PDA

View Full Version : confused

knighty
6th Mar 2001, 12:42
I'm 28 years old and have always dreamt of becoming a pilot. I have $35,000 saved, a five year working/residency visa for Oz, and a very supporting partner. I have also spent the last few years with my head in every avaition mag/book that goes and it's all going in....steadily. All set really!! My plans are to take my CPL with multi engine/instrument rating whilst living in Sydney and either instruct or find that first job with a small airline. Not as easy as it sounds, I know, and will mean moving around unless I get really lucky, but I have grit like the rest of you and WILL make it!! I have found my school of choice and done my homework. There is one very important rock that I have not fully uncovered and that is the question of conversion to JAR !. I may return to the UK o, one day, and would obviously want to continue my aviation career. I have read about taking all my exams again, some say it can be done, others say not. If there is anyone out there with any experience of my dilema then please let me know.
Help me OB1...your my only hope.

------------------

[This message has been edited by knighty (edited 14 June 2001).]

TooHotToFly
7th Mar 2001, 00:48
If you wish to convert to a JAR licence, no matter how many hours you have got, you will have to sit the JAR ATPL ground exams. If you meet the required hours for an ATPL (1500 TT, 500 multi-crew) then you just need to sit the JAR ATPL skill test. If you don't meet the hours and would like to convert to a JAA CPL/IR, you will need to sit the CPL skill test, but there are no minimum number of hours training that you have to do. Then you will have to do an approved IR course (in your case 50 hours) and sit the test.

Hope that helps.

wannabecaptain
8th Mar 2001, 19:38
Knighty,
Youre right not an easy task but if you are willing to put the work in then you will get there.
On the JAR front yes you can go over there and convert your Oz CPL/ATPL however the conditions above apply AND it will cost you a lot of money. (Not sure but well over 10k crrect me if I am wrong)
Make sure the school knows your intentions and find out what the chances are of them taking you on as a pilot or instructor. From my limited experience I have found that companies are more willing to take on people they have trained.
Hope this helps
wc

------------------
3 things useless to a pilot, runway behind you, air above you and fuel left in the bowser