PDA

View Full Version : Lily Allen

BehindBlueEyes
24th Oct 2016, 09:58
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/12/lily-allen-apologises-on-behalf-of-england-while-visiting-calais/amp/?client=safari

On behalf of Great Britain, we'd like to apologise to the rest of the world that we are responsible for Lily Allen. We so sorry and ashamed for what we have put you through.

HeartyMeatballs
24th Oct 2016, 10:24
Typical self loathing hate-a-Brit lefty. There's plenty of them around.

Takan Inchovit
24th Oct 2016, 10:28
Typical self loathing hate-a-Brit lefty. There's plenty of them around.

Even noticed one or two here on this forum.

HeartyMeatballs
24th Oct 2016, 10:30
I agree. Plenty of them on here. Usually typical rich people telling the little people what they should think or people who no longer live here yet somehow can't quite cut the chord.

meadowrun
24th Oct 2016, 10:32
Lily Who???

wiggy
24th Oct 2016, 10:54
Lily Who???

Assuming that is a serious question - A Brit female singer songwriter, once thought to be highly talented, (considered for a time as a worthy successor to the much beloved Kirsty Maccoll ) but who's career has been on the wane for years.

She should have who stuck to the day job rather than venturing into making political statements...( as should Mulligan, Cumberbatch, Bono et al).

meadowrun
24th Oct 2016, 11:37
I said it in the same vein as Kanye Who?

wiggy
24th Oct 2016, 11:39
Fair enouff..........

ORAC
24th Oct 2016, 11:53
Lily Allen in diplomatic mode. Warning - the language is explicit - thought it is one of her greatest hits.....

XAnyRGy2iU4

longer ron
24th Oct 2016, 11:59
A Brit female 'singer' songwriter

Bit of a stretch to call her a singer IMO :eek:

BehindBlueEyes
24th Oct 2016, 13:26
Also got a new album out soon, apparently. Might explain the need to raise the old profile a bit?

Expatrick
24th Oct 2016, 13:47
I agree. Plenty of them on here. Usually typical rich people telling the little people what they should think or people who no longer live here yet somehow can't quite cut the chord.

I would love to cut the chord but unfortunately I am forced to pay UK taxes.

bgbazz
24th Oct 2016, 17:10
I'm ashamed to admit that I once admired this young 'lady'.....what a wonderful role model for the younger ones.

:mad:

ShyTorque
24th Oct 2016, 17:22
Well, she certainly never asked for my opinion...

ORAC
24th Oct 2016, 18:32
I do admire her.

There are views she holds that I share, there are some I don't; however I respect the fact she is more than willing to speak out in public in support of them - and in her songs, a sort of female Billy Bragg.

If you have firm views and want to get them out out, you use the platform you have - whether politic, religious, sport, entertainment or whatever. In all cases you will get denigrated by opponents. The easy option is to keep your head down and take the money from where you can get it without offending anyone - the braver is to use it and accept the brickbats.

I totally disagree with her on this subject - but I respect her being willing to campaign and speK out on a subject she feels strongly about.

Politics shouldn't be left to the politicians....

Wingswinger
24th Oct 2016, 19:38
In that video she came across as a foul-mouthed, self-regarding little tart fully capable of the hatred she claimed to be against. Her hatred was directed against those, mostly older people I guess, who happen not to agree with her well thought-out world view. But that's alright. It's just not alright the other way round (sarcasm).

I'd never heard of her.

Andy_S
24th Oct 2016, 19:40
There are views she holds that I share, there are some I don't; however I respect the fact she is more than willing to speak out in public in support of them

That's fine. I have no problem with that. What I object to is her apology on behalf of the whole country. Excuse me? What gives her the right to speak on my behalf.

Seldomfitforpurpose
24th Oct 2016, 19:58
That's fine. I have no problem with that. What I object to is her apology on behalf of the whole country. Excuse me? What gives her the right to speak on my behalf.

She has no right to speak on mine or anyone else's behalf, but if you need your 'chops' in the media because you have a new album coming out....

She would get my admiration if she coughed up her fortune and made her accommodation available to all those coming but as she hasn't then she is simply another 'luvvie' full of sh1te.

neila83
24th Oct 2016, 20:16
It's amazing how much of a problem right wingers suddenly have with freedom of speech when they don't like what's being said. Sensitive little flowers.

The same people who've say we have a 'culture of offence' and political correctness it destroying the world, love to say 'dont be offended it's just a joke!' then go apoplectic if someone, for instance, doesn't sing the national anthem. So easily offended. Too ignorant to understand their own hypocrisy though.

If you have a problem, argue the facts of what she said. As on another thread one particular poster only seems able to throw out insults and question the right of people that don't know to an opinion, rather than debating the facts. I wonder what made you so angry and full of hate, it almost looks like self hate. A lot of that amongst bitter right wingers always looking to blame others for their own inadequacies.

I doubt multi-millionaire widely respected hugely successful artist Lily Allen will lose sleep over some angry frothing right wingers pretending never to have heard of her on a forum. She certainly made a more intelligent contribution to the debate than virtually any on this forum.

denachtenmai
24th Oct 2016, 20:28
As on another thread one particular poster only seems able to throw out insults and question the right of people that don't know to an opinion, rather than debating the facts

You're in trouble now, talking about Knc like that.:E

HeartyMeatballs
24th Oct 2016, 20:31
Nobody knows self hate quite like you do neila83.

As much as you despise us and our country, we had a right to our own opinions and free speech. We do not need someone to take it upon themselves to speak on our behalf. That's what the issue is. Free speech is a privilege and we all have a right to it. We do not need anyone else to speak on our behalf uninvited.

We also take issue with Lily and her type who pontificate. Es they are simply using their platforms to voice their views but they do so forgetting that the less fortunate in our society who will be hit the most by these issues.

I personally do not like hypocrisy and empty promises. How many have promised their home? How many have actually housed an immigrant? Very few I should imagine.

I don't see any contribution from yourself. All you've done is bad mouth an entire country and brand anyone who doesn't agree as right wing extremists.

ORAC
24th Oct 2016, 21:01
Free speech is a privilege No

Free speech is an inalienable right which is not in the remit of the government. Unlike privileges which can be given or withdrawn at a whim.

Here I will proclaim the wisdom of Descartes and J. S. Mill.......

Seldomfitforpurpose
24th Oct 2016, 21:06
It's amazing how much of a problem right wingers suddenly have with freedom of speech when they don't like what's being said. Sensitive little flowers.

Ah the delicious irony, Ms Allen can be offended on behalf of the UK and that's freedom of Speech but if anyone else offended by Ms Allens sentiments they are frothing......

Apparently this freedom of speech thing is a one way street.

neila83
24th Oct 2016, 21:21
Ah the delicious irony, Ms Allen can be offended on behalf of the UK and that's freedom of Speech but if anyone else offended by Ms Allens sentiments they are frothing......

Apparently this freedom of speech thing is a one way street.

Not at all,the difference is very simple, but if I must...The issue at stake is her right to speak, various people have questioned her right to express her opinion on this, which is clearly counter to free speech.

My point is if you disagree with her explain why rather than insulting her and claiming she hasno right to speak on the subject. It's a classic tactic used by the right to shut down an argument they don't like, use some aspect of the persons character and use it to deny them the right to an opinion . If they're rich they're a hypocrite. If a poor person comments on social mobility they're envious, there will always be something. This sums it up well:

http://www.joe.ie/sport/why-gary-lineker-lily-allen-and-you-shouldnt-comment/564545

My point then was that maybe on the right get very upset about people being offended over what they see as PC issues. But they actually behave in exactly the same way if someone crosses one of their own lines, normally related to patriotism.

I would like to know what 'self hating' means. Is it really impossible to understand that some people don't tie their entire perception of themselves to their nationality? I find it very odd you would base your self worth on a chance event such as where you were born rather than your own, actual achievements. As it happens, I'm pretty happy with myself and how I've done, and am glad I was lucky enough to be born in a developed country. There are things I like about Britain as I tell people often, particularly the humour. I just don't like its politics right now, unless we became a facist state, I believe I am entitled to express a dislike for its politics? There is a wonderful world out there, Im lucky to have been able to live in a few parts of it, it's very odd some people seem to think you have to stay in one small part of it and proclaim your absolute love for it, or you are self hating?

As for right wing extremists, well all politics has become polarised, other the left and the right have shifted towards the extremes, then there's those of us somewhere around the middle desperate for a big of sanity and nuanced debate that involves the occasional fact.

Wingswinger
24th Oct 2016, 21:42
No-one here is a right-wing extremist. There are, however, many with vaguely conservative views.

HeartyMeatballs
24th Oct 2016, 21:44
Commenting on politics of a country is fine. Calling a country 'disgusting' is another matter.

I've lived in Spain and the US. I'm well travelled. I do not class myself as self hating whatsoever.

I do wonder why you take such an interest. You hate Britain. You don't live in Britain. Why the interest? Troll much?

longer ron
24th Oct 2016, 21:46
Our 'disgusting' country that a large proportion of people would like to migrate to !!!
Irony alert ;)

Seldomfitforpurpose
24th Oct 2016, 21:53
Not at all,the difference is very simple, but if I must...The issue at stake is her right to speak, various people have questioned her right to express her opinion on this, which is clearly counter to free speech.

My point is if you disagree with her explain why rather than insulting her and claiming she hasno right to speak on the subject. It's a classic tactic used by the right to shut down an argument they don't like, use some aspect of the persons character and use it to deny them the right to an opinion . If they're rich they're a hypocrite. If a poor person comments on social mobility they're envious, there will always be something. This sums it up well:

http://www.joe.ie/sport/why-gary-lineker-lily-allen-and-you-shouldnt-comment/564545

My point then was that maybe on the right get very upset about people being offended over what they see as PC issues. But they actually behave in exactly the same way if someone crosses one of their own lines, normally related to patriotism.

I would like to know what 'self hating' means. Is it really impossible to understand that some people don't tie their entire perception of themselves to their nationality? I find it very odd you would base your self worth on a chance event such as where you were born rather than your own, actual achievements. As it happens, I'm pretty happy with myself and how I've done, and am glad I was lucky enough to be born in a developed country. There are things I like about Britain as I tell people often, particularly the humour. I just don't like its politics right now, unless we became a facist state, I believe I am entitled to express a dislike for its politics? There is a wonderful world out there, Im lucky to have been able to live in a few parts of it, it's very odd some people seem to think you have to stay in one small part of it and proclaim your absolute love for it, or you are self hating?

As for right wing extremists, well all politics has become polarised, other the left and the right have shifted towards the extremes, then there's those of us somewhere around the middle desperate for a big of sanity and nuanced debate that involves the occasional fact.

It's quite simple, she implied she does but she doesn't speak for me.

You have ordained her as having the right to say what she did as it's free speech yet if if I question her right to include me in her opinion I am apparently frothing, hence what happened to my 'free speech' entitlement?

Fareastdriver
24th Oct 2016, 21:57
My point is if you disagree with her explain why rather than insulting her and claiming she hasno right to speak on the subject. It's a classic tactic used by the left to shut down an argument they don't like

Fixed it for you neila 83

RedhillPhil
24th Oct 2016, 23:19
She's just another pseud who, because of her dubious fame thinks herself important enough to make and have people listen to her posturings.
Pseud, because despite her glottal stop singing actually had a posh education at Bedales - the school that the Princess Anne attended. I'd have more respect for her and the Cumbersnatches et al of this world if they took a few desperate immigrants in to their gaffs and put them up.

neila83
24th Oct 2016, 23:59
Commenting on politics of a country is fine. Calling a country 'disgusting' is another matter.

I've lived in Spain and the US. I'm well travelled. I do not class myself as self hating whatsoever.

I do wonder why you take such an interest. You hate Britain. You don't live in Britain. Why the interest? Troll much?
You are asking why a British person, who votes in elections there, who's family live in Britain, is interested in Britain. Seriously? I assume you're not actually that dim, I assume you're just pretending to be dim to try and smear anyone who dares take an opposing view to you. Pretty low debating technique, but it is telling.

Obviously the future of Britain affects me. I have an idea of the kind of country I would like Britain to be, it's just different to yours. I like the Britain that was known as a tolerant, progessive, innovative country, that looked outwards with the aim of bettering itself and the world. That spread culture, that understood, most of all, it wa more powerful as an alliance than on its own; it is a long time since the empire and Britain simply isn't that important on its own. Nothing wrong with that, it's just stating the obvious, we're not that big. Some people really seem to struggle with this. Where people respected experts, intelligence was a valued quality in those who make our decisions, and people didn't dismiss science or evidence just because it doesn't fit with their politics.

There is a version of Brtiain I'm proud of, it's just not the one I see right now. I would like a Britain that doesn't seem so full of hate, whether it be to its own poor, foreigners, disabled people, someone who can't eat a bacon sandwich properly, or whoever the media has told everyone they should hate this week, a media controlled by foreign businessmen who I can assure you do not have Britain's best interests at heart. The Daily mail and Sun have become nothing more than a daily hate, and have whipped up a horrible, nasty mood in the country. I'm not self hating because I know Britain is better than this, and in any case, what other people do is no reflection on me. It's a country of 65,000,000 people, some good, some bad, some indifferent.

Indeed though even if I wasn't British I would be entitled to an opinion, have you never expressed an opinion on any place that you don't live before? I doubt it.

Anyway I can see you won't change your record, so ciao. I've explained several times but you don't understand nuance. If you can't see the difference between finding the current politics and climate of debate in britain disgusting, and finding the place itself inherently disgusting, it's really not worth my time. I want to better Britain, people like you are helping destroy it as a place the world looked to positively. Without fail, people from all other the world are constantly asking me with desbelief what the hell is going on in Britain and how sad it is. If you're happy for us to become an impotent, insignificant islationalist and widely ignored island, while the US, EU and China deal with the world's problems around us, and open themselves up to each other, I wish you luck.

neila83
25th Oct 2016, 00:06
It's quite simple, she implied she does but she doesn't speak for me.

You have ordained her as having the right to say what she did as it's free speech yet if if I question her right to include me in her opinion I am apparently frothing, hence what happened to my 'free speech' entitlement?
I must have missed the part where she said 'and just so no-one is in any doubt, I am particularly speaking on behalf of Seldomfitforpurpose here'.

I don't understand why so upset. She mentioned specific events, and in particular the bombing of someones country who's life has been destroyed. She showed some basic empathy while talking to someone to show we don't all necessarily agree with bombing kids homes, which seems fairly reasonable to me. If that is what upsets you in all this, I would question your priorities.

I find it eye opening that in this whole sage, the only thing that people react and get remotely upset about to is what Lily Allen said, rather than you know, kids who've been bombed out of their homes. Very, very sad. Of course, that is want the media want, for you all to focus on trivalities rather than the actual issues. So well done, job done once again, you've all fallen for it.

meadowrun
25th Oct 2016, 00:22
Thinking that most folks are not pleased with celebrities who have established platforms enabling their words on any subject to be broadcast. You try getting your opinion in a newspaper or on TV! You may well be far better qualified on a subject to voice a worthwhile opinion. "Celebrities" (Singers, Actors, Personalities) are good (or not so good) in their vocations but that in no way makes them worthy of voicing their opinions on any and everything to the masses. (See Bieber booed off-stage for talking more than singing recently, the muddled Mr. West and various others who do the same.
Stick to your chosen vocation.
That said:
Up The Free Speech.

Krystal n chips
25th Oct 2016, 05:49
" No-one here is a right-wing extremist. There are, however, many with vaguely conservative views "

Of course they aren't......just a fine collection of good chaps and kindred spirits with like minded views......all predominantly right, and hard right Tory voters, along with tacit and not so tacit, UKIP supporters......all by some "unfortunate coincidence " of course.

Wingswinger
25th Oct 2016, 06:31
It must be tough being in a righteous minority, Komrad, wandering about with coat collar up and hat pulled down, cursing the rest of us for not seeing the light and making our way onto the sunlight uplands of a Guardianista benefit-claimants paradise. How dare we be independent, free from the diktat of those who know what's best for us?

Seldomfitforpurpose
25th Oct 2016, 06:54
I must have missed the part where she said 'and just so no-one is in any doubt, I am particularly speaking on behalf of Seldomfitforpurpose here'.

I on the other hand did not miss it

"Singer Lily Allen has apologised on "on behalf of my country" while visiting refugees in the Calais 'jungle' camp.

The 31-year-old faced massive backlash online, so much so she was trending on Twitter, after "speaking for the country" while talking about the plight of refugees.

The singer told him: "It just seems that at three different intervals in this young boy’s life, the English in particular have put you in danger."

She has apportioned blame to me that is undeserved and the cheeky cow has absolutely no right to do so.

I have exercised my right to free speech in stating that and your rather tiresome but never the less expected Lefty Liberal response is to accuse me of frothing which as I previously stated is a classic case of pot kettle irony usually found in the ideals of the comfy shoe wearers.

DirtyProp
25th Oct 2016, 06:57
I don't understand why so upset.
Because she is NOT the legal, elected representative of her country.
That's why.
As such she can only speak for herself, not others. Would it be ok with you if Trump would speak on your behalf?

She mentioned specific events, and in particular the bombing of someones country who's life has been destroyed. She showed some basic empathy while talking to someone to show we don't all necessarily agree with bombing kids homes, which seems fairly reasonable to me. If that is what upsets you in all this, I would question your priorities.

Marketing, marketing, marketing.
The Prime Moron of my country spent a huge amount of taxpayers money to recover a boat that sank in the Mediterranean last year, killing a large number of migrants that were trying to get "rescued" to come to Europe.
Do you think he did it out of his goodness? Not at all.
He wants to show it to his European partners and hopefully have them weep and cry for the migrants tragedy, in order to gain more money and support from them.
That's why he did it.

I find it eye opening that in this whole sage, the only thing that people react and get remotely upset about to is what Lily Allen said, rather than you know, kids who've been bombed out of their homes. Very, very sad. Of course, that is want the media want, for you all to focus on trivalities rather than the actual issues. So well done, job done once again, you've all fallen for it.
I find it eye opening that many do-gooders with OPM still don't want to accept the fact that many so-called "poor refugees" are not refugees at all.
Not everybody comes from Syria or from a a war-torn place but those pesky little details somehow get lost in translation.

ExRAFRadar
25th Oct 2016, 07:08
Jeez dont get so wound up by this. She's a spoilt little rich girl who probably ordered a massage and herbal bath when she got back to her Cotswold home to get over the strain of her trip.

From a website:
"Lily Allen recently bought a house in the Cotswolds (September 2010) located in the hamlet of Overtown near the village of Cranham 3 miles from Painswick (http://www.cotswolds.info/places/painswick.shtml) (known as the Queen of the Cotswolds)"

So she really has her finger on the pulse of the Inner City and those area where Immigrants are put when they arrive in this country.

She's been out of the news for a while and with a new album is due out (Lily Allen's new songs are 'some of her best ever', says Mark Ronson (http://www.nme.com/news/music/lily-allen-5-1195351)) so her publicity machine is in full swing.

G-CPTN
25th Oct 2016, 09:10
So she really has her finger on the pulse of the Inner City and those area where Immigrants are put when they arrive in this country.
Government 'fails to tell Great Torrington town they will host up to 70 Calais migrants' (http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/724431/Home-Office-Calais-Jungle-migrants-teenagers-Great-Torrington-Cavaliers-devon-Conservative).

Ogre
25th Oct 2016, 09:13
I tried pasting this here, but it's easier to just put the link in

https://xkcd.com/1357/

And as a British subject I am not surprised that she describes how "the English have put you in danger". The Scots, Welsh and Irish thank you for leaving them out of it.....

wings folded
25th Oct 2016, 22:21
Basil,

The first amendment to what?

BehindBlueEyes
26th Oct 2016, 12:10
Lily Allen: 'I would take in a refugee' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37633937)

Excellent then Lily love - looks like there's quite a few looking for a new gaff right now. Bet a home in the Cotswolds would be beyond their wildest dreams after The Jungle in Calais.

sitigeltfel
27th Oct 2016, 14:25
She's at it again...

Lily Allen: People Who Question Age of 'Child Migrants' Are Like Nazis (http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/10/27/lily-allen-people-question-age-child-migrants-like-nazis/)

:ugh:

yellowtriumph
27th Oct 2016, 15:06
The gift that keeps on giving.

Sallyann1234
27th Oct 2016, 15:13
It's two weeks now since she said she would take in a refugee.
Has she done so yet?

yellowtriumph
27th Oct 2016, 15:34
I'm really surprised one of the tabloids haven't managed to get a refugee legally into the country and then rocked up to Lily's place and say 'there you go". Same at Nicola Sturgeon's gaff, Yvette's Cooper's house (though Stoke Newington or Castleford?) and of course Sir Bob who said he'd put up families at his houses (3 and counting?).

sitigeltfel
27th Oct 2016, 16:26
It's two weeks now since she said she would take in a refugee.
Has she done so yet?

There are a lot of gullible people who have been taken by in by her, and those like her.

meadowrun
27th Oct 2016, 19:52
Well, she said it publically on the airwaves to all and sundry. Let's keep an eye on her and see if she does live up to her word....now is the time Lily....it is an emergent situation...the kids are available now...how's your schedule?

trident3A
28th Oct 2016, 11:38
only person worse than Lily Allen is her f***in dad