PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted from mature commercial pilots

Which_Way
6th Mar 2001, 14:52
What i would like to ask you appears to be complicated and confusing to me, hence the question.

I have a CAA, PPL which i obtained in the US, ihave always had the desire to drive towards a Airline pilots license, but did not have the money. Now i have £20,000 but do not want to spend it with the one school, as i dont believe in putting all your eggs in one basket, and also, the more varied pilots that you meet the better your knowledge will be, learning from many experiences appossed to just the one!

Question : Having a CAA PPL, with a total of 70 hours, what courses would you do and in step bt step order to obtain your ATPL. Travelling to the US is no problem to do hour building but i would want my exams to be CAA, as i believe that the British pilots are the first to get hiried.
Bear in mind that i am trying to streach the money as far as it will go.

Please e-mail me hear at pprune.

Thank you all for your response.....Happy landings

Yogi-Bear
6th Mar 2001, 22:00
Have a look at this: www.ppl-atpl.demon.co.uk (http://www.ppl-atpl.demon.co.uk)
------------------
Yaberdaberdoo. It's OK Boo-Boo.

[This message has been edited by Yogi-Bear (edited 06 March 2001).]

Busta Level
7th Mar 2001, 02:32
Or try www.becomeapilot.fsnet.co.uk (http://www.becomeapilot.fsnet.co.uk) - very useful info. It certainly helped me.

Good luck!

Busta

TooHotToFly
7th Mar 2001, 03:44
I've never read this book, but a couple of points strike me.

1) Bad design of the website. You should NEVER underline words unless they link to another page.

2) "Do you know that the training can be completed in under a year?" - I thought the shortest integrated courses lasted a minimum of 13 months (although I may be wrong).

3) "Do you know that it has never been more affordable to train yourself?" Erm, unless you're still on the CAA system.

4) "Do you know that airlines are facing a desperate pilot shortage?" - I think that line is probably 3 years old now.

5) "Short of coming to visit you in my uniform with my ATPL and logbook in my hand (which you’ll be relieved to hear will not be happening) it is difficult to prove to you at this point in time." I know lots of flying instructors (with gold bars) who have got an ATPL who have never flown for an airline - what does that prove?

I just had a brief look through the site but I found it to be extremely arrogant, and would advise anybody who is considering this book to get "How To Become A Commercial Pilot" by Clive Hughes instead.