PDA

View Full Version : Adler shottie

tartare
22nd Oct 2016, 00:57
Australia centric apologies.
There's a massive to do here about Adler shotguns, as if they're some kind of weapon of mass destruction.
On hearing about it - I thought someone had invented a fully automatic shotgun :E
But when I see them on the telly, they just look like a plain old lever action six shot shotgun?
FFS - what's all the fuss about???
A massacre weapon?
Why not call for a ban all lever action rifles as well??
Jesus wept.

Edit: I see there is such a thing as a full auto shottie - step forward the AA-12 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8) and Saiga! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuBPL81DbLU)
Now that'd have the pants wetters worried...

parabellum
22nd Oct 2016, 01:13
Problem here are bikie gangs and drive by shootings tartare, don't want to make it more lethal and easier for them do we?

galaxy flyer
22nd Oct 2016, 01:25
I'm amazed you can't have a M12 pump in OZ. Lever action shotguns are pretty much unknown in the US and have been for a century since the Winchester M1897.

GF

tartare
22nd Oct 2016, 01:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PyUE-Cj6PQ

reefrat
22nd Oct 2016, 01:44
As I understand it the argument is about capacity,, 5 shot version is available, 7 shot is prohibited,, difference is a screw on extension to the magazine. Its all about political manoeuvring, and states rights horsh"t, and has nothing to do with lethality , if that is a real word, and lever action is not the prefered choice for drivebys, the AA-12 is the jobby for that, and is quite rightly banned here.

porch monkey
22nd Oct 2016, 09:07
Yeah, let's ban the 7 shot, but if you modify it to 5, then we'll let it in. Then, once you get one, as many have already done, modify the mag tube for up to 14 instead. Perfectly legal. Go figure..........

Pinky the pilot
22nd Oct 2016, 10:16
reefrat has it nailed quite well!:ok: porch monkey also has as good point.

A question for anyone who really knows about Firearms in general;

A five shot, lever action 12 gauge Shotty; Which is only reloadable by individually pushing cartridges into the loading slot.

A seven shot lever action 12 gauge Shotty; Which is only reloadable by individually pushing cartridges into the loading slot.

A 10 shot bolt action Lee Enfield .303; Which is reloadable by 5 round stripper clips.

Please name the most lethal in unlawful hands.....;:eek::hmm:

For the record; I am a licenced law abiding Firearms owner and licenced collector. And I was and still am, deeply opposed to the confiscation scheme and general vilification of law abiding firearms owners that was instituted by the former PM of Australia John Howard, 'the lying Rodent.':* (as described by one of his own fellow MPs!:=)

rjtjrt
22nd Oct 2016, 11:04
Problem here are bikie gangs and drive by shootings tartare, don't want to make it more lethal and easier for them do we?

Parabellum, you inadvertently make the point as to why banning them is a feel good move rather than practical, if that is your concern.
Banning them isn't going to stop the bikie gangs or other criminals from getting them - they can get any number of any illegal firearm.

blue up
22nd Oct 2016, 11:09
Kalashnikov made a nice .410 shotgun version of the AK47 with a long barrel for the UK market. Now no longer permitted for import. Never could work out what the issue was since it couldn't be converted back to 7.62

Tankertrashnav
22nd Oct 2016, 15:10
Just added "shottie" to my ever-growing list of Australian diminutives.

New one on me :ok:

(Oh, and just added "bikie", although as it is the same length as "biker" it seems a bit pointless as a diminutive!)

Peter-RB
22nd Oct 2016, 17:09
Hey you Hot Shots,
Just thank your luck you dont live here in the "Good Ole UK" 3 shot auto is the max allowable if you had a Remmie or a Browning 5 shotter you had to have it crimped and a cert issued to say it would only handle 3 Cartridges max..took a lot of getting used to especially on Crow or Pigeon shoots, Likewise all rifles cannot be Full Auto , only one shot per trigger pull..!:ugh:

Carbon Bootprint
22nd Oct 2016, 19:40
I first saw the word "shottie" on a US gun board, but if the Aussies want cred for it, good on them.

As GF says, lever action shotguns are not commonly encountered in the US. My defensive shottie is a Winchester 1300 Defender with an extended tube and 18-inch barrel. Supposedly one of the quickest pump action shotguns available. Hopefully it'll never be needed, as it's one of the last layers of protection after the dogs and the alarm system and a handgun usually closer to hand. There are easier places to hit in my neighborhood. Anyone paying any attention would know that. Not that the average bad guys have shown a high degree of intelligence.

Never heard of an Adler, though. Do they sell them in the States?

ETA - P-RB, here in the good ole US shotguns for hunting are limited in most states to holding no more than three rounds. It's one of the first things a game warden will check, after one's hunting license. If you're not in the field, though, pretty much anything goes, except for some states like NY and CA.

cattletruck
23rd Oct 2016, 00:27
Just added "shottie" to my ever-growing list of Australian diminutives

TTN-o, it's not a diminutive but rather a morphology of the Australian spoken language where the key noun in a sentence has a vowel appended to it if it doesn't end in one already. Thus it is pronounced shot-e.

Back on topic, I reckon the senator behind all this just wants the laws changed to suite his own personal use on the farm, methinks it has nothing to do with the safety of the masses, and I bet the good old senator couldn't really care about them.

neila83
23rd Oct 2016, 04:52
There are still people who think their right to enjoy a gun is more important than other people's right not to be shot? Legal guns = more deaths. That's a fact, and a fairly obvious logical one. So you have to explain why guns are soooo important to you that peoples kids should keep dying. As for the second amendment the day someone can can tell me how an assault rifle bears any relevance to a constitution written over 200 years ago about a specific threat from men with muskets, I'm all ears.

(Never understood why something being in the constitution makes it involable anyway, everything had to stay the same as 200 years ago? Theres a clue in the name - amendment)

porch monkey
23rd Oct 2016, 05:57
I guess in your rush to peddle your anti gun agenda, you probly didn't notice, but we're generally talking about Australia. Take your 2nd amendment, legal guns = death bullshit elsewhere. Plenty of examples in the wider world to prove either argument. Done to death here.

Jonno_aus
23rd Oct 2016, 07:13
"A massive do"
Lol. All 4 gun nuts in Australia making noise at once?

"A massive do". Lol lol lol.

neila83
23rd Oct 2016, 07:39
I guess in your rush to peddle your anti gun agenda, you probly didn't notice, but we're generally talking about Australia. Take your 2nd amendment, legal guns = death bullshit elsewhere. Plenty of examples in the wider world to prove either argument. Done to death here.

No, the same arguments apply whether it's Australia or the US. The evidence actually very clearly shows that places with less guns have less gun crime. I would love to see your evidence based argument that guns reduce gun crime though.

I lived in Fiji for two years and have a lot of Australian friends from there. But they are also the kind who think it's not OK to send people to Nauru, so I guess you won't consider their opinion valid.

Captain Dart
23rd Oct 2016, 07:54
I'm an Aussie, and I agree that it is not OK to send people to Nauru.

These illegal queue-jumping economic immigrants who paid people smugglers for passages on dangerous boats should have been immediately sent back to their country of origin; not housed, fed, medicated and lawyered-up on a Pacific island at Australian taxpayers' expense.

Many Europeans don't have any idea of the damage done to Australia's environment by introduced rabbits, foxes, pigs, cats, goats and camels. There are now wild dogs and deer in my area. More guns do mean more deaths: for these alien species that ravage my farm, my country and its native animals. My current shottie is too heavy and too slow, and as I am not a great shot, I will certainly consider an Adler.

Flying Binghi
23rd Oct 2016, 07:56
Why use a six round shot gun when you can use an eighty round ASSAULT TRUCK ?

Proven to work in France....:hmm:

porch monkey
23rd Oct 2016, 08:09
No, not the same argument. Unlike the USA, no one in Aus has a "right" to a gun. Like every other law abiding citizen, I have to show a genuine reason to possess. And that doesn't include self defence. I have to prove good character, amongst other things, to enable me to possess the implements of one of my chosen sports. And I'm happy to do that, too. I have to secure the firearms and the ammo. And I'm happy to do that as well. There are enough restrictions on my chosen sport, and I resent holier than thou, pretentious wankers telling me what sports I should or should not partake of and how I run my life.
Peter, at least they let you keep your semi auto shotties..... 3 shots even.

tartare
23rd Oct 2016, 09:22
I think it's a dreadful shame there's so much misinformation and heated emotion around guns.
Yes there are some horrible misuses of them.
But the approach I've adopted with my boy is to teach him about them in detail; one of the first things we did when he was quite young was to go down to a gun shop.
He was about six and had heard some nonsense at school from PC teachers.
"Well," I said "...would you like to see some real guns, and maybe hold one?"
Off we go down to the local gunshop.
The guys were great.
A chance to hold a pistol and a .22 look at some rounds - and talk about safety, look at the precision and engineering involved.
"Heavy - aren't they!"
He was fascinated by the Barrett - "a rifle that can fire through a car engine?!"
He's now 15 - and on a recent cadets field trip - was stoked to be able to cock a .50

Tankertrashnav
23rd Oct 2016, 11:08
TTN-o, it's not a diminutive but rather a morphology of the Australian spoken language where the key noun in a sentence has a vowel appended to it if it doesn't end in one already. Thus it is pronounced shot-e.

I stand corrected on the terminology. I note with some amusement that members of my family who recently moved from the UK to Australia are already talking about "rellies", "veggies" etc. It must be catching!

When my son first took an interest in guns I got him to fire one 12 bore cartridge into a piece of rotten wood placed a few yards away. I got him to inspect the results and told him that's what a 12 bore could do to him if he didn't handle it with care and respect. I don't think he ever forgot the lesson.

I didn't know we could have 3-shot guns in the UK, Peter. The only gun I use now is my little side by side Belgian .410 "poachers gun" which I use for rats. I reckon if I can't hit them with two barrels the little buggers deserve to get away.

radeng
23rd Oct 2016, 15:22
A now deceased friend was, before his retirement, a very senior policeman in Norfolk. He told me that he considered the UK gun control a waste of time, in that he had 275,000 legally held weapons in the county (seems a hell of a lot but he should have known) and in seven years, not one of them was used for illegal purposes. There were shootings and hold ups, but not with legally held weapons.....

galaxy flyer
23rd Oct 2016, 17:15
niela83

The US "right to keep and bear firearms" does NOT mean a "right to threaten, brandish or kill" anyone. A distinct difference.

GF

Peter-RB
24th Oct 2016, 15:20
Hey TTN,
when I was about 18 I had one similar with a hollow/cut out stock , it was brilliant it would go down my windjammer when cycling around the wilds of Yorkshire WR, Settle, ready to pull out and use in a jiffy, like a clot I swapped it for a 12 bore single barrel Greener GP the one with the Martini Action...trouble with that,it was not explained that it was a bugger to eject a crimped cartridge case once fired..it really was nice to use and carry but ICI stopped making the cartridge with the cork stopper and went almost fully onto crimped, much simpler days then..;)

Tankertrashnav
24th Oct 2016, 17:15
Mine folds and goes inside a waxed jacket or similar. I've also got one of those .410 conversions of an SMLE. Bit of a novelty, but far too heavy to hump around just to fire off a single cartridge, so it tends to stay in the cabinet.