between the A23 and the railway is good.

There's a good view of the approach and touchdown from the southernmost of the three South Terminal short-stay car parks (although you are south-facing). If you park on the top floor you'll be moved on PDQ, but on the lower floors the view is just as good and there's a reasonable chance that you will be left alone for a while. It's not cheap, though.

richardlittle
26th Oct 2016, 18:52
Hi David
Thanks for the info, I have payed for a stay in the short term car park. There is blue red and I think it's orange multi story.
What one do you think I should use and we will try to get a few shots there before we try the cycle path we will be spending a few hours around as we can not check in to the block hotel till 4pm, thanks again.Richard

LFT
26th Oct 2016, 20:09
Why are we so an@l at some airports in the UK at people wanting to watch and photograph aeroplanes.

Hotel Tango
26th Oct 2016, 21:44
Why are we so an@l at some airports in the UK at people wanting to watch and photograph aeroplanes.

Because it doesn't bring in as much income as all the shops!

LadyL2013
27th Oct 2016, 12:27
Had a chat with security at the airport one time. They said the airport get a lot of emails and tweets etc asking for a spotting area. They've had suggestions about making it financially viable and profitable like it is at other airports, but apparently the airport bosses just shrug it off at meetings.

It really makes no sense. They could have a nice little profitable thing going on for spotters or people waiting to catch flights or picking up and dropping relatives whilst at the same time not needing security to kick people out every five minutes and spotters are likely to spot any dodgy goings on anyway.

I remember the viewing gallery it used to have. Was always busy and the coffee shop was always packed.

Hotel Tango
27th Oct 2016, 14:37
What?! And occupy space that could be used for even more shops?!!! Don't be silly ;)

Skipness One Echo
30th Oct 2016, 11:00
The roadway under the terminal building on the south side is good, full airfield views and decent 26L landers. Accessed from South Terminal Virgin check in zone.

Doors to Automatic
30th Oct 2016, 16:49
Richard - I used to park at the Russ Hill Hotel and walk a little way down the main road to the South-West. A little way further there is a footpath on the left-hand side which leads to a ridge from where there is a very good view of the runway.

richardlittle
31st Oct 2016, 15:38
Thanks all for your help.We went down on Saturday and had a great day. The day started misty but it cleared. they were using 26 so in the end we found our self's by the perimeter road with a few others. For future refrance if some body is going to park in the short term car park use the blue one it's the first one you get to for watching the arrivals. The block hotel was great. I Will post a few shots from the room when I have a bit of time. I have so many photos to do at the moment.:8. Richard

TurboTomato
1st Nov 2016, 09:27
I took a drive down to Ifield/Charlwood Road yesterday lunchtime and it does indeed give a slightly elevated view of the airfield compared to Lowfield Heath Road. You'll need a long lens or decent set of binoculars to make the most of it though. But it seemed popular with the spotters on a 08R day.